Anyone Riding Down To The Malaysian Motogp 2009?

Are wives allowed or is it strictly a men only affair?

It doesn't matter to me. Anyone have opinion on that?

Update:

ScubaBuddha

fatbastard68

a_classic_cigar

RusticCharm

glasshock

tonguethaied

saorsa

BigBikeBKK

Singha Gold

handydog

laprac

helloall

Plus 6 guys via a_classic_cigar.

Now you forgot Dunder;)

Edited by dunder

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting to note a 2009 Ninja 250R has nearly the same horsepower as my 1993 Honda CBR 400RR. 45 to 53 respectively or there abouts. Should be adequate for me, although I'de rather have the 75 of the ER6f. :)

Oops, I made an error. Ninjette has only 26hp.

Potential attendee update:

ScubaBuddha

fatbastard68

a_classic_cigar

RusticCharm

glasshock

tonguethaied

saorsa

BigBikeBKK

Singha Gold

handydog

laprac

helloall

and....

dunder!!

Plus 6 guys via a_classic_cigar.

Hi guys, you may or may not know, but Ride Thailand are again organizing a 2009 Moto GP trip. Here's some details of their schedule, including Google Map references for Hotel Meetup locations in case you want to Meetup with them along the route, perhaps stay at the same hotels, or even join their trip (further details of prices and what's included are available from Ride Thailand, or indeed full details are available from our website too)...

Ride Thailand Magazine are once again organizing a Ride Thailand 2009 Moto GP Trip to the Moto GP at Sepang. I understand that there's a limit of 100 Bikers, so if you want a hassle free trip then I recommend that you tag along with them and take advantage of the great block booking discount package price, here's when and where they are going...

Friday 23rd : Meetup at JB Hotel in Hat Yai at 5 p.m. on Friday afternoon (Hotel not reserved or included in price, so check in early or reserve in advance - price approx. 1000 baht) - Check documents, have dinner (included in price) and meetup with other Bikers.

Saturday 24th : Ride across the border, down to Ipoh, and then on down to the Naza Hotel in Malacca (hotel included). This is a long one day journey so an early start will be needed in order not to arrive too late.

Sunday 25th : Ride to the Sepang Moto GP circuit (Grandstand ticket included) to watch Moto GP.

The TMT Meetup place is the west end of the south grandstand, ie. the end closest to the entrance of the grandstand to your right as you observe them from the main entrance / bike park.

125 Race : 12.00 local time

250 Race : 13.30 local time

Moto GP : 15.00 local time

(1 hour earlier Thai time)

After the race, travel on down to the Concorde Hotel in downtown KL to check out Hard Rock Cafe and then on for a lively evening out at the bars and clubs around the corner.

PLEASE NOTE : Anyone wishing to have dinner at the spectacular restaurant at the top of the Menara Tower on Sunday evening, which has panoramic views of the city, should pre-book in advance and remember to bring smart clothes for the occasion (long trousers, shirt and shoes).

Monday 26th : Time in the morning to see some of the city, such as a trip up the Menara Tower opposite the Concorde Hotel which has panoramic views over the city and surrounding area as well as looking across to the famous Petronas Twin Towers. You may also have time to go up to the observation bridge of the Petronas Towers, which is about 2/3rds the way up, but if you want to do this you must get there early otherwise you will face a long wait. (In my opinion a trip up the Menara Tower is better anyway).

In the afternoon, set off and ride to the Equatorial hotel in the Cameron Highlands. The best route for this is to carry on to Ipoh and then take the main A181 highway up into the Cameron Highlands. This is such a great road that it's worth going up it as well as down it again the next day. Make sure that you get there early enough in the day to ride the road in good daylight to make the most of it. The road twists and turns its way up into the mountains with some splendid views along the way. It begins with a few tight curves and gradually the curves become long fast sweeping bends - it's a real joy to ride and not to be missed in either direction.

Dinner in the evening is included in the price and there's a chance to meetup with some of the Malaysian Bikers, including, I hope, some of the guys from Ipoh, who are all very friendly and meetup most Sundays to ride the road up into the Cameron Highlands. The ground floor of the hotel has a bar an TV area with a large projection screen TV (it may be possible to watch highlights of the previous day's race if one of the locals from Ipoh has recorded it and brought it with them).

