Habanero Pepper Seeds

I placed an order for a small amount of harbanero seeds from a reputable seed company in the US and they sent me a 1/4th lb instead of a 1/4th oz. What can I do with the extra?? maybe offer them for sale at cost+ shipping and handling to thaivisa farmers?? am open to trade/swap. these seeds are unavailable here at any cost as far as I know and the following is a brief discription and link.

PM me if interested......

Habanero - 90 Days. (Very Hot) Thin walled fruit taper to a point. 1 x 11/2 inches long. Somewhat wrinkled fruit turn from light green to orange at maturity. Much hotter than a jalapeno. Good for home garden and market. Scovilles up to 215,000

The habanero chili (Capsicum chinense) (pronounced /abəˈnɛroʊ/ or /ˌhabəˈnɛroʊ; Spanish pronunciation: [aβaˈnero]), sometimes incorrectly spelled "habañero"[1], is one of the most intensely spicy species of chili peppers of the Capsicum genus. Unripe habaneros are green, and they color as they mature. Common colors are orange and red, but white, brown, and pink are also seen. Typically a ripe habanero is 2–6 centimetres (0.79–2.4 in) long.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habanero_chili

I placed an order for a small amount of harbanero seeds from a reputable seed company in the US and they sent me a 1/4th lb instead of a 1/4th oz. What can I do with the extra?? maybe offer them for sale at cost+ shipping and handling to thaivisa farmers?? am open to trade/swap. these seeds are unavailable here at any cost as far as I know and the following is a brief discription and link.

PM me if interested......

Habanero - 90 Days. (Very Hot) Thin walled fruit taper to a point. 1 x 11/2 inches long. Somewhat wrinkled fruit turn from light green to orange at maturity. Much hotter than a jalapeno. Good for home garden and market. Scovilles up to 215,000

The habanero chili (Capsicum chinense) (pronounced /abəˈnɛroʊ/ or /ˌhabəˈnɛroʊ; Spanish pronunciation: [aβaˈnero]), sometimes incorrectly spelled "habañero"[1], is one of the most intensely spicy species of chili peppers of the Capsicum genus. Unripe habaneros are green, and they color as they mature. Common colors are orange and red, but white, brown, and pink are also seen. Typically a ripe habanero is 2–6 centimetres (0.79–2.4 in) long.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habanero_chili

Mate

I'll take a few grams, what do you want swap/trade etc??

Zimba

jaidee; that is a hel_l of a lot of pepper seed. They are too hot for my taste but good luck in you quest. My peter pepper seed shipment disappeared in transit between La. and Chiang Mai. The shipment that was waylaid, stolen, hijacked or whatever was only 100 seeds in a normal post envelope. I was planning on setting out on the farm (at right stage) and they would/could be a conservation item in the village and around CM.

Yeah, that is a lot of heat comming my way.......

The seeds are still in transit to by brother, who will tranship them to me and I'll have to work out the cost and translate from lb/oz to grams and will inform you when the shipment arrives....should be in a couple of weeks, I hope. Could be delayed by the 4th of july holiday weekend in the US...so 3 wks maybe.

I'm not trying to make any more than my expenses on the shipper's mistake and can mail them out via ems here quite cheap [on this end, once I have them in hand]

Will keep names and contacts on file and notify when they arrive.

If you get them to grow, PM me.

I have tried twice with no result. :)

You mean like this ?

To successfully grow habaneros you need soil with good drainage and rich in organic matter.

Bone meal will greatly enhance appearance and make for vigorous plants.

When small, some netting or partial shade is needed.

Best

post-14625-1246621674_thumb.jpg

Congrats, SD2! Beautiful specimens. Are those in the pics grown here in LOS?

Jaidee, please let us know how those seeds work out for you.

I brought some over myself but couldn't get a single plant from the whole seed packet.

Congrats, SD2! Beautiful specimens. Are those in the pics grown here in LOS?

Jaidee, please let us know how those seeds work out for you.

I brought some over myself but couldn't get a single plant from the whole seed packet.

On the vine; they look like this ! All here in Thailand.

Try again in better soil, I am sure you will be successful.

http://userwebs.batnet.com/rwc-seed/Pepper.growing.tips.html

post-14625-1246782847_thumb.jpg

post-14625-1246782960_thumb.jpg

post-14625-1246782986_thumb.jpg

post-14625-1246783025_thumb.jpg

Yeah soidog, good lots of info, but brings up a couple of questions.......

