British Couple Fights Bangkok Airport Extortionists

george

Why is this site always removing posts and without even saying why?

I make a simply reply and yet again it gets removed!

Perhaps you never hit 'Add Reply'. I've done it before now - hit preview and then forgot to reply.

Either that or you pressed someone's button (pun intended).

I believe very strongly that this amounts to a type of terrorism, by definition, not just extortion, and that everyone involved should face severe penalties. Maybe even as someone else suggested, "a crime against Thailand" or even a crime against the countries of those terrorized.

If Thailand doesn't take a strong stance against the perpetrators, including police involved, I can assure them extensive coverage of every incident of this type in the U.S. media.

This Sri Lanken criminal should be easy to find and jailed just on what he has already openly admitted.

I don't think he should be jailed. He shot be shot along with every other perp in on it. It's the only type of thing that will act as a deterrent. Thailand's name is currently getting dragged through the dirt by the actions of a few in terrorising unsuspecting tourists.

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you fly in to Bangkok you get leaflet informing you of 'swine flu' and what to do, etc.

Maybe a nice leaflet should be given out informing passengers that scams are taking place in the airport.

They will never do that. :)

I mean they dont even warn tourists that you can also end up in jail here for not carrying your passport

at all times. How many tourists would be aware of that ? And yet they take it so seriously here

if you are asked for your passport and cannot produce it there and then. Instead of trying to trip people up

on this issue ,there would be nothing to stop them printing a sentence in bold red print

on the Arrival Card about this issue instead of asking crappy questions

about how much is your salary ? :D

I like to point out Thailands flaws as readily as the next righteous person that believes in fairness and justice but jailing you for not having your passport on your person? No. Try to scam money out of you yes. I always just tell them I work here and don't carry my passport like a tourist, it's worked several times.

Why is this site always removing posts and without even saying why?

I make a simply reply and yet again it gets removed!

I did give an explanation:

I have deleted a post that claims that the couple stole the wallet, as the article offers no proof of that and the poster being challenged by other posters offered no explanation for his claim. I have also deleted his off topic comments about Tesco Lotus.

Unfortunately that also means that I had to deleted the responses to these posts, but with his comments deleted they didn't make much sense anymore.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/British-Coup...83#entry2840283

Always look further down the thread for an explanetion. If we have to delete a lot of posts it is much easier for us to make a public annoucement then to contact all indiviual members who posted.

I believe very strongly that this amounts to a type of terrorism,........
I don't think he should be jailed. He shot be shot along with every other perp in on it.........

Dear oh dear!..............children, children, can we please stick to sensible discussion.

Edited by jackspratt

In my opinion, as the Thai economy spirals down into chaos, the scams will become more common, and we are perhaps contributing to the development of future scams in an odd sort of way. Sort of a Darwinian evolution of scams - - This Thai Visa thread has served well to expose one type of scam, a scam that can be easily avoided by avoiding all airport shops.

Well, as soon as the KP fake shop lifting scam dries up as a source of income, the scammers must think of something new and more aggressive, and perhaps they will blind side us with something new and innovative that we didn't see coming.

And it is entirely our fault…

On the other hand, I personally always see opportunity in adversity. I'm thinking that I should offer tea money to the Immigration Police, the Tourist Police, all three airport mafias, the taxi mafia, and all of the freelance scamming translators. Then, I will set up a kiosk in each arrival hall at swampy boom. My buddy at the cop shop can procure some brown uniforms for all of my friends and myself. I will erect an official-looking sign over each kiosk, something not so subtle, like "Pay Protection Registry Fee Here". Even if I only skim 2,000 or 3,000 Baht off of one-percent of the arriving newbies, it all adds up. In return for having their name placed on the official-looking protection-registry, the new doe-eyed marks will be issued a "Thailand Protection Card", which will be about as valuable as the old "Thai Privilege Card". The fake protection cards are Phase One of the scam. In Phase Two of the scam I will sell the names and hotel addresses of the "Protected Persons" to the Gem Scammers and offer them free tours as part of the protection package.

I can do this. See Y'all in the airport…

Judge Dredd

post-48942-1246330554_thumb.jpg

BRILLIANT..... i want in! Where do I sign up? And don't ay at one of the official looking desks at Swamy...... :)

Verry funny!

:) I lived in Thailand for seven years from 2000 - 2007 and never once experienced any major problems. I traveled all over the country and spent considerable time in Bangkok. I am back now for over two months in Bangkok and agree a lot has changed in two years. I have always went out of my way to be very careful not to get into any trouble here but have known many others who did. I guess I have been lucky.