Tuesday 27th : Back to the border at Sadao, and then on to wherever in Thailand. Some people may decide to stop again at the JB Hotel for one night, others will no doubt decide to press on up towards Phuket and Surat Thani areas for the evening (it's around 4 hours ride from the border to those locations).

Hope this info helps, and that you have a good trip and manage to meetup with some of the other Bikers who are going from Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...
^ Thanks Robinhill for the detailed itinerary and schedule.

Hope hope hope I'll have the plate for my new Ninja 650R by then! Otherwise the old ER6n will have to do :)

Happy Trails!

Tony

Yeah sounds interesting, but I am a little concerned how 100 bikers crossing the boarder at once qualifies as "hassle free". Does that work?

I was told by Phuket Kawi that it would be no problem to get my plates and book for my 650R by October 20th-ish, so it looks like I am a go. I will PM everyone interested and we can all decide individually who wants to ride with RT and who doesn't. Any thoughts on that guys?

SB

Yeah sounds interesting, but I am a little concerned how 100 bikers crossing the boarder at once qualifies as "hassle free". Does that work?

Yes, good point. Having a large number of bikes crossing all at once does tend to slow things down quite a bit. But there's nothing to stop you riding on ahead once you're through the border, and not waiting for the rest of the group to get through the border if you so desire, as long as you've got your bike registered to ride in Malaysia and got the insurance documents (which you will have to present to the police if they stop you at a spot check point - these are usually on the path which the motorbikes ride around to avoid going through the toll booths), as long as you let the organizers know so that they are not waiting for you when you have already departed.

By hassle free I was thinking mainly of the convenience of the pre-booked accommodation and the reassurance that because you are part of this group your bike should not be denied entry into Malaysia. It is possible, although perhaps unlikely, that your bike could be denied entry if you don't have an English translation of your bike documents which is stamped with an official stamp by the Thai authorities (obtainable in Bangkok and Songkhla I believe). The first time I went to Malaysia in my ignorance I rode the bike through without registering it and without getting insurance at the border (intending to get it at Penang before riding down to KL, because it was getting late already). Fortunately I didn't have an accident or get stopped by the police, otherwise I would have been in trouble. We were also fortunate to make a baby whilst there too!!! The second time I went with RT to the MotoGP 2006 and they handled all of the docs for us. The third time I assumed that the border would have my registration details on their computer already, so I wouldn't need to get another translation done and a different sticky number on the bike.... Wrong! Any details they had from the previous time (3 months before) they had (apparently) deleted already and insisted on giving my bike a slightly different sticky number plate - essential the same characters as before but the small case were now upper case and the upper case now small case - I'm sure that this was just the lad behind the desk in the office being officious - however, he was kind enough to allow my bike to enter even though he had the power to deny it.

If you go with RT then you send them a copy of the pages of your log book and they get the translation done for you, and the registration, and the insurance - at least this was the case in the past. In my experience this is defintely less hassle than doing it yourself, apart from the waiting around at the border.

If a translation from Thai to English is no longer needed then let me know, since I've not ridden to KL since December 2006, but I doubt that this requirement has changed since then.

For more info on Sadao Border Crossing Point click here to link to Google Map

Just one other useful thing....

Sadao Border Crossing Duty Free Shopping - Google Map Ref

There's a very comprehensive range of duty free shopping available between the two immigration checkpoints at this large shopping centre complex selling jewelery, perfumes, quality clothing, toys, chocolates, wines and spirits (inc. some good scotch malt whisky), etc.

Don't forget to use the Money Exchanger on the ground floor to get your Malaysian Ringits here because the banks close early and your only other option will be to use an ATM or a money exchanger who's open late if you can find one at your destination.

If going with RT they intend to ride all the way down to Malacca in one day, which is quite some distance, and so getting your ringits at the border is the best policy.

For those stopping at Penang the money changers are open until about 7pm.

The first time I went to Malaysia in my ignorance I rode the bike through without registering it and without getting insurance at the border (intending to get it at Penang before riding down to KL, because it was getting late already). Fortunately I didn't have an accident or get stopped by the police, otherwise I would have been in trouble.
That's what I did last year.  :)
If a translation from Thai to English is no longer needed then let me know, since I've not ridden to KL since December 2006, but I doubt that this requirement has changed since then.
I would like to know about this also. Anyone?

