Learning Thai In The Netherlands.

Datsun240Z

Since I'm here now, what's the best way to study and learn Thai language by myself? Do you people recommend me some book to order or a program on the pc? What's the best way?

I feel learning Thai, will solve alot of problems.

Thnx :)

Hoi, a Dutch man who speaks Thai fluently recommended me books written by...M...( a Dutch writer) I forgot, but I will ask again.

He first learned Thai with books from an English writer/educator, but he said that pronunciation with an English tongue is different than with a Dutch tongue.

Hoi, a Dutch man who speaks Thai fluently recommended me books written by...M...( a Dutch writer) I forgot, but I will ask again.

He first learned Thai with books from an English writer/educator, but he said that pronunciation with an English tongue is different than with a Dutch tongue.

About the tongue can be true yeah :) Thnx! Would be nice, I can then order the book.

Studying Thai by yourself, outside Thailand, without any help of somebody that can speak the language is extremely difficult. Books and CDs can teach you how to write, but they'll not correct your pronounciation.

There are not many books in Dutch about Thai language, so if you can read English I would go for the English books. You better ignore all phonetic script in there because many of the phonetic scripts are designed for native English speakers.

The books of Thaibel are in Dutch but they are missing tone marks (www.thaibel.be)

There's an assimil about Thai in Dutch which is not too bad.

There's my website, which is in Dutch, but it's for advanced learners (PM me for the URL).

There are Thai<->Dutch dictionaries (L.J.M. van Moergestel) ... but they have an extremely low quality compared to the Thai-English dictionaries.

I would try to get help of a Thai. You can go to a Thai restaurant (in Nijmegen: http://www.baanisaan.nl/) and ask if they know any Thai teacher. In the restaurant you can also ask were the closest Thai temple is. There's one in Waalwijk ( http://www.thaiways.com/buddhism/temples/buddharama/ ) and in Landsmeer ( http://www.watbuddhavihara.nl ) , but probably there are others. Some temples organise courses or they can help you to find somebody that wants to teach.

You better look for somebody with a degree that can speak and write central Thai, because many Thai living in Europe are uneducated and some can't even write.

Edited by kriswillems

Since I'm here now, what's the best way to study and learn Thai language by myself? Do you people recommend me some book to order or a program on the pc? What's the best way?

I feel learning Thai, will solve alot of problems.

Thnx :)

Found this site to be very helpful in learning the basic language and you can test pronunciation.

Hope it helps.

learningthai.com/useful_phrases.html

• 2 months later...

It is very true that it is hard to learn Thai without a teacher just using books and tapes. :)

Perhaps Walen online course would be of interest. We use our regular classroom teachers so these are not just Thai who speak Thai and it is done using Skype, quality is fantastic. Also direct method is perfect for online learning.

Walen School - Teaching online wherever you are!

www.thaiwalen.com