Looking For A Surf Forecast

AlarmGuy

Hey Surfers,

I'm planning the 12 hour drive down from Chon Buri this Saturday for 3 days surfing and I'm just wondering what the waves have been like lately ?

If one of you guys could give me an update on Friday afternoon/evening and give me your best shot at a short term surf forecast - that would be awesome :D

I know that's a tough ask with Phuket surf being so fickle, but it would give me something to dream about on the long drive down there. If it's flat as a pancake - I might save myself a few baht by calling off the trip and going for a paddle up the Bangpakong river instead :)

There has been swell the last couple of weeks. With a few very good days, heaps of oke days and a lot of hmmmm days...

Today it's not really much but the difference in the tides and variaty of the spots you can surf. Longboarder can have some fun waves. Kata and Kata noi had some surf yesterday. And will have some surf today. But there looks like something is brewing in the andaman and is comming this way.

So if you weight like 40 kilo and surf a shortboard you can have some fun. Or if you on a minimal or long board. But as you said it... it's tricky here to make predictions... the internet give a very mix image abd sometines it saids its crap and it turns out to be good. And the other time visa versa....

So it's a bit far to say but last few weeks there are always people in the water. So there are some waves.... Not pipline but some nice beach mushies..

Have fun

There has been swell the last couple of weeks. With a few very good days, heaps of oke days and a lot of hmmmm days...

Thanks for the info - pretty much as I expected. I forgot to mention it's been over two and a half long years since I caught a wave so there are only two essential requirements for the waves:

1. They must be wet

2. They must be above knee height

I've just been looking through the Saltwater Dreaming web site and Kalim and Kamala seem like the most consistent places to surf. I have stayed at Karon on the Hill Hotel a couple of times and had a splash (without a board) at Karon and Kata Noi/Yai beaches. They were OK, but I'm thinking of trying the beaches further North this trip - is that a good move ?

Also, I pay around Bt900 at Karon for a decent room for me and my son and I'm wondering if I can get anywhere for around that price (or a bit less) further North ?

Any suggestions appreciated :)

If that's the case.... :)

Kalim is more of a point break over shallow rocks.... Needs a bit of swell to work. Maybe it's on if some swell hits this weekend.

Kamala is a good beachbreak for what your looking at. A lot of the guesthouses are closed in the low season. But for sure there will be some guesthouses open in the center. But very quiet...

Karon has surf engough as well. So you can try there..... and if it's crap look at Kata and otherwise Kamala. And in the night time in Karon, Kata there is what more to do. Kamala is very quiet.

So good luck with the drive.... :D

Hey,

Good Link. I found the Karon Beach webcam on the site.... http://www.marinaphuket.com/live.php

Now, if someone could just move it slightly to the left we could get a nice view of the break instead of the white water :)

Mentioning the fact that it's been over two years since you surfed, I would really recommend Kata Beach.

A friend of mine just got the Sugar Palm Resort with a pool sized bathtub for 900thb a night. Luxurious.

As mentioned, Kalim needs a pretty good swell to work, Kamala faces a little bit of a different direction than Kata so it can be 2 metres at Kata and flat in Kamala. I'm by these places most everyday.

Yeah is flat as a pancake.... Maybe something rolling in this weekend....... but TragicSeaweed is not that good with predictions.... 2 stars when it's flat.... And the flags are still up.... redicules.... that's why nobody takes them serious....

agreed, off topic, but when these guys stick out the red flags when it's high season flat water it's a wonder people don't notice them when the surf is dangerous.

Where are the green (go) and yellow (caution) flags?