British Couple Fights Bangkok Airport Extortionists

george

I'll be happy to do my duty free shopping in Singapore. Avoid KP for a while now and will continue to do so.

You do realise that King Power is an international company that operates in many airports, including Singapore's Changi Airport????

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be happy to do my duty free shopping in Singapore. Avoid KP for a while now and will continue to do so.

You do realise that King Power is an international company that operates in many airports, including Singapore's Changi Airport????

There are several duty free set ups at Changi. None of them likely to run such a scam though...

As Thailand slides deeper into recession the worse things are going to get unfortunately. More and more Thais are getting 'in for the rip', even the honest ones, who are becoming, shall we say, at the very least, opportunistic. Even where I live, with decent Thai folk, the change in the mood of thais is palpable. As history teaches us, when times get tough, economically, the indigenous peoples of a nation will turn adainst those who are different to them. in an effort to apportion blame for what ails them. That someone is usually of a different race, especially when they are seen to be better off than they are. Just ask the Chinese, they have suffered from this for 100's of years in many places around the world. So. Throw in the pack mentality, a timid government lacking in control and struggling to maintain power and you wind up with a very dangerous and volatile situation.

Nothing like Western Consumerism and materialism to corrupt and upset the status quo of a once decent race of people. 40 years of visiting/living here coming up for me and I haven't seen this country in such dire straits as I have now. Even in the final days of the Vietnam War and it's immediate aftermath of riots and patiwats things were not as dangerous for farangs. Western consumerism and consumer credit did not exist at this time however.

Tourist Police? And their 'Volunteers?'. Something I have had trouble getting my head around since they instituted the practice. As parochial as the Thais are I could never understand why they agreed and started this ridiculous idea. Most of these I have witnessed are the biggest mob of wanke_rs and would bes if they could bes it has ever been my misfortune to come across. Shifty, shakey or just plain Walter Mittys they should disband them NOW. I wouldn't trust one as far as I could spit! About as useful as a hip pocket in a singlet!

A practice I would use in Australia when going shopping for a 'Big Ticket' item was to 'dress down', remove any items of expensive jewellery and adornments and hide or leave the expensive gadgetry at home. Look like you are a battler with just a subway token and a dollar tucked inside your shoe! These Thai scammers are not stupid, like all good criminals, scammers and conmen they know how to pick a target. Therefore I advise that you adopt some strategies so as not to make yourself a target.

A couple of years back, when times were good, my Sister In Law who had been living in the USA for a few years, returned home for a quick visit. I was sitting at home one day when she returned from the local shopping mall. As she walked through the front door she was already yelling to me - 'What is happening to my country?' She was genuinely quite distressed.

Why Dai? I enquired.

'I have just returned from the Mall, I have seen large numbers of what are obviously poor, low income Thais exlting the department stores with big screen TVs, home theatre systems and large 2 door refrigerators, THEY CAN'T AFFORD THEM!'

'It's they way of the West Dai, welcome to the world of the farang'.

As for KP, they are still trying to make up for the losses incurred by their own Thai people wearing Yellow.

It is said that the farang in the west has lost his god and his religion. I put it to you that Buddha is facing the same problem in Thailand.

I'm so proud my tax money goes to support such a moral and upstanding police force. Truly, Thailand should be rightly proud of such a clean and just judicial system

And good on the Brits for having a go. Irrespective of whether they stole or not, the punishment does not fit the crime.

Surely of you've been arrested you should be taken to a police station - not a resort???

read George's opening post

"Ingram and Xi were put on a British Airways flight to London early on Friday, May 1, having received their passports with official documents from prosecutors and police stating that no charges were to be brought against them."

Heard a story before about similar things happening to an asian tourist (a singaporean if I recall correctly) who alledgedly had an extra carton of cigarettes put in his/her shopping bag and assumed it was a gift or a promotion. Result: stamped out of Thailand with "Thief" in the passport.

Has anyone ever actually seen a passport with 'Thief' stamped in it? I've read this before and find it hard to believe.

Anyone who has been found guilty of a crime by a Thai court and is then subject to deportation has the reason stamped in his/her passport. The stamp will say what law was broken, and it will also state the punishment(jail time, fine etc.). Then on the same page in Thai it will state if the person has also been blacked listed or not and the length of that black listing. This is done by the immigration.

