Using Thai Cellphone In France?

teacup

Hi

I will be in Paris soon meeting up with some family members from Thailand, but just wondering….

If the thai phone will work in France as well, my mom wants to know - many of her friends had been to France however they never used their cell there.

I know my Verizon - US works well when I’m in Thailand when calling back to the US and anywhere else in Thailand.

Thanks in advance :)

it seems to depend on what sim / package you have. my 1-2-call only works in thailand, well even the if i go to the golden triangle it thinks i am in laos and wont work but my mre dtac seems to be ok abroad. both are pay as you go style. i tried asking ais to allow international roaming but they just said cant.., easy and cheap way of course id to get a french sim

Thanks all for your helpful replies,…Alant, Simcity, Jiu-Jitsu

I will pass along your info ……My mom just wanted to make sure that people in Thailand can contact her “instantly” in case of some emergency, and when we do get separated during the sightseeings. My mom do get panic easily.

Ok I will remind them to check on their international roaming coverage, and good to know their thai phone will work over in France.

Thanks all again ja

teacup :)

Edited by teacup

Hi

I will be in Paris soon meeting up with some family members from Thailand, but just wondering….

If the thai phone will work in France as well, my mom wants to know - many of her friends had been to France however they never used their cell there.

I know my Verizon - US works well when I’m in Thailand when calling back to the US and anywhere else in Thailand.

I am a little curious here about why you use a Verizon phone in Thailand.Do they not charge you a fortune to use it?I have Verizon also.It would be cheaper to buy a cheap phone that has a sim card ( which Verizon phones do not ) to use while you are in Thailand.That is what I have done.I bought a cheap phone with a sim card and have used it in Thailand and Vietnam with no problems.I did have to buy different sim card in Vietnam but that is expected.You can get them from any post office,and then recharge cards from many other places.Last time I was in France they did not have cell phones for the public anywere in the world yet. :D

• 1 month later...

yes okay ,

well be aware that moblile phone use in FRANCE is the most expensive in whole of europe.

I use different sims for the countrys Iam at that moment .

you can find the prices on line from Orange, etcetera, in france I use a Le clerq sim , cheapest to get , but that diamond is dead in thailand , so UI use dAtac here what service me not as Iam in Cambodia....

its keeps up to be not easy....

call from France to Thailand with a FIXPHONE /LANDLINE thats cheap. leave your mobil in your pocket...

Hi

I know my Verizon - US works well when I'm in Thailand when calling back to the US and anywhere else in Thailand.

A cell phones usage in various countries depends on which (or all) of 3 wave bands the phone comes equipped with , not the sim card , just go on the web-site of your phones manufacturer to find zones of compatability by its model number . I took my cell phone to Canada once only to find it only had 2 wave bands that were not compatable , an update was higher than the cost of a replacement phone , I just brought a Nokia (Sim-card) phone back with me to Cambodia (same wave-band as Thailand) and for $10.00 us had the phone modified , sim card plus $2.00 credit applied . Most cell phones sold in S.E Asia only have 2 wave bands .

yes okay ,

well be aware that moblile phone use in FRANCE is the most expensive in whole of europe.

I use different sims for the countrys Iam at that moment .

you can find the prices on line from Orange, etcetera, in france I use a Le clerq sim , cheapest to get , but that diamond is dead in thailand , so UI use dAtac here what service me not as Iam in Cambodia....

its keeps up to be not easy....

call from France to Thailand with a FIXPHONE /LANDLINE thats cheap. leave your mobil in your pocket...

Go to any phone shop or booth in Phnom Penh and buy a $3.00 sim card , get it topped up on practically any street as you need more time , life CAN be very simple .

I travel frequently and especially to France. I am on account with AIS [pay monthly] who supply me with International Roaming. Can travel anywhere and at anytime without purchasing any other item or informing anyone. Telephone works perfectly everywhere and anyone in Thailand that wants to contact me only has to dial the same number as they would if I was in Thailand. A point to remember is to research the French telephone providers as there is a HUGE difference in their charges for overseas calls. Before you travel AIS can provide you with a list of these companies and the charges they apply. If you plan to make alot of calls to Thailand maybe cheaper to buy a French 'starter kit' and top up as needed but note your friends will not then be able to telephone you on your Thai No.. You will then have a French No.. I personally use a VOIP company that I have subscribed to for computer calls who offer the facility to register a landline or mobile No. into their website which facilitates ZERO CHARGE calls from that registered phone to any other phone almost anywhere in the World. Mick