They say peat is a No No, but what about cocopeat [shreaded coconut husk]?

and what can you substitute for the exotic potting and seedling mixes that we don't have here,

what did you use??

Yeah soidog, good lots of info, but brings up a couple of questions.......

They say peat is a No No, but what about cocopeat [shreaded coconut husk]?

and what can you substitute for the exotic potting and seedling mixes that we don't have here,

what did you use??

Just ignore all that miracle grow stuff, make your own.

I use planting trays to germinate the seeds. Fill up regular garden soil mixed with composted cow manure, about 60/40 %

Make sure it’s nice and smooth, no big lumps, spread it evenly; fill the tray up to the top.

Lay down one or two seeds for each space, sprinkle some more dirt on top, give them a good shower and you’re good to go.

From now on, keep them moist but not drenched

Once they are up about an inch or so , start sprinkling composted cow manure ( just a thin cover) every couple of weeks. It takes about two month for them to reach planting strength.

For germination , the critical factor is soil temperature. Make sure they’re in a worm spot but protected from the elements !

Regards !

Hello soidog2, I'm confused, you give a link to RCSC on starting chili plants(post #8), you then in your post #11, you tell how you do it.

In the RCSC article, it states 2 times:

1. "9.) Do not add organic materials that may have a lot of fungi spores, to your seed starting soil, like cow or horse manures, bat guano, garden soil, worm castings, or compost. Chicken manure, blood meal, fish fertilizer, bone meal and other more sterile materials can be used, and will not add fungi that can kill your seedlings".

2."We recommend that for your seed starting soil, do not add materials that may have a lot of fungi spores, like cow or horse manures, bat guano, garden soil, worm castings, or compost. Chicken manure, blood meal, fish fertilizer, bone meal and other more sterile materials can be used, and will not add fungi that can kill your seedlings".

I find that sand and coir will work on the cheap, but when growing for a crop to sell, I use a packaged tray substrate 50/50 with coir.

When seed cost you Bt.2,087@1000seed, why take the risk?

RCSC has changed their way of growing peppers of the last 8 years or so that I know of, they use to say soak your seed bleach or Pot Nit for a few hours before planting, it's used as a fungicide, or use the real deal like Captain.<sp>

I do this for dirt and hydro growing, dirt is 90% of my growing, now.

rice555

Hello soidog2, I'm confused, you give a link to RCSC on starting chili plants(post #8), you then in your post #11, you tell how you do it.

In the RCSC article, it states 2 times:

1. "9.) Do not add organic materials that may have a lot of fungi spores, to your seed starting soil, like cow or horse manures, bat guano, garden soil, worm castings, or compost. Chicken manure, blood meal, fish fertilizer, bone meal and other more sterile materials can be used, and will not add fungi that can kill your seedlings".

2."We recommend that for your seed starting soil, do not add materials that may have a lot of fungi spores, like cow or horse manures, bat guano, garden soil, worm castings, or compost. Chicken manure, blood meal, fish fertilizer, bone meal and other more sterile materials can be used, and will not add fungi that can kill your seedlings".

I find that sand and coir will work on the cheap, but when growing for a crop to sell, I use a packaged tray substrate 50/50 with coir.

When seed cost you Bt.2,087@1000seed, why take the risk?

RCSC has changed their way of growing peppers of the last 8 years or so that I know of, they use to say soak your seed bleach or Pot Nit for a few hours before planting, it's used as a fungicide, or use the real deal like Captain.<sp>

I do this for dirt and hydro growing, dirt is 90% of my growing, now.

rice555

You are right, for a beginners it is better to learn from the links, on the other hand;

I have been growing habaneros in Thailand for six/seven years.

They always germinate this way for me. I plant about a hundred or so every year !

By the way I do the same thing for tomatoes !

Best .

• 3 weeks later...

The seeds have arrived at last!! In addition to the habaneros, I can part with a few other seeds......

University of Hawaii Manoa lettuce [heat tolerant for tropics, sweet, fast growing],

Ancho chilis [for chili relenos],

Itallian sweet basil [the real thing, not Thai types],

Red Sails lettuce [another fast growing, heat tolerant lettuce for the tropics.]

I have gram quantities for all and 1/2 oz for Habaneros and Manoa lettuce.

This is not a comercial venture, but I simply want to recover some shipping and handling expenses and offer hard [or impossible] to get seeds here in LOS. If it works out, then I may consider going comercial and expanding my offerings.

If interested, PM me for details.

• 11 months later...

