How 'far' Is Exactly... Far?

Hi guys,

I'm new here so I was doing quite abit of browsing much earlier on. I'd say plenty of mighty useful tips for an expat in Bangkok!

I was out on the net hunting my my accomodation when I came upon The Narathiwas at Narathiwas Road near Soi 24. As my future workplace is going to be at South Sathorn Road, I looked at the map provided in the website and saw it was just, well, "3 streets away". Looks quite a short distance I think. Even when I was checking about The Narathiwas here, a chap here says its merely a '5min walk down to the main road'. It looked close enough for me.

Yesterday, I decided to confirm more things so I did a quick hunt at Google Maps and to my extreme horror, it appeared that The Narathiwas IS LOCATED RATHER NEAR TO THE RIVER AND SEEMINGLY FAR AWAY FROM SATHORN AND SOUTH SATHORN ROAD!

I'm currently located in Singapore where the locals definition of 'near' refers to anywhere within a 3 to 10min walking radius. Having stayed here for most of my life, I'd decided to move onto a bigger country to work, unfortunately I'm not very sure what does the Thai Definition of 'near' actually is. Is it a 3km trek and they will call it 'not far' or is it just a 500m to 1km walk and they will call it 'not far'?

Having been to Japan and tasted what the Japanese walking speed is like, a so-called '5min walk' can turn into a 10min walk. So would pretty much appreciate some Thai Definition of 'far' and 'near'. Thanks! :)

Time measurement by Thais, is the time taken for the motorcycle taxi to send you to that destination, not walk.

Thanks. :)

Checked with the Narathiwas earlier, fortunately, they do have free shuttle buses which I guess, takes some effort outta the legs (I do have bad knees so I can't walk as far like so many years ago!).

Thanks once again! :D

Hi guys,

I'm new here so I was doing quite abit of browsing much earlier on. I'd say plenty of mighty useful tips for an expat in Bangkok!

I was out on the net hunting my my accomodation when I came upon The Narathiwas at Narathiwas Road near Soi 24. As my future workplace is going to be at South Sathorn Road, I looked at the map provided in the website and saw it was just, well, "3 streets away". Looks quite a short distance I think. Even when I was checking about The Narathiwas here, a chap here says its merely a '5min walk down to the main road'. It looked close enough for me.

Yesterday, I decided to confirm more things so I did a quick hunt at Google Maps and to my extreme horror, it appeared that The Narathiwas IS LOCATED RATHER NEAR TO THE RIVER AND SEEMINGLY FAR AWAY FROM SATHORN AND SOUTH SATHORN ROAD!

I'm currently located in Singapore where the locals definition of 'near' refers to anywhere within a 3 to 10min walking radius. Having stayed here for most of my life, I'd decided to move onto a bigger country to work, unfortunately I'm not very sure what does the Thai Definition of 'near' actually is. Is it a 3km trek and they will call it 'not far' or is it just a 500m to 1km walk and they will call it 'not far'?

Having been to Japan and tasted what the Japanese walking speed is like, a so-called '5min walk' can turn into a 10min walk. So would pretty much appreciate some Thai Definition of 'far' and 'near'. Thanks! :)

Pavements in Bangkok are not the same as in Singapore, perhaps earthquakes hits at night and new holes and cracks appears in the morning, they're not kind on fine leather shoes either, molds loves to grow on shoes contaminated with flood waters, some sois in bangkok still floods every time after the afternoon shower! Bangkokians walks 2 to 3 building blocks to jump on bikes, tuk-tuk or cars ... fellow expats at work might have suggestions to close-by accomodation, or leg it yourself to find.

To be absolutely sure were you want to live perhaps it would be prudent of you to rent a serviced apartment for the first month.

Don't lock yourself into a contract "site unseen".

I would be very wary of this establishment. They have misled you allready and in all likelyhood they will mislead you again.

"Yesterday, I decided to confirm more things so I did a quick hunt at Google Maps and to my extreme horror, it appeared that The Narathiwas IS LOCATED RATHER NEAR TO THE RIVER AND SEEMINGLY FAR AWAY FROM SATHORN AND SOUTH SATHORN ROAD!"

"Seemingly"? Narathiwas soi 24 is about 2kms south of South Sathorn Road. Is that "far"?

"Seemingly"? Narathiwas soi 24 is about 2kms south of South Sathorn Road. Is that "far"?

Hmm..... Well 2km IS far for me and perhaps not within a decent 'walking distance range' to me at least. Unless there are folks who are willing to trek 4km to & fro their office everyday. Sigh~

To be absolutely sure were you want to live perhaps it would be prudent of you to rent a serviced apartment for the first month.

Don't lock yourself into a contract "site unseen".

I would be very wary of this establishment. They have misled you allready and in all likelyhood they will mislead you again.

Well, perhaps they did not really mislead me. Like u had said, "Site Unseen", it may be a simple case of pure assumption on my part. I haven't been to Bangkok yet and a lot of information is pretty much guesswork & assumption. So I guess things will sort themselves out when I reach BKK to have a look at the ground situation myself.

pavements in Bangkok are not the same as in Singapore, perhaps earthquakes hits at night and new holes and cracks appears in the morning, they're not kind on fine leather shoes either, molds loves to grow on shoes contaminated with flood waters, some sois in bangkok still floods every time after the afternoon shower! Bangkokians walks 2 to 3 building blocks to jump on bikes, tuk-tuk or cars ... fellow expats at work might have suggestions to close-by accomodation, or leg it yourself to find.

Perhaps Singapore is a little 'too safe' and strange things can happen with your thoughts when you are surrounded day-in-day-out with a too cushy and comfortable lifestyle and you start to assume everything in the world's all fine and dandy.

Fortunately my other half decided that enough was enough and its time to move away from a cushy environment and I personally thought it would be good too. I'll take note of your advice as well. Thanks! :)

To say Narathiwas Soi 24 is 5-10 minute walk to Silom or even Sathorn is a bit of an exaggeration to say the least. Classic case of trying to make an awkward location sound better then it really is.

You would be better off looking at smaller numbered Sois of Narathiwas or even Suan Plu off Sathorn. Narathiwas Soi 7 has a number of nice apartment buildings.

TH

If you insist living there, you should know that there's regular bus service along Narathiwas (ol' 77 will take you to the BTS). Eventually, there'll be the BRT in the neighborhood.

If you insist living there, you should know that there's regular bus service along Narathiwas (ol' 77 will take you to the BTS). Eventually, there'll be the BRT in the neighborhood.

BRT? Took over 40 years to get a new airport, and another 6 years for a train service to it.

How long will he be renting his unit at Narathiwas?

Edited by trogers

BRT? Took over 40 years to get a new airport, and another 6 years for a train service to it.

How long will he be renting his unit at Narathiwas?

Well, definitely less than 6 years for sure! :)

So unless I stay there for 10 years, probably I won't see BRT service. :D

A round trip from the house to the letterbox is cosidered a long trip for some thai girls i know.

If motorsai drivers could run this route then they would do great business in my neighbourhood :)

Are these girls regular patrons of some fitness clubs like California WoW?

To say Narathiwas Soi 24 is 5-10 minute walk to Silom or even Sathorn is a bit of an exaggeration to say the least. Classic case of trying to make an awkward location sound better then it really is.

You would be better off looking at smaller numbered Sois of Narathiwas or even Suan Plu off Sathorn. Narathiwas Soi 7 has a number of nice apartment buildings.

TH

Hmm... Interesting tip. I'll look around some more.