Is Immigration Office At Suan Plu Closed Or Closing Soon?

What a horrible location. To put big public offices so far away from efficient public transport (thinking BTS/MRT) is just plain silly. Well, at least we can all add more to the global warming/polution/traffic jams/taxis income and we can all waste more time.

Are we allowed to do 90 day report via mail if we live down town? Can we switch to Klongtoy immigration as now much nearer to me?

Cheers!

Suan Plu isn't exactly close to a BTS or MRT station either. That's a hel_l of a walk, and in a taxi, traffic can be a nightmare.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Guys,

The few times I have been to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Center on Chaeng Wattana Road I have found it to be an exceptionally well run facility. There is an information desk upon entering that will direct you to the proper section. At each section you take a ticket and you are called in order.There is no queue jumping. For Thai citizens getting a passport is so simple now. For foreigners who need translations certified, express service is available for a small extra charge-certainly cheaper than going back out there. The officials are exceptionally knowledgeable and very courteous. There is a nice food center, a convenience store and a plethora of copying facilities. There is a taxi queue right outside the building. Definitely a world-class facility.

If Immigration follows the same management standards in a facility large enough to deal with the number of applicants then it will much easier for everyone though a bit outside the downtown area. If travel expense is a consideration then take a train to Laksi then bus or motorcycle.

For all you whingers (who seem to want the immigration officer to come to your house or favourite drinking haunt) I will add another way to get to the new office.

1. Take BTS to Victory Monument.

2. Take very fast expressway bus which takes 15-20 minutes to get to Chaeng Wattana. The final destination of this bus is Rangsit. Sorry can't remember the number but have taken it many times when working up there 3 years ago.

3. Get off at the first stop after it comes down from the expressway. Take a taxi or motorbike or walk the final km.

It is possible it is quicker than getting to Suan Phlu

Remember those of us who live in Nonthaburi cannot use the facilities at Chaeng Wattana, although we live about 2 minutes away from it. As per the new rules of using your local Immigration office. Chaeng Wattana is still Bangkok.

At Victory the 166 Bus goes to Chaeng Wattana. Also Minivans go from Mochit BTS

Edited by beano2274

The distance and location is not a big deal in my opinion.

The most important point is the time you wait for make your extension.

Every year, I wait from 4H to 6H with my queue ticket and job is done within 10 mn !

Such a long time for a stamp in my passport...

So, I hope the future office will have more staff, it is the main point !

And of course a large parking as Suan Plu was a nightmare...

What a horrible location. To put big public offices so far away from efficient public transport (thinking BTS/MRT) is just plain silly. Well, at least we can all add more to the global warming/polution/traffic jams/taxis income and we can all waste more time.

Are we allowed to do 90 day report via mail if we live down town? Can we switch to Klongtoy immigration as now much nearer to me?

Cheers!

Its a perfect location, about 1K from my house, and has very easy access with public transport and even by car its much more comfortable, from where ever you come in Bangkok metropolis. most of the ministries are moving up there already or are building there. You should take a map of bagkok to see that I'm correct, There are even air-co shuttle buses, from Victory monument, Mo Shit, Hualompho and China town. Also many toll way's are passing Chaeng wattana. And if you take Chayapruk Rd. its about 30 minutes by car from the silom road and Sukhumlvit area.

Well Guys,

The few times I have been to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Center on Chaeng Wattana Road I have found it to be an exceptionally well run facility. There is an information desk upon entering that will direct you to the proper section. At each section you take a ticket and you are called in order.There is no queue jumping. For Thai citizens getting a passport is so simple now. For foreigners who need translations certified, express service is available for a small extra charge-certainly cheaper than going back out there. The officials are exceptionally knowledgeable and very courteous. There is a nice food center, a convenience store and a plethora of copying facilities. There is a taxi queue right outside the building. Definitely a world-class facility.

If Immigration follows the same management standards in a facility large enough to deal with the number of applicants then it will much easier for everyone though a bit outside the downtown area. If travel expense is a consideration then take a train to Laksi then bus or motorcycle.

Correct to certify some translated documents from my embassy it took exactly 45 minutes, even the parking staff is extremely friendly and helpfull.

Henryalleman - You live in MTT? Is MTT not part of Nonthaburi? If so then you will have to use Ayutthaya or Chonburi, no chance to use Chaeng Wattana, as it's Bangkok. I also live very close, but still have to go to Ayutthaya.

