Live Rugby League

By chance I happened across a televised "Elite and Touch Men's Final" from Australia and New Zealand.

It's not the same, though...

SC

"Elite and Touch Men's Final" ... might draw a wider audience ... Jing's Thing might like it ... w00t.gif

A home win for St Helens over Wigan makes for a nail-biting finish at the top of the table, with Wigan ahead on points difference of Warrington, but both teams trail Huddersfield by a single point.

Further down the table, St Helens look confident for the play-offs in seventh place, ahead of Hull FC in eighth; Hull, though, must be looking over their shoulders nervously as they are a single point ahead of Wakefield, who have a game in hand; though how much that is worth is doubtful, when the tie in question is against perennial champions Leeds, on Friday night.

SC

It's semi-final weekend, though Wakefield have a catch-up game against Leeds this evening - I'll not be staying up for that - it's a 8 pm kick-off.

I will try to catch Wigan v London from Leigh Sports Village on Saturday, though, and I might try to take a virtual trip over the Pennines to the land of colour - Huddersfield, and the John Smiths Traditional Yorkshire Squares Stadium for Warrington v Hull.

The first semi-final's not live on Astro - I expect it may be a little bit one-sided... The Warrington Hull game will be live on Astro, though.

SC

Welcome to Leigh Sports Village, where Wigan take on London Broncos. Contrary to my earlier prediction, Wigan have had their breakfast and changed out of their pyjamas into their usual cherry and white hoops. London wearing pastel-blue shirts.

Elsewhere, in another code, Livingston have equalised against Berwick Rangers south of the border, while at the national stadium, Ayr have taken the lead over Queen's Park.

In the sixth minute, London get a penalty in the Wigan half for their first attacking position.

A penalty for ripping, and Daryl Goulding skips through the the tulips to score for Wigan, and Pat Richards makes it 6-0.

Pat Richards misses a shot at goal, but Wigan attack again. London counter-attack, but the error count is against them, and the penalty account.

Jamie Soward fields a high kick and he's thumped behind his own goal line for a drop out from under the posts, and if London start to tire, this is going to get very messy indeed. And as I type this, big Lee Mossop charges over for Wigan's second try.

And in the 24th minute, Sam Tomkins jinks his way through the London defence to score Wigan's third.

And Green scores the fourth. if it carries on like this much longer, the game could be out of London's reach... 24 - 0 to Wigan.

Edited by StreetCowboy

And in the 24th minute, Sam Tomkins jinks his way through the London defence to score Wigan's third.

And Green scores the fourth. if it carries on like this much longer, the game could be out of London's reach... 24 - 0 to Wigan.

O'Loughlin shrugs off a couple of tackles and puts Josh Charnley free on the wing to score in the corner Wigan 34 - 0 ahead with four minutes to go in the first half., but Wigan knock on from the kick-off.

In the first five minutes of the second half, a knock on and then a penalty gives wigan an attacking position 10 metres away from the London line, but a knock-on ends the attack. Wigan are not playing outstandingly well, they're just clearly the better team...

But at the next attack, London are unjustly penalised for a tackle on Tomkins, and Taylor scores against a tired, lacklustre and dare I say it demoralised london defence.

Edited by StreetCowboy

And as the hour goes past, London are trailing 52 - 0; you might recall that last time the teams met, in London in May, the score was 6 - 64 in Wigans favour... and Liam Farrell scores to further extend their lead. Pat Richards' kick makes it 58 - 0. And Wigan are chasing a record semi-final score, as they stretch their lead to 70 - 0, with five minutes to go.

And it looks like London must score, as they get another six tackles within the Wgan 10 metres, but they knock on as they play the ball a metre from the London line, with 90 seconds to go.

But a kick goes astray, London bring the ball back, it goes loose and that's the way the game ends, 70 - 0 highlighting the gulf between the top of the Superleague and the bottom

Tomorrow, Warrington meet Hull FC in Huddersfield, at the later time of 6 pm kick-off

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

Jamie Soward fields a high kick and he's thumped behind his own goal line for a drop out from under the posts, and if London start to tire, this is going to get very messy indeed. And as I type this, big Lee Mossop charges over for Wigan's second try.

WOW ... it but a few weeks for Jamie Soward to be running round for StGeorge in the NRL to getting hammered over there.

Lee Mossop ... any relation to the very famous Rex Mossip?

WOW ... it but a few weeks for Jamie Soward to be running round for StGeorge in the NRL to getting hammered over there.

Lee Mossop ... any relation to the very famous Rex Mossip?