I know for a fact that this is done, as I have seen the stamps quite a few times. Find an overstayer and you will see that their passport will be stamped saying that they overstayed and the punishment as well. A person who has done a more serious crime will have the story in their passport and will be blacklisted for life.

Edited by farseer

Although it happend at a King Power store, there is no involvement of King Power itself. Let's not suggest it is or call for boycots etc.

Did you mean to say "alleged" involvement of King Power?

I think we have all read the reports and stories of the history of KP. Rather too many stories all pointing in the same direction.

It is surely up to individuals if they wish to boycott or not.

Hi All.

At the very least King Power should just sack the staff involved,person who served them ,person on the till, all the staff if they want to run a clean shop, how come they are held 5 days?, Lawful or not?,AlsoI would think that the tourist police should go to,with loss of pension.

You seem to be listing all the little people, if you get my drift

I've been patronising King Power for years without ever so much as a hiccup. Mind you I keep receipts for everything I buy. I hope the British couple get there issues resolved with the airport authorities and police.

It is admitted there will be no prosecution.

But will they get theirr 8000 bail back and lawyers fees

This story starts when they were about to board the plane. There is a lot missing.

Did they go into KP?

Did they go into the section that had the alleged stolen property?

Did they pick it up to look at?

Did they in fact buy it?

Did they buy anything else?

Was the wallet in their possession when they were detained?

Who made the complaint to the security guards/police?

What was the eveidence? etc etc.

Why were this couple vicimized?

After the arrest the story is odd to say the least. The "sneaked" out of the hotel on 27th, went to the embassy, but did not want the Thai authorities contactd. Why? again Why?

They were not released for 3 (?) further days. What happened during this time? Where were they? Did they "sneak" back into the hotel?

I understand that usually embassies cannot do much for people arrested for crime and kept in police station/prison except get a local lawyer. However, when people are illegally detained in a hotel, have their passports confiscated and are blackmailed for huge sums of money there are thing the embassy can do.

I am not saying that this couple have not been set up and treated badly, but I think there is a lot more to this story than has come out so far.

there seem to be a lot of missing points in the story, as you say, but most seem to think it is true and have taken it at face value.

From their own account they referred to a " Ms Du f all " at the embassy. I hope this thread is not a spoof!

"However, on April 27 they sneaked out of the hotel and found their way to the embassy, where they met Kate Dufall, the pro-consul."

Thai Police are running a vast scam against tourists.They have Tourist mafia posted all over town, intercepting lost tourists.

They pretend to be friendly Thais, just passing by, wanting to help a visitor.

The fact is, they lie to and defraud every foreigner they meet.

I have been documenting this for 2 years.

This Policeman has been scamming visitors at the Erawan Shrine for years.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21533131@N06/...57616786296908/

Here are some pictures of the Tourist Mafia.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29324583@N05/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21533131@N06/sets/

A friend of mine at TAT says the Police are cooperating with the gem scammers.

Edited by Serpico

A friend of mine at TAT says the Police are cooperating with the gem scammers.

The tourist police are and that's a 100% fact from first hand experience when I was helping two different couples get their money back. But the ordinary cops are not, as any problems involving foreigners are given to the tourist cops to deal with.

What amazes me about Thailand is how quick the Thais are at locking someone up for the most trivial of crimes. Is everyone assumed to be a lowly criminal? Is there no respect for 'guests in their country'? One would expect to be treated better that a lowly criminal, especially as its probably cost you quite alot of money to get to Thailand in the first place?

Yeah, I wonder why. :)

OK . 8000 quid , lets say at 50 bht to the pound = 400,000 bht . Out of that they had to pay the bail money - 100,000 bht each. So what was the other 200,000 spent on .Then there is the refund that they didnt get of their bail money , 200,000 bht back.

Looks like Mr Sri Lanka has a lot to answer for ? But he wont be found , hes playing at home with his pet Tiger , Tamil.

Oh that's the 'Service Fee' for some guy who knows english

learned from selling bad cloth to tailors and other fornt operations for assorted OTHER scams.

See this Sri Lankan 'Helped them' as he told them, he is a volunteer for the thai police force,

so he is unpaid by the police, so he must make a simple gratuity

from those criminals until proven innocent whom he 'helps'.

He also splits that with "little big man" who can get things done.

It's all so simple and clear.

They weren't kidnapped,

there were helped out of their life savings to get their passports back.

All part of the service for sure.