Great info Robinhill. Cheers for that.

Is a log book the same thing as green book then?

I have not heard the English translation requirment was dropped. Before I knew I would get my new bike in time, I asked about renting a Ninja 250R to take across the boarder for this trip. I was told by the owner to let him know ahead of time so he can get the translation done, so at least he still thought it was a requirement.

What you think Rustic, should we go with RT? I don't really care either way I guess, I'm just excited to be going!!!

This is very early ahead of the trip guys, but unless I am forced to work I will be there. Yamaha Riders Club will go as well, and for those who have a member card you will be allowed to the paddocks meeting Valentino.

Anyway I will join if I can, bet Trenty will join as well and lots of others but this is very early still so guess more will join as we go. Guess I'll join Tony and the gang from Bangkok and maybe if some is going from Pattaya I'll go with them and meet up with the Banger boys.

Failing that I'll join Yamaha Riders club and see you guys down there, think they have a 2 day down itinerary, a day there and a 2 day back in case I am short on time.

It's about a metric iron butt from Bangkok to Border 958 km, then only 572 km to Sepang from the border so a 2 day is no problem for me, what do you say Tony up for it? Superboring road highway 4 then 41 to the border, so as sooner that's done as better... Night at the border and go Sepang...

572 km is if you hold the speed limit all the way 6 hours and 32 minutes so splitting that in 2 is not really for me...

Looks like there could possibly be a few groups heading down.

As far as I'm aware, I'm on holiday throughout October so there's no need (or desire for that matter) for me to blast down there in 2 days. I'll be taking about 5 days, stopping off at the places mentioned earlier in the thread.

I guess for those of us pressed for time or with tight work schedules, the Yamaha Riders or an SSR ride makes sense.

As long as I don't have to do it solo again, I'll be happy!

What you think Rustic, should we go with RT? I don't really care either way I guess, I'm just excited to be going!!!
Could do. Would still like to ride Penang though.

I've heard that a few guys from Ducati Thonglor could be making the trip, so maybe we (or I!! :) ) could get passes for the Ducati paddock and meet Stoner, Hayden or..er...Kalio or Fabrizio or whichever poor sod is currently trying to ride the DesmosediciRR.

Edited by RusticCharm

Looks like there could possibly be a few groups heading down.

As far as I'm aware, I'm on holiday throughout October so there's no need (or desire for that matter) for me to blast down there in 2 days. I'll be taking about 5 days, stopping off at the places mentioned earlier in the thread.

I guess for those of us pressed for time or with tight work schedules, the Yamaha Riders or an SSR ride makes sense.

As long as I don't have to do it solo again, I'll be happy!

Could do. Would still like to ride Penang though.

I've heard that a few guys from Ducati Thonglor could be making the trip, so maybe we (or I!! :) ) could get passes for the Ducati paddock and meet Stoner, Hayden or..er...Kalio or Fabrizio or whichever poor sod is currently trying to ride the DesmosediciRR.

If your talking about 5 days from Chang Mai, then yeah i can do, because I can meet up with you in Krabi.

I would love to get a Ducati paddock pass! Where do I sign up!!

All you need is a paddock pass, Yamaha Riders Club fixed one for me, you are not restricted to see Valentino you have access to meet them all. Personally I want a picture with all of them if I can, would be awesome... But time will tell if that is doable...

I've done all this in a car before but not on the cycle (yet). There are some great rides not far from KL. There is the amazing Teman Negara Rainforest, Genting Highlands, and Singapore, all within a couple hours drive. Anyone up for the hop down to Singapore (well, because it's there?).

Is a log book the same thing as green book then?

I have not heard the English translation requirment was dropped. Before I knew I would get my new bike in time, I asked about renting a Ninja 250R to take across the boarder for this trip. I was told by the owner to let him know ahead of time so he can get the translation done, so at least he still thought it was a requirement.

Yes - green book = log book.

Nope, as far as I know you still need an official translation into English, unless anyone else who has been more recently knows otherwise. I was told that you can do this by Thai authorities in Songkhla or Bangkok, who provide their official stamp on the translation document. Not sure if a translation from any translation bureau with their stamp is admissible - anyone know for sure?

