Dehumidifier For Home

Swelters

Air conditioning is a somewhat effective but not especially good (comfortable, healthy or energy efficient) way to dehumidify air and since dehumidification is 80 percent of what is wanted here in Bangkok at this time of year, especially at night, I would like to team up a low-powered air conditioner with a dehumidifier to try to get a more optimum sleeping environment. (I'm convinced that the recent two episodes of 80+ percent humidity in Bangkok(starting May 28 and June 30 respectively) have caused some serious respiratory problems).

The Thai do not usually recognize "humidity" as a separate issue from "heat" and almost all advice on air conditioners leads to oversizing which is worse than no air conditioning at all at this time of year--if you live here you've probably noticed the recent episodes of "clammy" air in shopping centers and even the hospital.

So, where do they hide the dehumidifiers? Carfou and the usual big stores don't know what you are talking about. (kleung bplup ahgad). Whats needed is a nice Japanese or American model, maybe 40 pints, cost maybe 10,000 baht. Anyone know where to buy?

Swelters

• 5 weeks later...
Air conditioning is a somewhat effective but not especially good (comfortable, healthy or energy efficient) way to dehumidify air and since dehumidification is 80 percent of what is wanted here in Bangkok at this time of year, especially at night, I would like to team up a low-powered air conditioner with a dehumidifier to try to get a more optimum sleeping environment. (I'm convinced that the recent two episodes of 80+ percent humidity in Bangkok(starting May 28 and June 30 respectively) have caused some serious respiratory problems).

The Thai do not usually recognize "humidity" as a separate issue from "heat" and almost all advice on air conditioners leads to oversizing which is worse than no air conditioning at all at this time of year--if you live here you've probably noticed the recent episodes of "clammy" air in shopping centers and even the hospital.

So, where do they hide the dehumidifiers? Carfou and the usual big stores don't know what you are talking about. (kleung bplup ahgad). Whats needed is a nice Japanese or American model, maybe 40 pints, cost maybe 10,000 baht. Anyone know where to buy?

Swelters

I, too, am looking for a high-end dehumidifier.

I had one of the worst nights of my life tonight with the humidity. I almost couldn't take it anymore.

I don't care what the cost is. I'm really serious. I need one that kicks ass - and I need it fast. I don't think I could live through another night like tonight.

Help pls!

Buy an undersized air conditioner. It works exactly the same as a dehumidifier with the benefit of some cooling. Many air conditioners are over sized and the compressor doesn't run long enough to remove moisture from the air. The result is a damp cold that is NOT comfortable.

เครื่องลดความชื้น (kruang roht kwaam chuun) is it in Thai portable roht, fixed (doot), Google it and you will find pics, but I have yet to find prices or pin a manufacturer. One that comes up is http://www.modernkool.com/, lets know how you get on, I never followed through on it, but still feel I should.

Oz

Have never seen for sale here - they do not work well without air conditioner (just too hot to close room - which is required for them to work). They also require a good deal of maintance (remove water and keep mold/mildew in check) so expect a lot less healthy than a little extra moisture in the air. Smaller air-conditioners are highly effective. Most also offer dry function (that nobody ever uses but might help if we learned how).

All of our a/c units (not underpowered for the rooms) also work as dehumidifiers by merely changing the mode to the droplet of water. A/c units do dehumidify some on the a/c setting, but when the issue is more humidity than temperature, say on a muggy but not too warm evening, the a/c kicks off before the room is comfortably dry. That's when the dehumidify setting does the trick.

Edited by cathyy
  • Like 1

Swelters

For the long term, A/C is not terribly healthy for you. Some, I understand, have difficulty with high humidity accompanying with tropical heat. The only way to 'combat' such perceived ailments is to acclimatize or relocate to a climate more to your liking......

All of our a/c units (not underpowered for the rooms) also work as dehumidifiers by merely changing the mode to the droplet of water. A/c units do dehumidify some on the a/c setting, but when the issue is more humidity than temperature, say on a muggy but not too warm evening, the a/c kicks off before the room is comfortably dry. That's when the dehumidify setting does the trick.

Mine also have the dehumidify mode which I use on those very humid days.

