Reading Email On The Phone With Dtac/gprs

Phil Conners

Just changed from AIS to DTAC. Was able to read mail on my phone no problem with AIS, but with DTAC I keep getting the error "Subscripe to GPRS first". Before you reply the obvious, I AM subscribed to GPRS and I can go to WAP and "surf" (bah, call WAP surfing, WAP is CRAP). My mail settings ARE using the DTAC_GPRS entry.

Anyone managed to get this working with a Nokia, 6820 or other model.

Crushdepth, actually I solved the problem with your instructions even before your reply here .. following another link :o

Amazing DTAC isn't enough on their toes to get their act together, there must be plenty of people with this problem.

Thanks much!

Edited by madsere

If you have a phone that doesn't support reading email in the way that Crushdepth mentions (i.e. Nokia 6610) then DTAC also offer their users an easy to use email account that you can access by WAP or GPRS.

You'll get a [email protected] email address, I copy all my mail to it for reading when out and about.

You can set it up to send you an SMS on receipt of a specific email, i.e. if email subject contains 'Happy Birthday' then SMS to phone, which could be used in a number of handy ways.

Details of how to sign-up are here: http://www.djuice.co.th/login/thai/register/res.htm (there used to be English but I can't find it now)

Anyway, just send an SMS to 18998, like this.. rs01.gif

R means register, 2510 replace with your chosen password, and 01051973 replace with your date of birth

You'll get an SMS confirming your email account has been setup.

Login here: http://www.djuice.co.th/login/thai once you are logged in there is English language.

J

Has anyone been able to use an anonymizing proxy server through DTAC?

Due to the fraud from this part of the world a lot of companies refuse to deal with anything that comes from Thai IP addresses. For that reason I use an anonymizing proxy server in US. This has worked fine with all previous ISP's in Thailand, but with DTAC it seems like all http traffic is redirected to their own ports - even SSL/HTTPS traffic.

I'm mightly miffed, have to kick back to 56K to do a lot of my online stuff.

:o

> Due to the fraud from this part of the world a lot of companies

> refuse to deal with anything that comes from Thai IP addresses.

Due to begotry and short-sightedness on the part of certain companies in the US, I now refuse to deal with particular companies...

:o

(I don't find many of them I have to say, but if I do, it's curtains..)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Given that I am often on the receiving end of said fraud I am prefectly ok with them blocking all of Asia if it fits them. It just cost too much in chargeback fees (we're talking over $100 each these days).

The problem is the authorities here who don't give a FF about fraud.

I live with it, as long as I can go through my proxy server. Problem, as I said, is DTAC has a tighter setup than the rest of the ISP's I've tried here (probably more than 90% of the available).