Tight Schedule For Vientiane Multiple-entry Tourist Run, Is It Possible?

Hello all,

Sorry for not searching here first but I have very limited computer time today and need to book air tickets ASAP. Also, I'm looking for your informed advice on whether or not my itinerary is doable. I'm a US citizen btw.

My current admitted until stamp runs out on the 10th (Friday). The 7th is a Buddhist holiday Asarnha Bucha Day, Wednesday is the beginning of khao panza (and I think everything is closed on both of these days) so it's going to be busy I reckon.

I already have a Laos visa, so that saves me some hassle at the boarder and allows me to take the express bus from downtown Udon to the Vientiane central market for 80 Baht. Is that a good plan or should I just take the 200 Baht van from the airport to the boarder since I'm pessed for time?

My plan is to fly in to Udon on the 8th (Thursday) arriving at 8:05 AM with no checked bags and haul ass to the Thai embassy in Vientiane to submit my passport by 12:00pm when the cutoff time is. [i'm going for a multiple entry tourist btw.] Then I hope to be able to pick my passport up at the embassy on Friday at 1:00, cross back into Thailand and get to Udon in time to catch a 5:40 flight back to BKK.

That's not leaving any margin for error which is something I usually don't do on a visa run but I think this should be doable. Does anyone see a problem with this plan? I would prefer to overnight in Udon on Friday and enjoy some nightlife but I have to work Saturday AM.

Also, could anyone recommend a reasonably priced and clean guesthouse in Vientiane please?

Thanks in advance all!

Edited by MisterE

Hello all,

Sorry for not searching here first but I have very limited computer time today and need to book air tickets ASAP. Also, I'm looking for your informed advice on whether or not my itinerary is doable. I'm a US citizen btw.

My current admitted until stamp runs out on the 10th (Friday). The 7th is a Buddhist holiday Asarnha Bucha Day, Wednesday is the beginning of khao panza (and I think everything is closed on both of these days) so it's going to be busy I reckon.

I already have a Laos visa, so that saves me some hassle at the boarder and allows me to take the express bus from downtown Udon to the Vientiane central market for 80 Baht. Is that a good plan or should I just take the 200 Baht van from the airport to the boarder since I'm pessed for time?

My plan is to fly in to Udon on the 8th (Thursday) arriving at 8:05 AM with no checked bags and haul ass to the Thai embassy in Vientiane to submit my passport by 12:00pm when the cutoff time is. [i'm going for a multiple entry tourist btw.] Then I hope to be able to pick my passport up at the embassy on Friday at 1:00, cross back into Thailand and get to Udon in time to catch a 5:40 flight back to BKK.

That's not leaving any margin for error which is something I usually don't do on a visa run but I think this should be doable. Does anyone see a problem with this plan? I would prefer to overnight in Udon on Friday and enjoy some nightlife but I have to work Saturday AM.

Also, could anyone recommend a reasonably priced and clean guesthouse in Vientiane please?

Thanks in advance all!

Yes, it doesn't leave any margin for mistakes and delays. Personally i wouldn't do it, specially the first part of the trip seems not doable because even if you are on time in Udon, means you are out of the airport at 8.30, then you have to go to the bus station, then wait for the next bus to the border, then all the proceedings there, then continue by bus to Vientiane, then go by taxi to the Embassy.

In this case i give you 10% chance, if there is a minibus going to the border (i don't know) maybe you have a 30% possibility. On the way back, assuming you are there to collect your visa at 12.30 you have good chances to make it, but not completely sure.

Very good luck and let us know!!

The Consulate will have been closed for five days - I really believe those not there at opening bell will likely have a hard time even submitting applications - but there is no way to know - they may work all day on applications as they probably will not have any to return. But I would not want to be there next week.

I'm going to opt instead for an overnight train that will put me at the border the minute it opens, 6:00 I think. I'll check out catching the first bus that goes from downtown Udon Thani all the way to the Vientiane Morning Market. I think it's under 100 Baht for the ride (?) but you must already have a Laos visa, which I do.

For the return I've learned that Nok Air has a 6:35 flight which gives me 1 more hour to pick up my passport and make it to the Udon airport Friday. I think that's enough of a buffer.

I'll report back how it goes.