The Thai police seem normally quite adapt at getting one of the dependents to point the finger at someone else for a deal. Which one was accused of shoplifting? only 1 wallet? Why bail required for 2 people? why hold both passports/people over theft of a single item? If 1 pointed finger would they have reduced costs by 50%? Glad it was not a family of 10 traveling,

No allegations were made, by me anyway;

it was sarcasm, irony and parody only. Maybe too deep.

And the absurdity of it all should have been obvious...

Better safe than sorry though.

Edited by animatic

The Thai police seem normally quite adapt at getting one of the dependents to point the finger at someone else for a deal. Which one was accused of shoplifting? only 1 wallet? Why bail required for 2 people? why hold both passports/people over theft of a single item? If 1 pointed finger would they have reduced costs by 50%? Glad it was not a family of 10 traveling,

They'd just gin up some 'Acting in concert' charge:

One was look-out.

One observed, but didn't report the theft.

One took it and passed it to the other.

etc etc.

They are together, they must have done it together...

sure, and pigs fly. Besides if you leave one loose they can report the scam.

Well be warned this is just the beginning! Not so many tourists to rip off a little so the few will be ripped off for a lot!! Hope these bastards who did this and yes i'am not waiting to see the if Tourists were innocent should be put away for ever!!!

Warning do not come to thailand! i'am feed up with trying to think what is good for thailand when you here so much of this SHIT!!!!!!

Well be warned this is just the beginning! Not so many tourists to rip off a little so the few will be ripped off for a lot!! Hope these bastards who did this and yes i'am not waiting to see the if Tourists were innocent should be put away for ever!!!

Warning do not come to thailand! i'am feed up with trying to think what is good for thailand when you here so much of this SHIT!!!!!!

Unfortunately the country isn't doing itself any favors whatsoever with these scandals. I have convinced so many people that there is more to Thailand than dodgy bars and sex. The last 2 years has been absolutely disastrous for Thailand's image. The naysayers will carp on about "oh the tourists will keep coming" etc.

I have had friends from all over the world send me the link to this story via skype. They are genuinely shocked.

This story is out there, and to read it, it would be a genuinely frightening experience for even a hardened traveller.

Never in all the 21 years i have been coming to thailand and the 9 i have lived here have i felt that they DONT want farang here as residents,but purely as tourists to throw our money down and depart,..and i for one will be making tracks, the country has gone backwards, and the scary bit is they dont seem to give a toss,.

I wonder at the prospects of a proper investigation? Perhaps by the Thai DSI’s? Consider the money trail, and the Sri Lankan, for example.

1.)The money - - how did the couple pay? If they did not have that much cash with them, then it was either withdrawn “for them”, perhaps by the Sri Lankan, (another service...) using either the couples own ATM and Debit cards and/or the couple called their bank(s) and wired it into Thailand. Unless the couple already had that much cash on them, there is likely an electronic trail to the thieves. If either the Sri Lankan, or the Police, or friends of the police used the ATM or Debit cards of the couple, then there may be photographs, since many of the newer ATM’s in Thailand have a camera built into the machine; If the money was wired into Thailand, then it went to someone’s local bank account, now didn’t it? Of course, what are the chances that the Thai banks will scrub those records before the DSI’s can review them?

2.)It may be possible to trace the Sri Lankan, if he gave his “real” name, or whatever name is in his passport. Of course, what are the chances that the airport immigration police will scrub the Immigration, AOT, and PISCES-Image records before the DSI’s can review them?

3.)The Sri Lankan and the cops probably all had mobile phones. I wonder if the couple knows any of their numbers? Both DTAC and 1,2-Call keep call records and SMS records for several months. DTAC is pretty “soft” and their records are easy to get, easy to scrub, works both ways. The Singaporean-controlled 1,2-Call is more professional, and keeps records access limited to qualified persons, and only gives out those records in answer to a court order. (Don’t ever put anything into an SMS Text message that may haunt you later, I can tell you that…)

I wonder if the DSI’s will follow the trails, or just allow it all to lie fallow and fade away?

Judge Dredd

Like many of you here, I have also let others know not to come and have made sure that others are fully aware, via websites, of what has been happening to tourists. Rapes, murders, and set ups and an inept police department that doesn't care one iota. People have responded and have canceled their plans to visit. We'll meet elsewhere and have a much better time. Granted, tourists will still come and they are welcome to do so. The more people know, the less, I hope, will arrive. Thailand is not worthy of good tourists at this time, and other places are much more welcoming.