Cheers!

Cheers!

I actually live in the area and most times find it very convenient it is only a 25 minute drive to Sukumvit. There are many forms of transport available but I agree entirely with the statment that the traffice can be horrendous but mostly at peak times. Personally the drive to current immigration is not only inconvenient but parking is virtually impossible. I stood for quite some time on the 5th floor last week without air-con amidst a mass of humanity sweating like a pig on a spit, at least the new offices are modern and air-conditioned. Like most other issues with foreigners in Thauiland we eventually become accostomed and learn to accept as fighting the system is a road to insanity.

Nonthaburi uses Bangkok immigration. I am pretty sure of it.

YES 100% correct... I live at the far end of Nontaburi District Area so Ayutthaya is closer and much easier to drive to + park, but NO I must use BKK

Sorry, but for most I do think it will be much less convenient... I'm willing to bet my Visa that far fewer farangs DON"T have their own car, then those that do.

Sure you have plenty of expats here on "Expat Packages" with company supplied cars and drivers, then are those with nice size savings and pensions that are retired here. But the vast majority don't have these luxeries... They are teachers, domestics, nannies, small business owners, labourers, etc... Just look around you when you visit immigration next... How many Westerners from America and Europe do you see? ... a definate minority.

For us, the majority of Farangs, traveling there, in a much less central location, will be Far more inconvenient then it is now.

CS

I thought it was a good idea to locate government offices out of town. As for owning a car, you don't need to be on an expat package, they aren't that expensive you know. Cars and pensions are not a luxury.

Re. your other post about the government being there for the people, I think it's there for Thai people, not your convenience.

As a foreigner in London, I believe you have to go to Croydon for visa issues, which is hardly central either.

Edited by inthepink

Remember those of us who live in Nonthaburi cannot use the facilities at Chaeng Wattana, although we live about 2 minutes away from it. As per the new rules of using your local Immigration office. Chaeng Wattana is still Bangkok.

At Victory the 166 Bus goes to Chaeng Wattana. Also Minivans go from Mochit BTS

Note that the 166 turns left on to Chang Wattana and you would need to turn right towards Laksi to get where you want to be.

Check the list, and ask the mods, Nonthaburi is not Bangkok, it has its own designated Immigration offices, these are N. Pathom, Chonburi or Ayutthaya

You can use those or Bangkok I think. The official word from immigration is that all of metropolitan Bangkok can use the BKK office, which

Nonthaburi is part of.

They allow you to use the other offices in case you live at the other end of the provinces, in which case, those offices are closer.

Check the list, and ask the mods, Nonthaburi is not Bangkok, it has its own designated Immigration offices, these are N. Pathom, Chonburi or Ayutthaya

You can use those or Bangkok I think. The official word from immigration is that all of metropolitan Bangkok can use the BKK office, which

Nonthaburi is part of.

They allow you to use the other offices in case you live at the other end of the provinces, in which case, those offices are closer.

Nonthaburi is its own Province, it is not metropolitan Bangkok. Check through previous posts on this site about people in Nonthaburi having to use the above mentioned immigration offices and not being able to use Bangkok, that is why we have to use the 5th floor at Suan Phlu for 90 day reporting and extensions at the moment

I am surprised no one has suggested it was purposely built out there to make it inconvenient for falang. Who I guess are the most likely people to be using it.

no all farang. Just you and all the other conspiracy theorists.

It's next to the passport office.

Not many foreigners using the Thai passport office.

Suan Plu was a dump - It's hardly a surprise they're moving out of it. And this is as good a place as any (next to other departments, near the expressway and the railway.) If they'd really wanted to inconvenience farangs, there are far worse places they could have put it...

OK - it's not on the MRT or the Skytrain, but very little of Bangkok is. And what is next to those, tends to already have stuff built on it. (I'll admit, the empty bit of ground next to Wave place near the British embassy would have been nice, but do you really see immigration getting the money to buy a decent sized plot on Sukhumvit.)

Nonthaburi is its own Province,

Yes, I am not stupid...... :)

it is not metropolitan Bangkok.

Yes it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangkok_Metropolitan_Area

and not being able to use Bangkok, that is why we have to use the 5th floor at Suan Phlu for 90 day reporting and extensions at the moment

Thought you just said you couldn't use Bangkok?