• 1 month later...

Any updates where we can buy dehumidifiers? I can't use an airconditioner since I will use it to keep valuables dry and free of mold. If you use an airconditioner, and then turn it off, water will condense as droplets on surfaces and make the objects wet and this actually makes the mold problem worse.

I have also looked for dehumidifiers over the years but unsuccessfully, most Thai's seem not to understand what they are. My solution for solving the mold problem on clothes and the like is to buy small plastic boxes of a chemical pellets which when the box is unsealed and placed in a closet, remove the water from the air and capture it in the lower part of the box. The boxes last about one month in a small closet before they must be replaced and are sold in the likes of Carrefour in the section that has deodorizers and kitchen cleansers - plastic boxes with pink or purple tops cost around 45 baht each and work well, apologies that I cannot recall the Thai name for them.

An alternative to the above is to place a low voltage black light in the bottom of the closet since this will kill the bacteria and mold - thus far have been unable to find black lights in Thailand!

An alternative to the above is to place a low voltage black light in the bottom of the closet since this will kill the bacteria and mold - thus far have been unable to find black lights in Thailand!

I've seen in Home Pro at the Mall in Korat so check HP in your area if you have one. Located in electrical area with all the other bulbs.

I’ve bought small Black lights at Fortune in Bangkok. They’re used for checking banknotes. They’re about 30 cm long, complete with holder and cable. The shop selling them was one of those selling cheap electrical bits and pieces.

Upcountry I’ve found the black light tubes that fit in Mosq Eraser mossie traps at small electrical shops.

I have also looked for dehumidifiers over the years but unsuccessfully, most Thai's seem not to understand what they are. My solution for solving the mold problem on clothes and the like is to buy small plastic boxes of a chemical pellets which when the box is unsealed and placed in a closet, remove the water from the air and capture it in the lower part of the box. The boxes last about one month in a small closet before they must be replaced and are sold in the likes of Carrefour in the section that has deodorizers and kitchen cleansers - plastic boxes with pink or purple tops cost around 45 baht each and work well, apologies that I cannot recall the Thai name for them.

Are the "chemical pellets" dark bluish in color, that turns purple, and then pink after absorbing the moisture? If so, they are probably silica gel. If they are, you can re-use them by putting them in an oven to dry out the moisture which makes them dark bluish again.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Buy an undersized air conditioner. It works exactly the same as a dehumidifier with the benefit of some cooling. Many air conditioners are over sized and the compressor doesn't run long enough to remove moisture from the air. The result is a damp cold that is NOT comfortable.

Good advice in my experience. For the record (I am OP) I found and bought a dehumidifier, teamed it with my undersized aircon, and it provided almost zero improvement. My room is leaky, humidity seems to infiltrate even fast than heat.

Any updates where we can buy dehumidifiers? I can't use an airconditioner since I will use it to keep valuables dry and free of mold. If you use an airconditioner, and then turn it off, water will condense as droplets on surfaces and make the objects wet and this actually makes the mold problem worse.

what none of you technical 'exburts' -no offence meant :lol: - seem to know is that a dehumidifier works exactly like an airconditioner. the only difference is that most dehumidifiers blow the dried but warm/hot air into the room. those units which don't are even more inefficient because the exhausted air will be replaced with humid outside air.

summary: forget dehumidifiers in tropical countries. period!

what none of you technical 'exburts' -no offence meant :lol: - seem to know is that a dehumidifier works exactly like an airconditioner. the only difference is that most dehumidifiers blow the dried but warm/hot air into the room. those units which don't are even more inefficient because the exhausted air will be replaced with humid outside air.

What you as a non-expert with imputed broader wisdom don't understand is that dehumidification is often accomplished by overcooling air below the comfort level and then reheating it to comfort level. This sounds inefficient to you but this is only partially true because there is usually provision for heat exchange between the front and back end of the process. This is why my failed experience with the dehumidifier is more likely due to leakage of outside area into the cooled space.