Don't think so - he's a young Whitehaven lad, going to Parametta in 2014.

It was a depressing game, Phil Bentham was the wrong choice of referee - he's a Warrington lad so to avoid accusations of spite presumably he erred on the side of generosity to Wigan. Either that, or Sam Tomkins shoulders start at his navel, judging from some of the high tackle calls.

Unfortunately, the Warrington Hull game is too late at night for me with work in the morning, so I'll record it and try and watch on Monday night. It's on live on Astro; I had to watch last night's game on the internet

SC

• Like 1

I looked at the scores this morning, and I was distraught, so I was. And the worst of it was, I had to go into work and couldn't drown my sorrows till this evening.

Oh, well, time to focus on the league...

SC

I looked at the scores this morning, and I was distraught, so I was. And the worst of it was, I had to go into work and couldn't drown my sorrows till this evening.

Oh, well, time to focus on the league...

SC

I watched the recording day before yesterday, and I was sure Wire were going to score right at the end, even though I'd seen the result. It's being repeated again on the weekend, and I'd put money on a Warrington try in the 80th minute except gambling is illegal here. Wigan - Hull KR Friday night / early Saturday morning, but I'm working on Saturday, so I'll record that for later as well...

Well that's the third time I've watched the game, and again I was fully confident that Warrington would snatch it in the last minute; sure that they would score on the last play as the hooter sounded... What a great game!

SC

• Like 1

And tonight we're in Castleford with Phil Kinsella and Mike Cooper for Warrington's visit. I'm off the drink tonight, because I don't know the pubs in Castleford.

SC

The first eight minutes pass back and forth, until Stefan Ratchford knocks on from a kick, fifteen metres out. Twelve metres out. Ten metres out. Two tackles left. Chase gets to the line, but not across it. A kick for Carney and Monaghan is judged to have knocked on, and they attack from ten metres out again, but a penalty to Warrington sees the pressure relieved.

Warrington get up to the Castleford line, a kick for Trent Waterhouse but somehow Jordan Tansey hacks the ball into the crowd, and Castleford drop out from under their posts....

... and Lee Briers wriggles his way through to score first for the visitors

Huddersfield running riot at home at the former Sir Alfred McAlpine Stadium 28 - 0 against Salford.

But at Castleford Hauraki fed Carney on the wing and he scores in the corner and it's 6 - 6.

Elsewhere, still scoreless at Wakefield Bradford in the battle for 9th place

Edited by StreetCowboy

Oh my word!

Shenton has stolen the ball from and passed to Hauraki who scores! 12 - 6 to the home team at Castleford.

And Warrington give away a penalty, and then a knock-on; scrum on the half-way line.

Warrington lying third in the league, behind Huddersfield and Wigan...

And Castleford break again and Jordan Tansey scores under the posts 18 - 6 to Castleford.

And Warrington back-pedalling, Castleford on the ten metre line with four tackles to spare, pass out to Kirk Dixon from Rangi Chase, and Castleford score again Castleford 24 - 6, and Warrington have conceded 24 points in eleven minutes

And Warrington work the ball up the field, and Gareth Carvell touches the ball down, Rob Hicks is the closest to the ball and he points and whistles; there's no video referee tonight, in the absence of the television cameras, 24 - 12.

Elsewhere, Wakefield 12 - 0 up with tries for Lyne and Fox, while Huddersfield lead 34 - 0

Warrington finishing the half strongly as Lee Briers sends a penalty deep into the Cas half. Warrington 12 metres out, but Rangi Chase steals the ball from Benny Westwood.

At half-time, it's Huddersfield 34 - 4 Salford, Castleford 24 - 12 Warrington, Wakefield 12 - 10 Bradford

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Five minutes into the second half, Brad Dwyer manages to ground the ball over the Castleford line after Clarke charged down a Lee Briers kick, but Stefan Ratchford gathered the ball and burst downfield.

24 - 18.

Warrington lose the ball, but castleford are penalised for offside, and a further ten metres for dissent, a chance for Warrington, and Warrington play the ball and Richie Myler scores - I think it was Richie Myler; Stefan Ratchford kicks the conversion to level the scores at 24 apiece. And Warrington forwards are making ground up the field - and Mickey Higham has scored! Warrington take the lead for the first time; perhaps if Stefan Ratchford had been kicking last week against Hull FC, Wire would still have been in the Cup... but this week, it's 24 - 30 with three converted tries in six minutes for Warrington

Castleford attack, a penalty, they pressure the Warrington line, a kick comes off the post and Harrison gathers for Warrington. Lee Briers kicks for a 40 - 20 but the ball stays in play; the Warrington chase is good and Castleford playing from near their own line.