LL

I like to point out Thailands flaws as readily as the next righteous person that believes in fairness and justice but jailing you for not having your passport on your person? No. Try to scam money out of you yes. I always just tell them I work here and don't carry my passport like a tourist, it's worked several times.

Not always enforced but please get your facts right. carrying your passport is mandatory and failure to do so is a criminal and arrestable offence which can and has resulted in an overnight stay in jail. Remember we are under thai law and the fact that that is different from that in the west is of no consequence.

Not always enforced but please get your facts right. carrying your passport is mandatory and failure to do so is a criminal and arrestable offence which can and has resulted in an overnight stay in jail. Remember we are under thai law and the fact that that is different from that in the west is of no consequence.

IF it is a law, it has been turned into a scam by the Thai Police.

I have yet to meet anyone who has been issued with a receipt by the Police Scammers! :)

BTW I can't see how KP could not be involved when the alledged theft of an unseen wallet happened at one of their stores. You can't have a theft without a victim complaint, the victim being KP in this case.

Harry is correct. :)

Well, no. The complaint is being made on behalf of KP.

But KP can ask from it's employers to report to the management if the hand a shoplifter over to the police. Then the management can decide if they will offer or accept a financial settlement. If there are complaints about scams, then the management can check if they know about this case and if they offered a setlement or not.

Scams would then require involvement of a higher management and a settlement would then have to end up in the books and not in someones pocket.

It would be nice to know what the internal proccedures are at KP when someone is caught shoplifting.

In understand most of your post but what does " from it's emplyers" mean?

I don't think he should be jailed. He shot be shot along with every other perp in on it.........

Dear oh dear!..............children, children, can we please stick to sensible discussion.

Okay Brainiac, here's the definition for you, so you can compare it to the topic at hand and the actions of those involved. Not to mention the effects of being held in a Thai jail facing false criminal charges. Do you need me to also post the definition of coerce, or do you think you can manage some understanding?

ter⋅ror⋅ismter-uh-riz-uhthinsp.pngm–noun

1.the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce.

2.the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.

Main Entry: ter·ror·ism

Pronunciation: 'ter-&r-"i-z&m

Function: noun

1 : the unlawful use or threat of violence. esp. against the state or the public

as a politically motivated means of attack or coercion

2 : violent and intimidating gang activity

Got it now, DAD?!

Edited by johnefallis

BTW I can't see how KP could not be involved when the alledged theft of an unseen wallet happened at one of their stores. You can't have a theft without a victim complaint, the victim being KP in this case.

Harry is correct. :)

Well, no. The complaint is being made on behalf of KP.

But KP can ask from it's employers to report to the management if the hand a shoplifter over to the police. Then the management can decide if they will offer or accept a financial settlement. If there are complaints about scams, then the management can check if they know about this case and if they offered a setlement or not.

Scams would then require involvement of a higher management and a settlement would then have to end up in the books and not in someones pocket.

It would be nice to know what the internal proccedures are at KP when someone is caught shoplifting.

In understand most of your post but what does " from it's emplyers" mean?

You got me there, I don't know what emplyers means too. But I did use the word employers where I should have used employees. I will correct it in the original text.

IF it is a law, it has been turned into a scam by the Thai Police.

I have yet to meet anyone who has been issued with a receipt by the Police Scammers! :)

It is law.

(I am not associating myself with your view on a scam by the police) - = against forum rules anyway

It is law.

(I am not associating myself with your view on a scam by the police) - = against forum rules anyway

We had a discussion on this topic a few months ago in the visa section and the conclusion was that there is no Thai law stating that you must carry an ID at all times. There is however a requirement to produce it within a reasonable time.

A memebr offerd to contact high police official if someone can show him a ticket for not carrying an ID.

And that is enough about this, as I fear we are getting off topic in this case.

Edit:

I believe reasonable time was 1 or 2 hours, depending on circumstances.

Okay Brainiac, here's the definition for you, so you can compare it to the topic at hand and the actions of those involved. Not to mention the effects of being held in a Thai jail facing false criminal charges. Do you need me to also post the definition of coerce, or do you think you can manage some understanding?

ter⋅ror⋅ismter-uh-riz-uhthinsp.pngm–noun

1.the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce. , esp. for political purposes.

2.the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.

Main Entry: ter·ror·ism

Pronunciation: 'ter-&r-"i-z&m

Function: noun

1 : the unlawful use or threat of violence. esp. against the state or the public

as a politically motivated means of attack or coercion

2 : violent and intimidating gang activity

Got it now, DAD?!