By the way, you all probably know this already, but if the vehicle is not in your name, then to get the vehicle out of Thailand you either have to...

a) Take the owner of the vehicle along with you, or

:) Have the official transfer of ownership documents with you, signed by the previous owner, including signed copies of the ID card or passport of that previous owner.

Although it is supposed to be possible in theory I'm not sure that you will be successful if you only have a letter from the owner which gives you his permission to take the vehicle out of the country, with signed copies of his ID card / passport also of course.

For example, I bought a car a few years back and tried to register it in my name. From all the info I had found out I should have been able to do this, but when I came to do it the officer behind the desk refused to let me register it in my name. I guess it's more hassle for them and they're not used to doing it. If I had persisted for several hours or days I might have managed to achieve what I was, according to the law, allowed to do. However, time was pressing and instead I took the easy option of putting it in my Thai wife's name.... which was not a problem until recently...

Earlier this year to take it out of the country at the Laos border. Despite a letter of consent, marriage docs, signed ID card, passport, etc for my wife, they still refused (perhaps incorrectly) to let me take it out. They said that she needed to be present to sign a form there at the border, either that or I would need signed transfer docs.

So, in other words, instead of getting a letter of permission, it would probably be better to get your pal to sign transfer docs for the bike, which you then rip up when you return the bike to him. This would of course require that your pal trusts you with his bike. I don't think that there's a fee for the docs, only a 500 baht transfer fee if you decide to go ahead and use them to transfer ownership.

Singapore? Wouldn't bother, even if it were possible to get across the border the insurance cost for the short time there is likely to be expensive, and I can not imagine that any of the roads there are worth the bother. Much better to spend the time enjoying more of Malaysia's roads.... especially the road up into the Cameron Highlands from Ipoh if you have never done this before.

Oh yes - take some decent waterproof clothing - when it rains it's torrential, and you may not have time in your schedule to wait it out until it stops.

One more thing - if you need a list of motorcycle dealers in Malaysia we have a list on our site which you can copy or print out to take with you in case you have a problem en route (I didn't list it here because I'm not sure whether or not it's within forum rules to do so).

Bad news!

Just been informed (tentatively) that I have to be back at work on Oct 22.  :)

I may take a week's leave at the end of October and ride down but it I won't make a decision on that until I'm 100% certain of my October holidays. 

Edited by RusticCharm

Although it is supposed to be possible in theory I'm not sure that you will be successful if you only have a letter from the owner which gives you his permission to take the vehicle out of the country, with signed copies of his ID card / passport also of course.

This was possible at the sadao border easily.. Letter from the owner, copy of ID card signed etc..

In fact the sadao border is so wide open I found it easier to just slide through and not register anything.. twice like that on bikes.. Makes you think about a cheap bike in reverse :)

Bad news!

Just been informed (tentatively) that I have to be back at work on Oct 22.  :)

I may take a week's leave at the end of October and ride down but it I won't make a decision on that until I'm 100% certain of my October holidays. 

Terry, The 22nd is a thursday - that sucks. I just booked my flight and hotel - airasia return and 2 nights at a serviced apt - 7900 baht. you could bump up to the renaissance hotel for another 2,000. Just in case you gotta fly...

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone wishing to make a two week holiday of it, Asian Nomads MC, Pattaya, are organizing a trip leaving on the 16th October and returning on the 31st October. Not sure if it's too late to join in on that one, but just in case see more details on their website...

asiannomadmcthailand.com/?page_id=692"]http://asiannomadmcthailand.com/?page_id=692[/url]

Edited by Scott
URL edited

I am liking the itinerary Bard and Tony are looking at. 2days down then 2 back.

Unfortunately most of the SSR crew will be working and / or out of the country in October. I think I'm going to join the Kawasaki trip to Laos and skip MotoGP this year. Happy Trails! Tony

Bummer Tony. I was really hoping to ride with you!.

Ok well I think it's getting close enough that we can take another recount of who is planning to go,and if they all want to go at the same pace etc. I was thinking 2 days down and 2 days back for me here in Phuket. Phuket ppl meet the Bangkok ppl in Krabi on Friday? Arrive Sepang Saturday night, watch the finals Sunday, then back up Monday-Tuesday? Any suggestions?

SB