Independence Day Celebrations

Greenside

Now I would like an honest report

How many of you went back and looked up photo 106?

Honest report: It was pretty good all round but there's some work to be done to please more of the people more of the time. I'm told the organisers will be taking on board the constructive criticisms that have surfaced on this thread so that's a positive outcome.

Picture 106: only a miserable 42 views as of now but for those who can't cope with wading through to page 7 on the gallery, here it is.....

584520000_QnpzB-L.jpg

Have to say I thought it was a bit OTT and it nearly didn't make the cut but now I appreciate the sociological aspects of corn consumption I can view it in an entirely different light :)

I like Americans a lot.

I cannot say if it is because that is where I grew up and that is what I am used to, or if it is because there is something special about them. All I know is that if I go to something like the Fourth of July party and meet American people that I have never met before, I will enjoy many people's company on a level that I do not with other nationalities.

Don't get me wrong, I have close friends from other countries and I enjoy learning about them and their ways, but I only find the occasional person from elsewhere that I have any desire to get close to.

There were something like 10 people at our table on the Fourth - three long term friends and maybe 7 people that I have never met before. I liked every one of them and felt comfortable just hanging out. They were funny and helpful and giving and all had something interesting to say.

By the way, there are plenty of d*ckheads back home too. I hated them when I was a kid, but they seem to be everywhere. There are jerks in every country. When I was a kid, they all seemed to be right wing conservatives, but not anymore. I am just starting to realize that it is not about politics. It is about being close-minded, and nowadays there are plenty of old, know-it-all, liberal farts that are just as narrow minded and stubborn as those old grumps when I was a kid.

When it comes to American politics, I don't know what to say. Every country seems to put their wants and needs above other places - that is how the game is played. Every country wants to be number one and will lie, steal and cheat to get there. Some countries pretend to be above all that, but they are no better than us. They just realize that they don't have any chance, anyway.

America does not always do the right thing, but I believe that we do not go out of their way to do the wrong thing either. When we hurt someone, we usually had no better practical option. You cannot say that about a lot of the other most powerful countries. I cannot think of another country that - in the long run - I believe would be any more trustworthy than we are, but, no doubt, we will sink pretty low in order to get our way.

I did not make up the rules of the game, but if selfishness is the way of the world, I rather be on top than on the bottom and so would most people who have any choice in the matter. What I'm trying to say is, I don't like a lot of those tough b*astards that run our government, but I am thankful for the riches they have brought us and rather have them working for us, than another country.

A lot of Americans seem to hate the place and everything that it stands for. They also seem to me to often be the ones who have benefitted from its politics and policies the most. I don't get it, but I'm no saint and in America, you have the right to think what you want to think.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Ooh, baseball! Now that's one of those "constructive criticisms" that the organizers should take to heart for next year. There is certainly the space for game or two at the new venue. I expect many of those kids have never seen a baseball game. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to play baseball, I just want to watch a game. It's one of the few sports where spectators can have a conversation with friends, eat, drink and still follow all the action. Yes, I know you can do that with cricket too, but I'm an American and I don't really want to learn about a new sport at this stage of life.

Hubby and I had a spendid time and thought the VFW did a great job for the first time. They really put much thought and planning into children's activities and how to handle the crowds in case of rain. I didn't think the beer a rip-off. In fact, I so pleased that I had way too many ice cold Coors Lights. I doubt you can buy them in Chiang Mai at any price, let alone at the 60 baht bargain price.

Yes, there is some room for improvement. The two-person combo that played was too loud and I think that American popular music is more than just country music. At least they did one Jimmy Buffet song. How about some Beach Boys or Simon and Garfinkle? The parking/signage situation wasn't good. We walked quite a distance on the grounds following signs, only to discover the signs were intended for parking your car, not entering the venue. The temporary, portable rest rooms were really horrid. Not only were they Thai style, but they were totally flooded and filthy by 5 pm. How about a good, old American style portapotty, one with chemicals in the in the holding tank to neutralize odors? But these are minor "complaints", really more suggestions.

Overall it was a very good day and we plan on attending next year. Thank you to everyone involved in making the event so successful.

I really enjoyed it last year at the U.S. Consulate location. It seemed more traditional there - not a money-making venture. Also, this time, with the exception of the ribs from what I understand (unfortunately I did not try them), the food was poor. But my main criticism is about the loud speaker. Why do some people feel they must yell into a microphone which is sufficiently amplified? It was really irritating, bordering on painful, every time a prize number was being announced.

After passing through the security check and moving on to pay the admission fee, as my 17 month old child showed excitement because she got a stamp on her hand one of the men working there said "throw that kid in the sewer, I hate kids", I was horrified and would have at least had words with him except for the fact that there were Thai officials standing there and I didn't want to embarrass my fellow countrymen in front of the Thais.

Latter that day I received a free copy of "expat news" from someone and a VFW member dressed in black with a radio came over to our table and said "I'm American by birth and American by choice" yeah so? What bothered me was he was 1 inch from my face spewing spit while saying it, 2 Thai MP's were sitting behind us and stood up to see what was going on, the man gave them a rude look and moved on. If the VFW has anything ever to do with the 4th of July celebration again I surely will not go and according to all 6 of my American friends that were with us they will not go either. I am inclined to write a letter to the US Consulate to let them know how they are being represented.

That's absolutely disgusting. Fortunately that was not said about my one year old when we came in or there definitely would have been words. I would certainly send a message to the US Consulate about what occurred. Outrageous.

What the beer cost the VFW, from the American commissary in Bkk (in USD):

WICKED ALE BTL PETES 12 OZ 1.69

SAMUEL ADAM LAGER SAMUEL ADAM 12 OZ 1.70

So they made some money on the beer. As well they should have. It was good to have it. If I might make a suggestion for next year, Sierra Nevada.

I could make more recommendations but something simple would be nice. Pete's Wicked is a good beer but not one of the best. But I would drink Pete's in a second.

Ooh, baseball! Now that's one of those "constructive criticisms" that the organizers should take to heart for next year. There is certainly the space for game or two at the new venue. I expect many of those kids have never seen a baseball game. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to play baseball, I just want to watch a game. It's one of the few sports where spectators can have a conversation with friends, eat, drink and still follow all the action. Yes, I know you can do that with cricket too, but I'm an American and I don't really want to learn about a new sport at this stage of life.

Basically, a great idea. But I would suggest softball, not baseball. Softball is quite doable and features the same sort of spectator/participant fun.

What the beer cost the VFW, from the American commissary in Bkk (in USD):

WICKED ALE BTL PETES 12 OZ 1.69

SAMUEL ADAM LAGER SAMUEL ADAM 12 OZ 1.70

So they made some money on the beer. As well they should have. .

I take it that audited accounts for this event will be made available, so there should be no concerns.

Regards