Hmm, why did this thread go south last year? I've got 30 chinense (Bhuts, Nagas, red&orange&chocolate Habs) and 4 annums (Early Jalapenos) growing and just starting to pod up. Is anybody else here still growing? Cheers.

Hmm, why did this thread go south last year? I've got 30 chinense (Bhuts, Nagas, red&orange&chocolate Habs) and 4 annums (Early Jalapenos) growing and just starting to pod up. Is anybody else here still growing? Cheers.

Nice to hear from you !

I grow them year round , every imaginable color.

Best with " somtam " and a beer, for lunch , every day.

regards

post-14625-038038500 1279704704_thumb.jp

Nice to hear from you !

regards

Hello, glad somebodies still out there. Where are you growing? I'm in west central Thailand almost Kanchanaburi.

Habs, som tam, and beer for lunch sounds good to me. Bhut, I also like them with omelette's, pizza, spaghetti, salsa, and chicken burritos...to name a few.

What's your grow list this year? Cheers.

Nice to hear from you !

regards

Hello, glad somebodies still out there. Where are you growing? I'm in west central Thailand almost Kanchanaburi.

Habs, som tam, and beer for lunch sounds good to me. Bhut, I also like them with omelette's, pizza, spaghetti, salsa, and chicken burritos...to name a few.

North East in Buriram province.

Yes I know what you mean, they do ad flavor to any meal. Sometime I take habanero sauce on long flights to make the food edible !

The "grow list" is very varied; lots of fruit , spices in the garden, spinach in the shade, tomatoes; whatever looks interesting.

regards

Nice to hear from you !

regards

North East in Buriram province.

Yes I know what you mean, they do ad flavor to any meal. Sometime I take habanero sauce on long flights to make the food edible !

The "grow list" is very varied; lots of fruit , spices in the garden, spinach in the shade, tomatoes; whatever looks interesting.

regards

Actually, I was wondering about the Capsicum you are growing. Sounds like you've been doing this awhile. Cheers.

hi spicy guys,

i live in phrao province 94 km north east of chiang mai

is there anybody that has some pepper seeds for sale at the moment /

i would like to try my hand on them

hope to hear something soon

cliokchismile.gif

Sorry, I don't have any seeds at this time; but that may change in a couple of months. My peppers are just podding up. What are you looking for?

cliokchi,

I don't have any hab seeds but i do have plenty hybrid jalapeno, Ancho, serrano and several other types of mexican pepper seeds and have some more arriving in transit from the US. Let me know how much you are looking for and what type and we can go from there.

thescot

I am looking for Habanero seed, Heat tolerant Lettuce, spinach, green Chile from New Mexico, ect.If anyone has any quote me the prices, if you do not want to do that on the forum ,PM me.

Cheers::)

You will find it much easier to order from US or Canadian sites; some will mail packages to Thailand and you will be assured of quality seeds.

Just look for sites with seeds for southern US areas.

regards

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/hot.htm

http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/cart/seeds/

Edited by soidog2

Hello kikoman, when you say lettuce, what type?? Head, loose leaf, red-green?

If you are talking about "head lettuce" as I know it, it's not going to grow where you

live, needs cooler temp for 80 days.

Other types of lettuce seed are available in Thai ag stores or co's that sell hydroponic

supplies, ACK, Fresh Gardens, Bangsai and Accent(all BKK), all hydro co's will EMS

your order. Chi Tai(CP/CPF) sales a 'crisp head' which is more like a loose rapped head

lettuce.

Spinach, Known You Seed Co sales spinach seed, I've posted a picture of the seed pack

on another TV veg threads. If you can't find it on the racks, have the seed store order

you some(if the sell KYSC seed), my regular store will order for me, usually 10-pack

minium which is Bt. 200. It pays to have a good working relationship with a good shop.

Chili seed, I'm not offering this to anyone beyond you, I have 20gr of NM Sandia from

the same co that the OP got his Hab seed from. Also 1oz of NM Big Jim or 1 oz of

Pasilla Bajio 80 days. Mildly hot a slightly sweet, slender 8 to 14 inch pepper turning

dark-green to red and finally to brown. Unique rich flavor that used in ’mole’ and other

Mexican dishes. Often called Chilaca when green. Additional info: 4000 seeds/oz.

One or all, PM me an offer, I don't sale 30-100 seed pack. The NM are lower cost than the

Pasilla's. NM go for around 1/16oz Big Jim price, Pasilla's around 1/8oz BJ price!

Pix's of the lettuce I can buy seed for in Korat.(except the Boston)

rice555

TGS, which soidog2 gave a link to.

