Non-immigrant O Visa 90 Day Stamps

I'm an Aussie holding a 12 month non-immigrant (multi entry) O visa by virtue of marriage to a Thai national. I am midway through on my third 12 month cycle (expires March 2010).

I of course need to make my visit to my local Immigration Dept office every 90 days to get my passport stamped unless I leave the country and return in the meantime. I have left and returned to Thailand so regularly in recent times that it is ages since I have needed to visit the Immigration boys for my stamp - until now! ... and I forgot to do it.

My 90 days ran out on June 30. This morning I made the trip into town to make my confession and cop whatever consequences await me, but of course they are closed for 3 days of holiday.

My questions are:

1. What are the likely consequences of my failure to get the stamp on time, and

2. Could I remedy (or short-circuit) the problem by doing a border run? That's only 94km away.

Thanks for any advice given.

Edited by Iamemjay

I'm a little confused as to what you have but I'll assume you have an extension of stay based on your marriage (issued by immigration in Thailand). Note that if you have a VISA issued by a consulate/embassy you have a whole different set of issues.

Your 90 day report is OK 7 days either side of the due date so no problem going up to the 7th. Since the 7th and 8th are holidays go on the 9th with a suitable amount of humilty and you'll likely be fine, the worst you can expect is a fine for being late (2000Baht or so IIRC).

I of course need to make my visit to my local Immigration Dept office every 90 days to get my passport stamped...

What stamp does the immigration office put in your passport? What does the stamp say?

--

Maestro

I have left and returned to Thailand so regularly in recent times that it is ages since I have needed to visit the Immigration boys for my stamp - until now! ... and I forgot to do it.

I think here is the answer. The OP is on overstay right now, and is not aware that he can not get a 90 days extension of stay at a local IMM office because he never tried it.

Since he has a multi IMM-O he should have left LOS on or before 30June and returned in order to get a new 90 days permit to stay stamp.

opalhort

I think here is the answer. The OP is on overstay right now, and is not aware that he can not get a 90 days extension of stay at a local IMM office because he never tried it...

Apparently, he is not new to multiple-entry non-O visas:

I'm an Aussie holding a 12 month non-immigrant (multi entry) O visa by virtue of marriage to a Thai national. I am midway through on my third 12 month cycle (expires March 2010)

I of course need to make my visit to my local Immigration Dept office every 90 days to get my passport stamped unless I leave the country and return in the meantime...

He uses confusing terminology. With a multiple-entry non-O he does not go to the local immigration office every 90 days to get his passport stamped.

With annual extensions, he goes to the immigration office to report his address, if he does not mail the report, but as far as I know he gets no stamp in his passport for this.

--

Maestro

There is no stamp in the PP for the 90 days address report.

If I understand the OP correctly I think he should do a border run ASAP, pay the overstay fine (B500/day) and re-enter on a new 90 day entry permit to stay stamp since he has a multiple Non-Imm visa still valid until 03.2010

My guess is that since the OP has been travelling frequently he always got a 90 days permit to stay stamp and he is not aware that this can not be renewed inside LOS.

opalhort

Edited by opalhort

Thanks for all that. By the way Opalhort your assumption that I you have an extension of stay based on my marriage (issued by immigration in Thailand) is correct.

(Maestro - "With a multiple-entry non-O he does not go to the local immigration office every 90 days to get his passport stamped.")

Maestro's reply is off the mark. I do have to go to the local Amphur immigration office every 90 days, except when I go out and re-enter the country, which "buys" me another 90 days from the date of re-entry. They do not stamp inside the passport - they attach a slip giving me another 90 days extension of stay inside the back cover of the PP. They simply remove any old one and insert a new, duly stamped slip - only a 5 min. job, but a nuisance regardless given it is a 40km round trip for the bureaucratic exercise.

I'm still debating whether to do a border run or to take Opalhort's advice - probably the latter, because that way I'll at least be dealing with officials who I know and who know me (and I'll resist the temptation to produce a bottle of whisky which I know would do the necessary trick.).

I believe that what you mean is 90 days report, not extension.

I am holding 1 year non-imm-O visa also, and every 90 days I have to go to the immigration to report (my existence and my current address).

You don't need to do a border run.

If you are late within 1 week, they usually forgive it. But if you late more than that, you have to pay for a fine 200 baht per day, maximum 2000 baht.

I have once late for 3 weeks (forgot), which cost me 2000 baht.