Please note the parts you deleted from your "definition" above. I am sure mummy wouldn't be pleased with your attempted deception.

You really are a silly sausage :)

Without searching in detail I’m not sure what to make of the data below, but I thought I might get an idea of how susceptible to scams people are in Thailand compared to other places by searching on Google. This is what I found.

Bangkok airport scam 39000 results

Ho Chi Minh airport scam 18200

Hanoi airport scam 6460

Sydney airport scam 30900

Bangkok scam 611000 results

HCM scam 47900

Hanoi scam 91000

Sydney scam 1 780 000

Thailand scam 2 010 000 results

Vietnam scam 3 140 000

Australia scam 17 900 000

I also discovered a website at http://www.bangkokscams.com which exposes scams here. The Australian government has a website also at http://www.scamwatch.gov.au

Perhaps the scary thing about scams here is that they seem to be tolerated by the authorities. Indeed, it appears that the authorities actually participate in them.

Edited by Xangsamhua

I did give an explanation:

http: //www.thaivisa.com/forum/British-Coup...83#entry2840283

Always look further down the thread for an explanetion. If we have to delete a lot of posts it is much easier for us to make a public annoucement then to contact all indiviual members who posted.

You had me excited there,

Surely even a Super Moderator cannot suggest one of those :)

Xangsamhua said:

Perhaps the scary thing about scams here is that they seem to be tolerated by the authorities. Indeed, it appears that the authorities actually participate in them.

You got it.

I always just tell them I work here and don't carry my passport like a tourist, it's worked several times.

That tactic wouldn't work if you were trying to leave the country though would it.

?? We were talking about getting randomly stopped by police and asked to see a passport which is a regular scam, Caf even tried to insist you can go to jail but he doesn't know what he is talking about. You need a passport to go from country to country, no one is arguing with you on that one.

This is not the first time people have been jailed under strange circumstances after visiting King Power
This is the sort of company king power are,

That's slanderous. I think unless you have something better than your cigarette anecdote and have evidence of company instigation of or acquiescence to any related activity you should take it back .

Seems to me the owner of Kingpower would be extremely upset about all this.

If I were the complainant I'd be straight on the blower to him.

Seems like he'd be the best person to get things done and get heads chopped if he were sent the relevant information.

John

Why didn't he/she investigate after the first few incidents???? Not in on it???

This is very very scary stuff....there for the grace of God go any one of us.

The depths of sleaze and corruption knows no bounds for the Thugs In Brown and their partners in crime who clearly are also in areas of authority and trust. They have shown themselves to be a despicable lot that are doing untold damage to their country. How can they look at themselves and claim they love their King, their country and their countrymen?

Is there anybody in power in Thailand who is willing to stop this rot...this cancer??? It is endemic throughout the whole system and I fear for the future of Thailand as it is getting worse.

If sensible discussion would bring about a sensible outcome, I'm all for it; but all you're doing is essentially talking crap and getting nowhere. It needs a rough, Singaporean-style approach, although understand that would first require a modicum of education/awareness by the general populace. What say you pratt?

I bought something in the KP shop in Suwanabhumi a few months back on a visa run.

The girl handed me my purchase in a bag, but no receipt. I asked for a receipt (with so many stringent airport regulations, it just seems like a good idea) and she said they couldn't give me one - something about having the wrong type of flight ticket. I asked again, but still, no. At the time, I was annoyed, and just chalked up this odd logic to "Ah, well, this is Thailand..."

But now I wonder, if that could have been me....walking out of a KP shop, purchase in hand - but no receipt!

But now I wonder, if that could have been me....walking out of a KP shop, purchase in hand - but no receipt!

Surely the cash register keeps a record of all purchasers. Again if KP were actually interested in seeing justice served no innocent people should be a victim of this.

I bought something in the KP shop in Suwanabhumi a few months back on a visa run.

The girl handed me my purchase in a bag, but no receipt. I asked for a receipt (with so many stringent airport regulations, it just seems like a good idea) and she said they couldn't give me one - something about having the wrong type of flight ticket. I asked again, but still, no. At the time, I was annoyed, and just chalked up this odd logic to "Ah, well, this is Thailand..."

...or she actually didn't ring up the purchase, just pocked the money.

An employee gaming the King Power Co. Imagine that.

...or she actually didn't ring up the purchase, just pocked the money.

An employee gaming the King Power Co. Imagine that.

Or perhaps KP gaming the Taxation authorities?