Castleford kicks through and Ratchford knocks on. Suddenly its all Castleford on the Warrington line. Try for Castleford! Scores are level again 30 - 30

Desperate defence by Castleford, but Warrington playing their offloading game, Paul Wood offloads to Richie Myler to Mickey Higham who scores his second try. 30 - 36! And Castleford kick the ball out on the full.

Huddersfield finish 46 - 4 up at home to Salford, while Wakefield now trail 18 - 20 against Bradford

Another offload from Paul Wood allows Joel Monaghan to stretch Warrington's lead

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

Richie Myler limps off the pitch as Castleford attack again, five metres out.

Castleford scrum...Warrington defending desperately, still five metres out. Tansey can't take it and Lee Briers picks it up and a confusion as they break. But Warrington are still charging, Castleford reform on their own goal line, the ball goes back and forth, Dwyer goes for the line, Mickey Higham tries to go over, Paul Wood loses the ball - he's done that before - and Castleford have another chance.

Castleford losing their structure as Warrington attack again. Lee Briers kicks through, Carney fields it and Mickey Higham makes the tackle.

Rangi Chase is playing on his own, trying to win the game with every play, and Warrington happy to keep the ball at the Castleford end.

And Bradford have stretched their lead to 18 - 26 at Wakefield

Castleford still trying to get out of their own half, the ball comes forward off a Warrington player, Warrington still leading 30 - 40 and that's the way the game ends, while Wakefield claw their way back, but fall short 24 - 26 second best at home to Bradford.

Edited by StreetCowboy

Looking forward, perhaps prematurely to the weekend, on the second day of Eid Al Fitr Wigan travel to league leaders, Huddersfield; that's being shown live on Astro in the small hours of Saturday morning. Later, on Saturday afternoon (that's evening for us), Warrington Wolves welcome Wakefield Wildcats to the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

A win for Warrington will see them climb to second in the league, ahead of the loser of the Friday night game at the John Smith's Yorkshire Bitter; if there's no winner or loser in that game Warrington will climb above them both to top the league... while a win for Wakefield would see the Wildcats claw their way past Bradford, for the time being at least, to sit one point behind Hull FC and the final play-off place. All being well, I hope to offer coverage of both games, and I'm hoping Ray French and Allan Rooney will join me for a pint in the Lord Rodney on the way to Winwick Road.

SC

... Warrington Wolves welcome Wakefield Wildcats

divided loyalties here.

have to be with Wakefield though.

SC ... can follow you live anymore ... have to read you on reply because of the time difference now that I'm back in Thailand.

Welcome, whenever you get up, to this tabletop clash - I mean like 1st v 2nd, not like Subuteo...

2nd-placed Wigan host league leaders huddersfield at the DW Stadium, and remember - we're hoping for a draw, which would allow Warrington to sneak past into first place if they beat Wakefield tomorrow (tonight - given that this is going out at 0200 Saturday, Thai time).

It's James Child wearing the ref cam tonight and Pat Richards kicks off. Wigan are up for it as they pin the Giants back in their own 20 for the first two tackles. Uncompromising tackles by Huddersfield as Wigan get the ball for the first time

Scott Grix stops a try - no he doesn't he just delays it till the next tackle as Josh Charnley palms a high kick backwards for Sam Powell to touch down, in the opinion of video ref Richard Silverwood, so if its going to be a draw, it'll be a score draw... Wigan lead 6 - 0

A wayward pass falls into the arms of Scotland international Danny Brough, but Josh Charnley tracks him down, Huddersfield back to zero on the Wigan try line, Big Eorl Crabtree can't find a way through and the ball gets kicked away without a chase and Huddersfield remain scoreless.

Brough chips through and Huddersfield's Scott Grix recover the ball, at the next tackle a kick through is gathered by Aaron Murphy in the corner to score and Danny Brough levels the score with the resulting conversion

Pat Richards' pinpoint kick results in a knock-on and a scrum on the Giants' 20, but Wardle's first tackle of the set dislodges the ball, and Huddersfield recover to bring the ball back up the field.

Edited by StreetCowboy

Huddersfield break, slick passing as the tackles come in sees them make 50 metres up the field, but the ball comes loose. On their next set, Huddersfield break again, Brough chips over for himself but he over-runs the ball, Scott Grix gathers but it's the last tackle and he hands the ball back to Wigan.

