Play

srisatch

There has been some discussion in the forum about Thais 'bringing themselves up' and 'never being disciplined'...which may lead to the circumstance of 'cannot tell a Thai what to do'. May relate to 'The way Thais are' 'Thai logic' and 'educational competence' I should think, also!...and certainly to the development of personality and thinking

I have small kids and there are five prevalent issues..in the extended family:

Thai view:

1. All toys are a waste of time...but you can waste a few Baht on plastic rubbish if you want

2. Play? What is that?

3. Speak to the baby? Why? Are you worried she will grow up unable to speak?

4. Help her to learn or teach her to read/write? Can't do that. That is a job for teachers,anyway

and

5. I say that the kids 'cannot do' some things. Scowls all around from the Thais!

These are not poor/uneducated people

Anyone have any experience of this?

I find the opposite to be true

Me too - I'm always amazed at how well behaved Thai kids are. They are little shits in England.

Also - the Thais I know love playing with kids. Strangers pay them lots of attention too here which is why I think they seem to be more mature.

Formal teaching of infants is frowned upon in my family, it is in Scandanavia too.

This stuff about getting them into an International School at 2.5 years old is sheer profiteering.

You are right that they don't push them into speaking - rather they let nature take its course. That's what I opted for - I guess I'll see what happens.

good to hear that, my daughter is 3 1/2 and my wife teaches her thai and english. reading and writing, she is quite well behaved, and agree Thai's love to play with kids, especially strangers. I suppose it depends on who you hang around with, buts mostly I find Thai kids well beahved and polite, the Thai Chinese ones can be a bit noisy.

good to hear that, my daughter is 3 1/2 and my wife teaches her thai and english. reading and writing, she is quite well behaved, and agree Thai's love to play with kids, especially strangers. I suppose it depends on who you hang around with, buts mostly I find Thai kids well beahved and polite, the Thai Chinese ones can be a bit noisy.

Well behaved?..yes..silent, repressed zombies...agree about International Schools. Guess Thailand invented 'Home Education!!?

Guess its who you hang out with?!