If it is anything like the scam with jet skis in Samui , where tourists are accused of damage and marched to an ATM for the repair fee , I expect that whatever money is gleened is shared around .

I reckon they are all in on it - Top to bottom .

2.)It may be possible to trace the Sri Lankan, if he gave his “real” name, or whatever name is in his passport. Of course, what are the chances that the airport immigration police will scrub the Immigration, AOT, and PISCES-Image records before the DSI’s can review them?

Judge Dredd

As far as I understand all this happened inside the security area as they were about to board the plane. The only way to get access to this area is to be a passenger or have a security pass for this area.

Pretty scary if crooks like the Sri Lankan can get a security pass for the purpose of extort money from unsuspecting travelers.

I wonder at the prospects of a proper investigation? Perhaps by the Thai DSI's? Consider the money trail, and the Sri Lankan, for example.

Investigation or not, I think the damage has been done and the British couple who were detained have suffered unduly, whether they stole a wallet or not. It must have been a scary and traumatic experience; I probably would have started bawling within minutes if it had happened to me.

I live in Bangkok on a Non-Immigrant B visa and feel that this newspaper article reports on a situation which is unjust and dangerous, although there are still unanswered questions. I will be forwarding this story to all my friends worldwide and urging them to boycott duty-free shops and stay alert when travelling to Thailand.

I have had three minor dealings with Thai police during my short time here; (I suffered a break-in, needed directions, and got a traffic ticket for speeding), I felt that the different Police officers concerned were professional and diligently doing their work on all three separate occasions. The story of the British couple makes me feel like the Thai police can't be relied on or trusted, while that doesn't match my personal experience, it certainly makes me feel uneasy and unsure.

1.)The money - - how did the couple pay? If they did not have that much cash with them, then it was either withdrawn “for them”, perhaps by the Sri Lankan, (another service...) using either the couples own ATM and Debit cards and/or the couple called their bank(s) and wired it into Thailand. Unless the couple already had that much cash on them, there is likely an electronic trail to the thieves. If either the Sri Lankan, or the Police, or friends of the police used the ATM or Debit cards of the couple, then there may be photographs, since many of the newer ATM’s in Thailand have a camera built into the machine; If the money was wired into Thailand, then it went to someone’s local bank account, now didn’t it? Of course, what are the chances that the Thai banks will scrub those records before the DSI’s can review them?

I'm pretty sure that it was stated in the report that the money was wired to the Sri Lankan's bank account

As far as I understand all this happened inside the security area as they were about to board the plane. The only way to get access to this area is to be a passenger or have a security pass for this area.

Pretty scary if crooks like the Sri Lankan can get a security pass for the purpose of extort money from unsuspecting travelers.

They were stopped by security personnel, not the Sri Lankan

2.)It may be possible to trace the Sri Lankan, if he gave his "real" name, or whatever name is in his passport. Of course, what are the chances that the airport immigration police will scrub the Immigration, AOT, and PISCES-Image records before the DSI's can review them?

Judge Dredd

Don't worry, not all Srilankans are Tigers. Some are human too.

IMAGINE YOU WERE ARRESTED IN THAILAND FOR A CRIME YOU DID NOT COMMIT

You can be held in prison on remand in Thailand for 84 days WITHOUT BEING CHARGED.

After being charged, you can, as a foreigner and therefore a flight risk, be refused bail and held for months in prison waiting for your trial.

If bail is allowed, the amount of bail money will often be punitively high. Passports can and are often confiscated as a further deterrent to flight.

Bail money is often not returned.

A trial in Thailand can take years and during this time you can be held in custody.

Prison conditions in Thailand, even for remand prisoners, are appalling.

If you are brave enough to plead 'not guilty' and are lucky enough to have a fair trial that is not fixed against you, you would be released and finally allowed to go home. Nobody would say sorry for your 2 or so years' of incarceration.

You would not receive any compensation for your imprisonment, loss of earnings, health problems, losses in your home country (missed mortgage payments etc.) and missed flights.

You would be re-arrested for overstay. You would be again held in detention until you could find the 20,000 Baht overstay fine plus the cost of a flight.

If you were facing this, would you be brave enough to stick to your guns or would you just empty your savings account back home so you could get the hel_l out of there. How much is months or years in a Thai prison worth to avoid?

Edited by Briggsy