Now it's Wigan's turn to break the line, and Josh Charnley races down the wing; he fends off the first tackle, rounds the next player, and fends off the last tackle as he crosses the line and turns in to score closer to the posts, and Wigan take a 12 - 6 lead.

But Jason Chan responds immediately, after Lulaki drops the ball; a penalty for interfering on the floor with the play-the-ball, and Chan's try gives Brough the opportunity to tie the scores again 12 - 12

Lulaki stumbles off the field substantially the worse for wear after colliding with teammate Logan Tomkins.

Five minutes to go in the first half, and Huddersfield are making ground up the field when Joe Wardle puts the ball down on the Wigan ten-metre line but a wayward pass sees Huddersfield recover the ball before Wigan can reach the Huddersfield ten.

Two minutes to go as the Huddersfield attack peters out. A knock-on gives Wigan possession on the half way line... Wigan penalised for off-side at the scrum. The hooter goes, Danny Brough swings for a drop goal but it's well wide and the teams go in for oranges tied on 12.

Elsewhere, London trail St Helens 22 - 0 at Langtree Park, while at Barton-on-Irwell, Leeds lead Salford 6 - 24.

Edited by StreetCowboy

The second half gets under way.

Huddersfield win a penalty for ripping in the tackle, but they can't find a gap in the Oh yes they can! and Huddersfield score despite a forward pass, and Danny Brough carelessly misses the conversion. 16 - 12 to the visitors. The BBC has marked up the conversion, it was such an easy one, but Sky, and the referee, disagree. But Brough gets the opportunity to make amends with a penalty, but he brushes the ball across the face of the posts. It's not like Danny Brough to squander four points...

McGilvery slices through the Wigan defence coming out from his own half. Wigan are attacking but they can't get into the Giants' 20. Now they can, and a grubber kick through by Daryl Goulding is fielded in goal, and the Giants kick out from under their posts. Pat Richards brings it back, At the next attack, Wigan kick from further out, and Scott Grix safely gathers the ball in the field of play. Huddersfield kick for a 40 - 20, and Josh Charnley is lucky that the linesman doesn't notice his foot in touch as he keeps the ball in play.

Cujoe is penalised and Wigan are up to the Huddersfield 20 again. The Giants' line comes up quickly and the ball comes out in the tackle. A kick sees Huddersfield set their defence twenty metres out from the Wigan line. Huddersfield up to the half way line on the first tackle. On the last tackle Aaron Murphy hacks the ball away, chases and tackles Josh Charnley, then gives away a penalty. There's blood coming from a cut on his nose. Huddersfield attack again into the Wigan 20. On the last tackle Grix kicks through, he gathers it and scores in the corner, and Brough gets the trickier kick from near the touchline to stretch the lead to ten points as they enter the last quarter. Brough goes for a 40 - 20, but it's out on the full...

But Lee Mossop can't hold on to the ball, and Huddersfield have the scrum. Tuson is penalised for squeezing the ball out in the tackle, and Huddersfield are attacking again, but Big Eorl Crabtree lets the ball go in the tackle. Sam Tomkins in the stands, looking concerned....

Giants are slowing the game down, holding on, then the ball goes wide, out to Aaron Murphy, who drives his way over the line, and Josh Charnley can't get him turned onto his back, and Huddersfield stretch their lead to 28 - 12

the kick-off is not fielded, Sean Lunt dives on the ball but he's offside, Wigan get as far as the Giants try line but the ball comes loose in the act of placing it on the line, and Huddersfield retain their margin. Ten minutes to go, and Wigan need to score three times, Brough drops on a loose ball - Wigan can't score while Huddersfield hold on to the ball...

Edited by StreetCowboy

Sean Lunt is taken out off the ball, and there's pushing and shoving breaking out - Laluaki gets some words from the referee - he should;ve been off for an attempted stamping earlier in the game, he shouldn't be back on after his concussion, and he ought to be in the bin for that shoulder charge, Danny Brough stretches the lead with another 2 points - 30 - 12 to the visitors.

then at the other end of the field Laulaki takes a blow to the head as he's thrown to the ground. Tuson drives to within a metre of the line, the ball comes wide, another high tackle but the referee deems it OK. Scott Grix gathers the kick through and brings the ball upfield, Huddersfield get another penalty. The defence were never ten yards back, there, referee! Wigan start the final set of six a few metres from their own line, and it's all over. Huddersfield go three points clear at the top of the table.

Elsewhere, St Helens beat their London visitors 38 - 10, and Salford went down 16 - 42 to their transpennine visitors Leeds. Sunday's televised game will be the Hull derby...

That's it from me for tonight, the Imam'll be along shortly.

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1