Us Social Security Office In Manilla

orang37

Sawasdee Khrup,

I was told by the US Consular staff here in CM about three years ago there was a large office for US Social Security in Manilla.

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3032.html

Just wondered if any of you have had personal experience applying for US Social Security insurance there, rather than (remotely) from here. Frankly, based on my experiences with US Consular staff here in CM in the time frame five to three years ago, I would not expect timely and accurate information from them, or for them to do anything to help me (I say that knowing that there may have been many changes in the local branch since three years ago, and this "sentiment" may be just outmoded cruft).

I don't have any motivation in particular to travel to Manilla which I've heard is a dreadfully polluted and traffic-grid-locked city, but if a trip there (rather than, say, Vientiane) for a few days, combined with the Visa thing for Thailand, would expedite paperwork processing a signficant amount, it might be worth a visit. The consular staff three years ago did "warn" me that quite a bit of paperwork was involved.

If you feel replying to this is off-topic for this forum, and you have the time to PM, that will be greatly appreciated !

thanks, ~o:37;

I have no personal knowledge of the SS office there but know that they are the regional center for SS. I would make sure they accept direct paperwork from someone not living there before I went. But I can say the Royal Thai Embassy there has the worst record in the area for visa issue - so I would not go there expecting to obtain a visa.

Orang37, It is my understanding you do not submit your application locally but mail it all to Manila.

Unfortunately the 2 times we have had to deal with them it was not an efficient process. First time was when we were living in Australia and wanted to have our checks direct deposited into our Australian bank account. It took about 3 months before they finally got around to doing it and that was with intervention from the US consulate in Sydney.

The second time was when we changed our address to Thailand. My husbands address was changed within a matter of weeks, but my address was still not changed after 3 months. We went into the US consulate in Bangkok and they sent a follow up letter and within a few weeks they had changed my address.

Unfortunately you cannot do it over the net when you live out of the United States.

Good luck and hope everything goes well for you.

Why would you want to apply for Social Security (insurance). Do you mean medicare which is health/hospital insurance which can be subscribed to upon drawing SS. Maybe I misunderstood what you are wanting.

Why would you want to apply for Social Security (insurance). Do you mean medicare which is health/hospital insurance which can be subscribed to upon drawing SS. Maybe I misunderstood what you are wanting.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Slapout,

I will apply for the strange reason that I need money to keep this human container (into which my Orang soul-mind scurried through a metaphysical singularity), this bag of bones, in soy milk.

Medicare benefits are provided only to residents of the US.

best, ~o:37;

orange37

this direct number of the ss benefits office in the us might be able to help,

but first you would need to answer plenty of your personal data questions online

and you need to speak english distinctively with proper voice and diction.... lol

so the computer lady voice would be able to decode your verbal response.... lol

before some live assistant would speak to you.

yes, i have had plenty of personal experiences.... lol

but some other friends were cussing something fierce before, during and

after the climax.... lol

here is the number 1.800.772.1213 (even though it is an 800, but you need

to pay cause we are not in the territory of the us)

nakachalet

Seems to be a lot of us 'baby boomers' applying this year. I just did and the process is quite easy, if you follow the procedure.

I first emailed the US Consulate here in CM to return [by email the application and cover/requirements/instruction page] ......they promptly sent them.

Then, as per instructions, I mailed by EMS mail and faxed the same application to insure that it got to Manila....

Then a few days later, I got a call from Manila and set up a time and day for a short phone interview and received confirmation by email. during this time, I got to know the SS rep in Manila by 1st name and he has been quite helpful.

He told me that my application would be processed by their Baltimore office and my first check would come a month after my b-day.

Last week, I emailed my new friend in the SS office and asked the status of my application and he says it is approved and there was a small increase and my first check should arrive in August3........happy birthday to me!!

Make shure that you have birth cirtificate, military records, passport and other proofs of age and citizenship and should be no delays.

Seems to be a lot of us 'baby boomers' applying this year. I just did and the process is quite easy, if you follow the procedure.

I first emailed the US Consulate here in CM to return [by email the application and cover/requirements/instruction page] ......they promptly sent them.

Then, as per instructions, I mailed by EMS mail and faxed the same application to insure that it got to Manila....

Then a few days later, I got a call from Manila and set up a time and day for a short phone interview and received confirmation by email. during this time, I got to know the SS rep in Manila by 1st name and he has been quite helpful.

He told me that my application would be processed by their Baltimore office and my first check would come a month after my b-day.

Last week, I emailed my new friend in the SS office and asked the status of my application and he says it is approved and there was a small increase and my first check should arrive in August3........happy birthday to me!!

Make shure that you have birth cirtificate, military records, passport and other proofs of age and citizenship and should be no delays.

Jaideeguy describe it very well. In fact, if you send it directly to the US, they will send it back to Manila for the preliminary processing. I would only add 3 minor things:

1. The CNX consulate recommended EMS/FedEX/DHL, which costs money, vice sending it thru the consulate for free because you have a record of it being delivered within a couple of days. If it go via the APO it gets routed first down to BKK and then who knows where before, hopefully, ending up in Manila. I say hopefully as the consulate does not track it once it leaves CNX. OBTW: you can send it out via the APO but can not received Manila's replies that way.
  2. You can get all the forms you need off the SS site
  3. You can fill out a preliminary application, fax it to Manila, and they will reply back with a check list of what you need for your formal, complete application. I attached a template you could use for this.

