Tt&t Indy Vs Premier

trd

When I signed up for TT&T's ADSL I was told to take the premier maxnet package as it was faster than the indy for international sites. I get a very stable 1.7 Mb/s download speed. So imagine my surprise when I went to fix a friend's computer and discoverd that his download speed on the 690 baht per month indy package was also 1.7Mb/s.

Is this a scam? Should I now downgrade to indy and save nearly 500 baht a month. I have the feeling that the premier just has fewer users on each port. Maybe he is just lucky in not sharing with so many users. I don't know. Does anyone have any thoughts. I'm in the Rawai area, Phuket.

international SMTP servers (i.e. servers outside of Thailand) are blocked with indy.

It's true that port 25 is blocked. I am able to use a couple of SMTP servers from the USA on my Indy account by using different port numbers. You just need to find out what port number your SMTP server supports and you're good :D

My question is on the difference between Indy and Premier: Is there definately a difference in all provinces (I'm in Chachoengsao) ?

Anyone upgraded to Premier only to be disappointed and downgraded back to Indy ?

My Indy account is desperate. I am paying for 512 up and 3072 down, yet I have just done the speed test on their own web site and got 190 up and 210 down. Any company with an atom of decency would be so embarrased about that - but not MaxNet :)

However this is Thailand, so if Premier really is better then I'll pay the difference to upgrade.

Edited by DumbFalang

"Dumbfalang: It's true that port 25 is blocked. I am able to use a couple of SMTP servers from the USA on my Indy account by using different port numbers. You just need to find out what port number your SMTP server supports and you're good :) "

Mmm, I'm Dummeereer ...I'll give this a go too as big probs to US at mo'. But any info how to do this ...thx if someone out there can give the teccy info for this.

Have tried lots, ty to webfact also as did try the dnsadvantage thing but alas didn't 'seem' to make much difference. I may try again thou as it's getting desperate. Even the Maxexcrement engineers say its 'no good' when they came to my house twice this week, but they ..the 'engineers' LOL still cant fix it.

I will put my faith in the Thaivisa users to fix this problem for me over the entire MaxdogexcrementNet organisation.

Thanks for any help for me and the numerous others who seem to be having a lorra probs at mo'.

I will put my faith in the Thaivisa users to fix this problem for me over the entire MaxdogexcrementNet organisation.

I would put more faith in the pad thai lady at the end of the street rather than invite another MaxNet clown into my home.

I'm an Internet software developer and bounce IP packets all over the world on a daily basis. When they pull out their "list of lame excuses" as they fumble around my computer and router in front of my very eyes - it makes me laugh. So, I don't bother any more.

Anyway, on to the email port blocking problem. Most SMTP servers will allow you to use a different port number for outgoing mail. The first job is to find out what that port number is and then go about changing your email client software settings.

I use Outlook as my email client, so I go to the Tools menu, Email Accounts, Change, More Settings and the Advanced tab. There is a "Server Port Number" setting and I have changed my Outgoing Server (SMTP) port number to 587 for one account and port 225 for another. Both work fine - when Maxnet is working that is. The process should be similar whatever email client you use.

Hope that helps :D

P.S. - I use OpenDNS to work around the pathetic Maxnet DNS issues. I have to admit though - the Google hijack a few weeks back had me stumped. That was classic Maxnet :)

Edited by DumbFalang

Don't know if this is a valid test. Like most of you, the internet this last week had been a miss most of the time. Even changing the DNS didn't help much as it was still slow.

Finally called the guys to come and have a look.

Right in front of them, I tested connections to a couple of sites outside of Thailand and it was slow as usual (luckily Murphy's Law didn't strike). We asked about Premier and they switched it for me to test. We tested the same set of sites and it was even worse! A couple of them don't even load. They then switch me to Indy 5Mbps and it was still the same, albeit better than the Premier.

So, I very much doubt any upgrading is going to help. Most likely, people already upgraded thinking it would help, leaving the basic line with less contention?

Matt

Looking at this thread it seems that there is a whole lot of stuff going on behind Maxnet's doors. If this is the cause of our misery, I expect the pain will continue until the politics are sorted out. We may just have make the best of what we can get for the moment. I am on Premier in Chonburi, using OpenDNS, and the service is ok, but I agree there is no point upgrading right now. I think we are just going to have to sit and wait, and see what comes out of all this. Could be a few more weeks yet.