Electronic Transmission Of Documents

tutsiwarrior

the wife is going back to LOS to arrange to have two of the nieces come to stay with us (presently in Bahrain) during their school holidays next month. Our house in Suphanburi is presently locked up with the fax machine boxed up and telephone line shut off. The wife will have to transmit copies of the girls' passports to me in Bahrain to arrange visit visas for them. Where we live in Suphanburi some people have fax machines available but most often without an international telephone connection. Plus the image quality of a fax sometimes is not acceptable to the immigration people here. So, I figure scanning the passports onto a diskette (a scanner is available at the local school) then going to the local internet shop and attaching the resulting pdf files to an email.

Anyone have any other ideas? We're talking simple stuff here but when resources are thin on the ground like an international telephone line things can get complicated.

the wife is going back to LOS to arrange to have two of the nieces come to stay with us (presently in Bahrain) during their school holidays next month. Our house in Suphanburi is presently locked up with the fax machine boxed up and telephone line shut off. The wife will have to transmit copies of the girls' passports to me in Bahrain to arrange visit visas for them. Where we live in Suphanburi some people have fax machines available but most often without an international telephone connection. Plus the image quality of a fax sometimes is not acceptable to the immigration people here. So, I figure scanning the passports onto a diskette (a scanner is available at the local school) then going to the local internet shop and attaching the resulting pdf files to an email.

Anyone have any other ideas? We're talking simple stuff here but when resources are thin on the ground like an international telephone line things can get complicated.

can you take a digital photograph of them? get that e-mailed over or put in a yahoo photo album then you can print with good clarity in colour or black and white as most digital cameras will take pics in either. no problems with clarity and you can retrieve from any internet shop

Edited by toastwars

yep, just scan them, and then convert to JPEG using photoshop to reduce the size to something manageable, and then on to a floppy or a CD and email. Make sure the email service you use will accept attachements of that size, and has space free. Gmail and others allow 1 gig mailboxes, and 10 MB attachments which is plenty

we just bought a Canon 'super shot' digital camera for the wife to take on her trip. If she was to shoot the passports then transfer the images to computer to attach them to an email, the receiving computer would need to have the Canon OEM software loaded to handle the task? Or is there generic software that most internet shops would like have available for this purpose?

Scanning will give you a jpg image. Setting around 300dpi.

I use Open Office to paste the document and then save it as a pdf, for

attachment to an e-mail.

You can also paste in a signature if the document requires it.

The company sent me letter of introduction to the Indian Embassy in

this way. I just printed it off and they accepted it without question.

One point. Some countries do not accept colour scans of passports.

Must be Black and White, presumably to reduce to risk of use in a

fradulent way. The UK is very fussy on this matter.

She can shoot it in the lowest resolution and send (will still be much better than fax). Most net cafe would probably have a card reader that can be used to download image and email to send to you. If not any photo shop can put image onto a floppy or cd for her. Just make sure she is using a removable storage card - some cameras now come with a very limited built in memory and that would require download cable and software to recognize it.

Any computer will likely have a few program to open 'jpg' image and be able to print it. No need for Canon software anywhere in process.

we transfer documents by email on a daily basis....

scaned greyscale A4 documents are hardly 50 to 150 kb per page in jpeg format...

nowdays many internet cafes have scanners....you can just ask them to scan and mail the documents...

i dont understand the need to go to the complication of shooting the document by a camera when tutsiwarrior already mentioned he has access to a scanner.

when scanning make sure to use greyscale/document mode and resolution around 150 dpi.