NEW_SSA_APPLICATION_SSA_MNL_Template1.doc

... If you're applying for Social Security Disability Insurance benefits, you've got a lot more hoops to jump through, as I recall.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Jim,

I never even thought of "disability," thanks. Do you think my human soul-mind being being spiritually replaced by an Orangutang soul-mind would qualify the human container for "disability" ?

If the benefits were much greater, perhaps I could turn down the modulators I apply to his (the human's) tendencies to paranoia, grandiosity, and glossolalia, and just let him whinge about how he's "possessed." Do you think that would do it ?

But this would be an extreme violation of the ethos of Ur-Orang on which path I, like every Orang soul-mind, have set one foot forward after another for eons (unless the music and the dance called for a back-step or a side-step). That ethos incudes this gem from Publc Melon Level Two Oral teachings :

"Deliberate acts of fraud are bad bananas; accepting that you are in a permanent flux of accidental acts of fraud, the most egregiouis of which is the illusion of a personal self, is a good banana."

... If you're applying for Social Security Disability Insurance benefits, you've got a lot more hoops to jump through, as I recall.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Jim,

I never even thought of "disability," thanks. Do you think my human soul-mind being being spiritually replaced by an Orangutang soul-mind would qualify the human container for "disability" ?

If the benefits were much greater, perhaps I could turn down the modulators I apply to his (the human's) tendencies to paranoia, grandiosity, and glossolalia, and just let him whinge about how he's "possessed." Do you think that would do it ?

But this would be an extreme violation of the ethos of Ur-Orang on which path I, like every Orang soul-mind, have set one foot forward after another for eons (unless the music and the dance called for a back-step or a side-step). That ethos incudes this gem from Publc Melon Level Two Oral teachings :

"Deliberate acts of fraud are bad bananas; accepting that you are in a permanent flux of accidental acts of fraud, the most egregiouis of which is the illusion of a personal self, is a good banana."

Just went through the process a few months ago. The Manila office personnel that handled the Thailand area was Robert. He was all business, but extremely polite and helpful. He always responded to answer questions. The key is to make sure all your paperwork is in order. Any certified copies of all your documents for the purpose of SS is done at the Chiang Mai consulate free of charge.

As long as your polite and respectful when dealing with Manila office, things will move along smoothly. Receiving first payment in the next few days. I suspect if one is not respectful, your applications are put aside for handling when they get to them. Also, if you have a child under 18, you will get payments for your child or children equal to about 75$ of your benefit; however, you must fill out a extra set of application, you get from the US Consulate, in order to file. Also requires a second set of docs concerning your child.

If you are retired military, you must take the insurance when you reach 65 in order to continue using CHAMPUS in Thailand and overseas. Contact JUSMAG in Bangkok for information.

Good Luck

Just went through the process a few months ago. The Manila office personnel that handled the Thailand area was Robert. He was all business, but extremely polite and helpful. He always responded to answer questions. The key is to make sure all your paperwork is in order. Any certified copies of all your documents for the purpose of SS is done at the Chiang Mai consulate free of charge.

As long as your polite and respectful when dealing with Manila office, things will move along smoothly. Receiving first payment in the next few days. I suspect if one is not respectful, your applications are put aside for handling when they get to them. Also, if you have a child under 18, you will get payments for your child or children equal to about 75$ of your benefit; however, you must fill out a extra set of application, you get from the US Consulate, in order to file. Also requires a second set of docs concerning your child.

If you are retired military, you must take the insurance when you reach 65 in order to continue using CHAMPUS in Thailand and overseas. Contact JUSMAG in Bangkok for information.

Good Luck

Correction. Child benefit approx 75% of your benifit. Use the Thai Post courier service. Pay the bucks and follow the mailing sinstructions carefully, and your paperwork will arrive quickly. You can also track right on line from day to day until delivery. Takes about 4 working days to American Embassy in Manila.

Sawasdee Khrup, Kon Tee Vee,

Many thanks for all the very helpful comments and shared experiences and for the PM that was most enlightening !

Now I've just got to find the dam_n birth-certificate (it's somewhere in the US : I know I had it when I applied for my first passport many years ago; too bad they don't accept a valid passport only, but I suppose in these days of terror and fraud they have to be extra scrutinous).

Now I've just got to find the dam_n birth-certificate (it's somewhere in the US : I know I had it when I applied for my first passport many years ago; too bad they don't accept a valid passport only, but I suppose in these days of terror and fraud they have to be extra scrutinous).

For what it is worth, my wife successfully applied this last Jan without her's as Thailand villages did not issue birth certificates for home delivery way back then. She used her US passport plus two other "govt" picture IDs (a military dependent ID and driver's license). So I would think you may have a work around. I would think that either the consulate and/or Manila can confirm that and tell you what to use.

I may be applying within 6 months.

I didn't take my birth certificate with me but before I left U.S., but I made a crystal clear scan of of it. Will they accept that copy or do I need the original?

Also my birth certificate is written in French. Will I have to have it translated? If "yes", will they accept my translation or do I have to have it done by a certified translator?

Thanks in advance.

I may be applying within 6 months.

I didn't take my birth certificate with me but before I left U.S., but I made a crystal clear scan of of it. Will they accept that copy or do I need the original?

Also my birth certificate is written in French. Will I have to have it translated? If "yes", will they accept my translation or do I have to have it done by a certified translator?

Thanks in advance.

Call Manila and ask if you can not use your passport and two other U.S. govt picture IDs. If you do not have 2 other IDs, they will give you the definitive answer as to what you will need. As I wrote earlier, I know what worked for my wife, but it is always better to get the answer from the people that approve your application.