That having been said, I would hesitate to recommend a DIY dehumidifier supplement in the tropics without proof that it accomplishes what is required.

swelters

What you as a non-expert with imputed broader wisdom don't understand is that dehumidification is often accomplished by overcooling air below the comfort level and then reheating it to comfort level. This sounds inefficient to you but this is only partially true because there is usually provision for heat exchange between the front and back end of the process. This is why my failed experience with the dehumidifier is more likely due to leakage of outside area into the cooled space.

That having been said, I would hesitate to recommend a DIY dehumidifier supplement in the tropics without proof that it accomplishes what is required.

swelters

my dear expert,

a dehumidifier does not reheat but overheats the air in an enclosed room because every single watt electricity input (compressor and fan unit) is converted into heat without any loss. no such thing like "reheating to comfort level" in a tropical country. that was my reference concerning "inefficiency".

the laws of physics can't be bent and those who don't like for any reason aircons won't like dehumidifiers.

As Naam says, a dehumidifier works exactly like an air conditioner. The difference being that an air conditioner releases the condensation and heat outside the room while the dehumidifier collects the water and releases the heat back into the room. A dehumidifier is a terrible idea if used in a hot and humid climate.

A friend here was looking for a swamp cooler. A swamp cooler circulates air through a porous type of sponge and cools the air because of evaporation of the water. He vigorously argued with me because I told him it was a very bad idea and wouldn't work here. Fortunately for him, he didn't find one to prove me correct.

I DID use a dehumidifier when living in Ohio, USA. My basement was always cool and very damp. It collected water and the water went into a sump while the warm air was released into the cool basement. That is what dehumidifiers are designed for.

A friend here was looking for a swamp cooler. A swamp cooler circulates air through a porous type of sponge and cools the air because of evaporation of the water. He vigorously argued with me because I told him it was a very bad idea and wouldn't work here. Fortunately for him, he didn't find one to prove me correct.

his idea was not that bad Gary. a swamp cooler would have been the perfect gadget to turn the inside of his home into a swamp.

:ph34r:

The building that I work in has a poorly designed chilled water air conditioning system. It turns the rooms into cold wet basements. We purchased several dehumidifiers and they helped warm and dehumidify the place, but what a waste of electricity!

these kind of stories should be presented on april 1st only. now it's october. :whistling:

• 7 months later...

I thought about a dehumidifier but could not find one in Krabi. I live in a bamboo house on columns so you can see through the floor boards to below. Dampness due to humidity is causing major problems in the bedroom with damp clothes, bedding, mattress and furniture. I now plan to install air-con but am concerned about the elec bill but mainly the waste of energy through the floor boards.

Any advice welcome

Mine also have the dehumidify mode which I use on those very humid days.

I too used to have a model that could be set on a/c or dehumidify....better nights sleep when on dehumidify too,although it felt damned freezing at times

I searched for months to get one and bottom line, not made or sold here. However some models of a/c have a dehumidify-only option. My Daikins do.

Its a shame. Years ago I lived in Bangladesh which is if anything more humid than here and we had them, bad a huge difference. One did have to keep emptying the water out of the collection tray. I recall a single room would yield about 4 L of water in a day.

But did you have a/c in Bangladesh? I also lived there for several years and indeed such units were in use and the mold growth inside them was something to behold. Not at all sure how healthy they were and in rooms with a/c did not notice any improvement so did not bother to keep them running, but am sure they would make a noticeable difference without the a/c.

But for above poster with open home suspect it would be a lost cause. Fans and good cross ventilation are likely the best investment. And that probably would be removal of any screens if windows have them. Perhaps a cement covering below house would be in order if not already done as would also serve as a great day room area.

But did you have a/c in Bangladesh? I also lived there for several years and indeed such units were in use and the mold growth inside them was something to behold. Not at all sure how healthy they were and in rooms with a/c did not notice any improvement so did not bother to keep them running, but am sure they would make a noticeable difference without the a/c.

But for above poster with open home suspect it would be a lost cause. Fans and good cross ventilation are likely the best investment. And that probably would be removal of any screens if windows have them. Perhaps a cement covering below house would be in order if not already done as would also serve as a great day room area.

Mould growth?, used to have trees growing out of my leather sandals at times,4 months of solid rain,night and day,the only thing that kept me sane ( I think ) was the dehumidifier