NuMex Sandia #9309 (30 seeds) $2.55

This NuMex type pepper is smaller and hotter than Big Jim and Joe E. Parker, delivering

pungent 4 to 6 inch peppers. They turn bright scarlet when ripe. 75-80 days

NuMex Big Jim #9522A

The largest of New Mexican varieties, this pepper has pods up to 12 inches long that

weigh as much as 4 ounces. Their size makes them a favorite for chiles rellenos.

Medium hot pungency. As an advantage, plants are able to set fruit under hot, dry

conditions. 80 days.

1/32 Ounce: $4.90

1/16 Ounce: $7.35

1/8 Ounce: $10.00

1/4 Ounce: $13.50

NuMex Joe E. Parker #9224 (30 seeds) $2.45

This is a very productive version of NuMex 6-4 that offers more uniform peppers. 6 to

7-inch thick-fleshed peppers turn from green to red and are relatively mild to medium

in flavor. Ripens earlier than most other peppers of its type. 65 days.

Anaheim TMR #9457 (30 seeds) $2.50

Also know as the 'New Mexican Chile,' this moderately pungent fruit is deep green, but

turns red at full maturity. Very smooth peppers are 7-1/2 inches long and 2 inches

wide and borne on tall, productive plants that offer good foliage cover for the fruit.

Tobacco mosaic virus resistant. Excellent for canning, freezing or drying. 75 days.

PS, it's much easier to have someone re-pack and mail your seed order<s> to you, the

below order is going to the OP and other TV members, just takes a little planing.

Johnnys Seeds

Isar-1,000 Seeds Beans, Bush > Yellow, Filet

Early Wonder Tall Top Beet-1/4 Pound

Red Leaf Amaranth-Greens Calaloo Mini-pkt

Nevada-Packet Lettuce Summer Crisp

Cherokee-Packet Lettuce Summer Crisp

Lilly (F1)-Packet Crenshaw Melon

Tyee (F1) (OG)-5,000 Seeds Spinach Savoyed-Leaf

Ruby Red or Rhubarb Chard-1 Ounce

Fordhook Giant-1 Ounce Swiss Chard

BHN-826 (F1)-Mini Tomatoes Determinate

BHN-189 (F1)-50 Seeds Tomatoes Determinate

Summer Ball (F1)-Packet Pumpkins Small (Pie)

Native AM Seeds

1 Guatemalan Amaranth 14 g

1 Hopi Black Pinto

1 Negro Pasilla (dried chilies)

1 Durango Purple Star Bean

1 Hopi Pink Bean

1 Rio Bavispe Pinto

2 Tarahumara Ojo de Cabra Bean 56 gr

1 Pima Orange Lima Bean

1 Hopi Red Lima Bean"Pala hatiko"

1 Negro de Valle chili

1 Vallero chili

1 Calabaza Caliente

1 Mayo Indigo

1 Santo Domingo Ceremonial Tobacco 3 gr

1 Corrales melon1 gr

1 Orach

CO seeds

Bush Kentucky Wonder 125 P.V.P. Pkt.

Indy Gold (PVP) Pkt.

Ruby Queen 1oz.

Bouquet Dill Pkt.

Salad King Pkt.

Oregano (O. vulgare), Pkt.

Buttercrunch oz.

Clemson Spineless oz.

Anaheim Chili oz.

Early Jalapeno oz.

Fresno Chili 1/4 oz.

Santa Fe Grande oz.

Bloomsdale Long Standing oz.

Ruby Red Chard 1/4 lb.

Flax (Linum) Pkt.

Marigold French Double Dwarf Mixed oz.

Marigold Queen Sophia Pkt.

Sunflower, Mammoth Gray Stripe 1/4 lb.

Sunflower, Lemon Queen Pkt.

Sunflower, Teddy Bear oz.

San Juan F1 Hyb. Western Shipper 100 seeds

Orange Flesh Honeydew oz.

Athena Hybrid 10 seeds

Banana Tree

CIRICA papaya "Mexican Hyb." 200 seeds

TRICHOCEREUS pachanoi "San Pedro Cactus" pkt.

BIXA orellana "Anatto Dye Plant" pkt

ELETTARIA "Cardamon" pkt

PROSOPIS juliflora "Mesquite" pkt

STRELITZIA nicolai "White Bird of Paradise" pkt

post-37242-050785300 1280307456_thumb.jp

post-37242-019546900 1280307524_thumb.jp