Buying Property Whats The Best Thing In This Situation?

skinnygoat

ok this is how it is, im married to a thai girl who is great we get on 100% and i trust her 100% . now my father wants to buy some property for us like a guesthouse so we have an income. he wants to make sure that in the future she will not leave me and run off with the cash.

ive thought that maybe the best way to do this would be to buy it in her name and then get her to sell it as a lease to my father like a 30 year one.

do you think this direction is the best or is there another way around it??

any help many thanks!!

:)

ok this is how it is, im married to a thai girl who is great we get on 100% and i trust her 100% . now my father wants to buy some property for us like a guesthouse so we have an income. he wants to make sure that in the future she will not leave me and run off with the cash.

ive thought that maybe the best way to do this would be to buy it in her name and then get her to sell it as a lease to my father like a 30 year one.

any help many thanks!!

No, no, no, no, no, no...

any help many thanks!!

It's a windup right!?

Regards Bojo

Honestly mate, I would not put anything in anyone's name unless you have been with them for a very long time. It just is not good business sense, not even with your wife.

Look into getting a lease, you can get 30 year ones which have an option of 2 x 30 years, that is 90 years. If you are thinking about investment for the future I would buy condos, Or you could invest in the stock market.

If you just want to make a guest house but are not considering any of your children to follow into the business then lease the land.

Edited by bravingbangkok

I would like to add that putting the name of your home and putting the name of where you make your money is two totally different things. If you really have to, lease the land and make a business in your name for a guest house/resort and then buy a small patch of land next to or near to build a home. That way if anything goes wrong you still have the money making part. If I were you I would not even do this but hey it's up to you buddy and I have no clue about who or how she is.

Good luck ! :)

Edited by bravingbangkok

• 2 months later...

This is an area I've been looking into the ins and outs of.

My ratiocinations upon this subject have led me to the following conclusions:

- When you "buy land" in Thailand, you are effectively permanently deleting part of your savings.

- If you (can) get a mortgage in Thailand, you are effectively chronically deleting part of your income.

- If you get a legal lease on someone's land (not necessarily the land you buy her), then you might effectively be paying lower rent than "back home".

- If you want to hand over your scrotum to be kept in a pickling jar on a shelf in your punraya's vampire vault by "investing in your future together", then you better make sure that you make her dependant on you for something she wants, e.g.: a pension for the parents; funding for her education; school fees for your children with her; private healthcare for the family, but in your name, etc... you have to, i'm afraid, be somewhat cynical, and lock her in so that you have leverage. Essentially, you can't win, unless you've got her locked in somehow. By throwing your cash into Thai land ownership you are exposing yourself to catastrophe; but you can mitigate against it strategically, by ensuring that "she" has a lot to lose if she wants to play silly buggers.

(She won't need to run, btw, she can just call the local bobby and have you removed from *her* land... reflect on that!).

Incidentally, I think this applies to dealings with all women of all nationalities and ethnicities... if you're going to get legally and financially tied up (which is what marriage is all about) in any country, you do yourself a massive favour by taking the lovey-dovey helmet off, and making sure you are "insured" against malice.

However nice she is, I think it's sensible to remind oneself that no-one is perfect, and the future is always uncertain.

Personally, my attitude is currently one of: "as long as I'm paying less (e.g. per month) than I would in rent/mortgage interest in my own country for my accommodation in Thailand, then I'll consider it".

In direct response to the OP... would you do this in your own country?

Have you already run a "guest house" before in Thailand? What kind of "income" do you expect to get? Does this investment form part of your pension plan out of interest? Will you send your half thai kids to the local thai school and deny them the education you had? health and dental insurance?

...if these questions have yet to cross your mind, then why not just sponsor some orphans or something, and rent a shack with her in the village so you can learn how to argue with her in Thai, once you explain to her that you can't persuade your daddy to gift her some land?

any help many thanks!!