Thanks for all that. By the way Opalhort your assumption that I you have an extension of stay based on my marriage (issued by immigration in Thailand) is correct.

(Maestro - "With a multiple-entry non-O he does not go to the local immigration office every 90 days to get his passport stamped.")

Maestro's reply is off the mark. I do have to go to the local Amphur immigration office every 90 days, except when I go out and re-enter the country, which "buys" me another 90 days from the date of re-entry. They do not stamp inside the passport - they attach a slip giving me another 90 days extension of stay inside the back cover of the PP. They simply remove any old one and insert a new, duly stamped slip - only a 5 min. job, but a nuisance regardless given it is a 40km round trip for the bureaucratic exercise.

I'm still debating whether to do a border run or to take Opalhort's advice - probably the latter, because that way I'll at least be dealing with officials who I know and who know me (and I'll resist the temptation to produce a bottle of whisky which I know would do the necessary trick.).

You are confusing terminology.

If you have a multiple-entry VISA (which is obtained at an embassy or consulate outside Thailand) then you cannot just go to immigration, you MUST do a border hop every 90 days.

If you have an EXTENSION (which it now seems you do) then you simply report your address every 90 days. My previous note (post #2) stating that you're likely OK holds :)

name='ungu' date='2009-07-07 07:49:28' post='2855032']

I believe that what you mean is 90 days report, not extension.

I am holding 1 year non-imm-O visa also, and every 90 days I have to go to the immigration to report (my existence and my current address).

You do not have a 1 Year Non O Visa. You have a 12 month extension of your permission to stay. Your Visa died long ago.

Maestro's reply is off the mark.

Maestro's post is correct.

With a one year extension of stay you report your address to Immigration every 90 days. Either in person or by post.

With a Multi Entry Visa you have to leave the country and return at least every 90 days.

OK. Sorry guys - there appear to be some problems with my terminology. Yes, I have to REPORT to the Amphur Immigration office every 90 days. My confusion is based on the wording on the slip they attach to my PP. It says that I have "been granted permission to stay in the kingdom until (my next due date (90 days))" Also I never once have been asked my current address other than when I had to produce the residency certificate, so I had no idea that this was an address check.

I have a multi-entry stamp in my PP but, Lite Beer, I don't HAVE to leave the country at least every 3 months. If I don't leave the country, I just have to report to the Amphur Immigration office instead.

Thankyou Ungu - your advice makes perfect sense. Hopefully the 3 days' holidays will help me avoid a fine.

Also I never once have been asked my current address other than when I had to produce the residency certificate, so I had no idea that this was an address check.

The 90 days report is simply "Notification of a foreigner staying in Thailand for more than 90 days"

That is why it is not necessary if you leave the country within the 90 day period.

It is not reporting or confirming your address.

Why so many people think that it is an address report, I do not know.

Edited by loong

I think it would help if the OP could scan the "visa / extension of stay / report slip" and post it here.

Question to OP: when you do your reporting to IMM, do you file the Form TM.47 or any other form?

If TM.47 as I now think it is then it is an address report since the current address has to be stated.

""been granted permission to stay in the kingdom until (my next due date (90 days))""

This statement seems strange though. It should say something like report again on..date..

In BKK they clearly stamp the slip with "This is not an extension of stay"

opalhort

Just reporting back. Ungu's and loong's advice was spot on (phew!!). There really was no issue with the guys - they accepted my lateness and actually backdated the paperwork - no question of a fine.

There was however, debate as to the date I should have been reporting. My previous stamped slip in the back of my PP said June 14, but I arrived back in the country on March 31, so I argued that it should have been 90 days from that date - clearly they were confused and for safety sake dated everything June 14 (I was there on July 9).

Opalhort - yes I did fill in a very simple and standard request for an extension of stay form (have no idea of it's number) which did ask my current address - but there was no attempt to verify this (I had my wife's house book, but they didn't want it). The slip they stapled in, I would suggest may vary slightly between offices because it is clearly locally, not centrally produced. Mine only gives my name and the date applicable to the extension of stay and they stamp it.

Clearly in this office (Fang) at least, they were rather relaxed about the process (maybe because they now know me well, but I don't think so). I also sought clarification as to my next reporting event as the new date they inserted is September 11. I will be absent from the Kingdom from September 15 until October 15, so I asked in this situation will it be necessary for me to report in. They checked the dates, laughed and replied "mai bhen rai". :)