Hua Hin Or Cha-am?

kato

Hi all,

I have been browsing through many posts in this forum, and have taken away a lot of useful information about both areas. However, having visited neither, I would love some advise on which those in the know think would best suit our needs for the long weekend coming up.

We are four foreign teachers in our 20's looking for a getaway in easy reach of Bangkok. We will stay the Friday night in Bangkok as we have to travel down after work on Friday. We would like to return to Bangkok on the Tuesday afternoon, so will have three nights in our chosen location.

At first we were leaning towards Cha am, for it's value for money and being a little closer to Bangkok and so easier to get to. But now are having second thoughts that there won't be enough to do there for three nights? We don't need big clubs or westernised bars, but hope to have a few bars to chose from and to have plenty of other foreign/thai tourists to hang out with. From more reading I am wondering if this will be easy to do in Cha-am, or if the busier Hua Hin is a better option, and worth the extra distance and money?

THanks in advance for any replies :)

Hi all,

I have been browsing through many posts in this forum, and have taken away a lot of useful information about both areas. However, having visited neither, I would love some advise on which those in the know think would best suit our needs for the long weekend coming up.

We are four foreign teachers in our 20's looking for a getaway in easy reach of Bangkok. We will stay the Friday night in Bangkok as we have to travel down after work on Friday. We would like to return to Bangkok on the Tuesday afternoon, so will have three nights in our chosen location.

At first we were leaning towards Cha am, for it's value for money and being a little closer to Bangkok and so easier to get to. But now are having second thoughts that there won't be enough to do there for three nights? We don't need big clubs or westernised bars, but hope to have a few bars to chose from and to have plenty of other foreign/thai tourists to hang out with. From more reading I am wondering if this will be easy to do in Cha-am, or if the busier Hua Hin is a better option, and worth the extra distance and money?

THanks in advance for any replies :)

:D What a question !!! Depend on what your travel, from Southern Bus Terminal, Van from Victory Monument 200 THB/pax one way (if I where you I would rent together a mini Van with ca. 11 seat for ca. 1500 THB p. day plus fuel ) if you go to Cha Am or Hua Hin, the charge is same, difference only 20 km.

What you expext during the nights? Cha Am and Hua Hin are not Pattaya but conservative towns. Except some lady bars Hua Hin switch off his ligths close 22:00, I hear because of his Royality in Hua Hin are no discos available but 2 - 3 about 10 km far from the center between Cha Am and Hua Hin. Same you will discover in Cha Am except on the beach some from Bangkok hold parties in small circle. Both town are now near toruist free !!! most you will meet are people from Bangkok and spec. in Cha Am you should hurry up if you want a cheap Hotel.

Let me say in short: Hua Hin have his very good restaurants and nice old town but no nice beaches because most belong to Hotels and resorts. Cha Am have few good restaurants but as compensation a nice few kilometer long beach with free access. Sleep and go to the beach in Cha Am and come visit Hua Hin for a nice walk in the evening and dinner. :D

Thaibear from HH

I would vote for Hua Hin. More to do then in Cha Am.

The main Hua Hin beach is walkable for about 4 clicks...not sure that hotels own them...never had any problems walking from Hua Hin to 'Takiab many times when living near Soi 102. Spent some time on the beach doing other activities as well.

There is a disco in the Hilton, but its pricey.

There are no go go bars.

There are plenty of bar girls.

The bars on Bintabaht are able to stay open until 2 am.

The "Billy bar area" stays open to about 6am.

Plenty of good food, tuk-tuks, hotels, guesthouses, and places to get some cold drinks.

Soi 80 also has 1 good bar that stays open until 2am.

But, it is slow here right now......pretty slow everywhere.

I usually ride the train, when possible, when going to/from Bangkok. Train station is in the middle of town here.

Enjoy.

Poe....in Hua Hin for 3 years.

Hotels do not own the beaches, whoever said that is clueless.

They do block access to an extent forcing people to walk a bit more to find the access roads.

HH does not close at 22:00. The person who said that is clueless, too.

ChaAm is a much more Thai town than HH. More to do in HH, more variety etc.

HH is 20km farther south, 10 mins. on the minivan.

I would vote for Hua Hin. More to do then in Cha Am.

The main Hua Hin beach is walkable for about 4 clicks...not sure that hotels own them...never had any problems walking from Hua Hin to 'Takiab many times when living near Soi 102. Spent some time on the beach doing other activities as well.

There is a disco in the Hilton, but its pricey.

There are no go go bars.

There are plenty of bar girls.

The bars on Bintabaht are able to stay open until 2 am.

The "Billy bar area" stays open to about 6am.

Plenty of good food, tuk-tuks, hotels, guesthouses, and places to get some cold drinks.

Soi 80 also has 1 good bar that stays open until 2am.

But, it is slow here right now......pretty slow everywhere.

I usually ride the train, when possible, when going to/from Bangkok. Train station is in the middle of town here.

Enjoy.

Poe....in Hua Hin for 3 years.

Spot on........

Hotels are slightly cheaper in Cha am...400 up for A/C TV, only have the bus station and the plaza for bars but they do stay open till very early hours if people are buying..You could stay Cha am and then of course get a bus in the evening to Hua Hin 20 baht and a taxi back for 350-400 if you get bored..must say that Cha am for foreigners at the moment is empty except for the expats...Hua Hin has a big girlie bar scene if that is what you are looking for......