Edited by madjbs

The new location is terrible for people that live in central bkk. The road itself is terrible - traffic jammed most of the time and constant road works means car or bus is the only option. While immigration moving to Chaeng Wattana only affects foreigners, the decision by the MOFA to put the consular department out on the edge of the city was crazy. Since many people need to visit the consular office, I'm wondering why they didn't move another ministry (e.g. energy or education ministry) to the edge of the city instead of moving the one department which probably needs to be visited by most of the population at some time. One thing that you can count on is many trips out there, especially when immigration officers require more copies or other documents.

There are some public transport options, but the most reliable are the mini van bus (the Pak Kred van) from Mor Chit BTS station which will stop right there, or you can get 166 bus from victory monument, but you need to change to another bus when you get to chaeng wattana. There are some other buses that run less frequently but the fastest from central bangkok would be the min van at jatujak park (morchit bts).

For all of the bad points about Suan Plu, at least it was in a central location. Well now if we can only get them to relocate government house way out of bangkok. Yala perhaps !

Edited by Time Traveller

Nonthaburi is not mentioned in the list of designated immigration offices.

The Ayutthaya immigration office is not on that list. Are they planning to shut it down?

Nakhon Pathom immigration office is not on that list. In fact, Nakhon Pathom province is listed in the service area of the Samut Sakhon immigration office.

Where does that leave you, if you live in Nonthaburi province? Common sense says that on paper any place in the vicinity of Bangkok and not assigned in that list to any other immigration office belongs to the service area of the Metropolitan Bangkok immigration office, at least so long as you get no written instruction to the contrary from the Bangkok office. The fact that the Ayutthaya office, and perhaps also some other nearby offices, accept applications from Nonthaburi residents gives these applicants a welcome choice.

--

Maestro

Nakhon Pathom immigration office is not on that list. In fact, Nakhon Pathom province is listed in the service area of the Samut Sakhon immigration office.

There is, as far as I can establish, no immigration office in Nakhon Pathom.

Nakhon Pathom province is indeed listed as in the service area of Samut Sakhon office. However Suan Phlu (Room 507) has been accepting my 90-day reports even though the list of provinces outside of Room 507 does not include Nakhon Pathom.

As I reported a week or so ago....... The Ayutthaya immigration office will not do my 90 day reporting or will they do my yearly extension. when I called in they looked up the address and said must use Suan Plu..

Had to go again yesterday to IT Seer Rangsit, via the new road and bridge took 28 mins, [takes that time to Ayutthaya] so for me the NEW BKK immigration office will be about an hours round trip where Suan Plu is a 3 hour round trip +++ all the time trying to park.

Edit: It is all very odd, a 80yr old UK guy that lives less then 1km from me goes to Pattaya for his Extensions, but uses the Postal Service at Suan Plu for his 90day reporting

Edited by ignis

Now that the Bangkok immigration office will change their office soon, I want to change immigration offices before they move. My address is Soi Paisingto, Klong-toey. I have been going to the Bangkok (Suan Plu) immigration office for my (retirement) visas. Can I switch over to the office in Klong-toey? How do I do it and or what do I need to do to make the change? What is the Klong-toey immigration address? Thanks for any help you can give.

Henryalleman - You live in MTT? Is MTT not part of Nonthaburi? If so then you will have to use Ayutthaya or Chonburi, no chance to use Chaeng Wattana, as it's Bangkok. I also live very close, but still have to go to Ayutthaya.

No,no MTT is part of Bangkok metropolis even its Nonthaburi, so go to Suan Phlu, and hopefuly Chaeng Wattana later Anyhow I will ask next week when I go Suan Plhu

Edited by henryalleman

• 3 weeks later...

People living in Khlong Toei are supposed to go the Harbor Immigration office under the new policies. I think you will be required to go to the Khlong Toei office now.

Now that the Bangkok immigration office will change their office soon, I want to change immigration offices before they move. My address is Soi Paisingto, Klong-toey. I have been going to the Bangkok (Suan Plu) immigration office for my (retirement) visas. Can I switch over to the office in Klong-toey? How do I do it and or what do I need to do to make the change? What is the Klong-toey immigration address? Thanks for any help you can give.