Most people leave their brain at the airport when they come to thaland, sorry but yoy too !!

how you can say that you trust your thai girl 100% , never forget its all about money in thailand

how long you know your wife , one month one year ??

time will tell what you have to do in thailand whait 5 years more , live in thailand , then you can make your decision about money invest in thailand

From my own experience in this matter and considering your own situation:

- Lease the land for your guesthouse in your name only, (foreigners can rent land without any Thai party).

- Register the lease at the local government land office, - you will be given the original Chanote land document for safe-keeping

- There is no such thing as a 30+30 or 30+30+30 year lease. Utter rubbish. Thai law only allows for a maximum of 30 years on a lease or your lifetime on a usufruct. Any contract that talks about extending the lease for another 30 years is drivel - it will only happen IF the landlord wants it to happen, not if you do.

- Register a Thai ltd company to manage the guesthouse. That Thai company could consist of all foreign shareholders because managing a hotel is one area in the Foreign Business Act which is open to foreigners. However, the definition of what constitutes a guesthouse and what constitutes a hotel are different, (number of rooms etc), and a hotel classification entails more taxes and paperwork. Better to register the Thai company with your GF as a 51% shareholder, another Thai as a 10% shareholder and you with 39% shareholding - AND with the company voting configured so that you control the business via preferential voting rights.

If everything turns sour, remember that you have rented the land, not your GF. You can throw her off your rented land and seize whatever buildings are on that land, = your guesthouse.

The above all sounds as if the business should be structured so that you do not lose out if your GF and you part ways. That is the case because it happens many times :) If you both get on fine, then all well and good.

Simon

The way I see it is if everyone thinks their Thai wife is going to run off with their money,why get married?

Yes, things can happen later on in life but if you constantly worry about this you will never live your life.

Life is all about taking risks. Why is your father worrying about it? Are you?

I hope it works out for you.

About half of our property holdings are in my wife's name. The other half are in mine. Balance. The issue with Thai-foreign relationships the balance is often with the Thai side holding the legal power and the foreign side only having the significantly weaker forces of ego and whining loudly about stuff on their side. It's not surprising that if the thin fragile cartilage like substance called love gives way, who loses out in the end. If love gives away in a Thai-Thai relationship, and let's be honest, many relationships do no matter where they are located, it often continues (often for the sake of the children) because the mother and father both wield significant power in the house. In the Thai-foreign household, if the foreigner loses his income earning ability or does something silly like impregnate the maid,... look out, they risk eviction to the rented doghouse.

Edited by Heng

The way I see it is if everyone thinks their Thai wife is going to run off with their money,why get married?

They have read too many tales of woe on internet forums, they may not all be true stories, but they certainly worry a lot of paranoid Farangs. :)

OP: There is a wealth of knowledge in prior threads in Thaivisa (refer property forum in particular) about the different methods of holding an interest in Thai land, and the respective advantages and disadvantages of each. You need to spend plenty of time now reading them to get to a point where you can make a plan and probably get some professional advice

Yes, things can happen later on in life but if you constantly worry about this you will never live your life.

The whole purpose in doing your homework and putting in place sensible legal precautions is so that you "don't have to worry about this" and can go ahead and "live your life"

Life is all about taking risks. Why is your father worrying about it? Are you?

Life (for thinking people) is about plotting a course and taking calculated risks. I can only assume that the romantic dreamers here have never had friends/family/etc who never set a foot wrong in their marriage only to then get well and truly gutted in a divorce settlement they never saw coming

Good question.

Personally I'd describe this tiresome quip a little differently ...

cliché

1.a trite, stereotyped expression; a sentence or phrase, usually expressing a popular or common thought or idea, that has lost originality, ingenuity, and impact by long overuse, as sadder but wiser, or strong as an ox.

2.(in art, literature, drama, etc.) a trite or hackneyed plot, character development, use of color, musical expression, etc.

3.anything that has become trite or commonplace through overuse.

Sure, boundless paranoia marks one end of the spectrum - but this grin and bend over approach marks the other. Many, many relationships end badly - Thai/farang included - and at least considering that possibility and having a contingency plan is just good old-fashion common sense.

Edited by chiangmaibruce