Live Rugby League

My apologies David - I'm not going to get up on Thursday night / Friday morning for the Wakefield - Bradford game

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-league/26245708

Not with it being a school night. It's on eurosport, if you can find a pub that's open 3 - 5 am (might not be live - better to check the schedules).

I might get up for Warrington Leeds on Saturday morning; or maybe just watch the recording whenever I rise.

They're not showing Blues v Khakis in the Challenge Cup second round on Eurosport on Saturday, but they are showing the Roosters - Warriors game, but I think they still have the wrong time scheduled for it; I think it should be 10:00 GMT, and the schedule shows 0830 -1030.

There's also a late night showing of the Auckland Nines, but it clashes with the Warrington Leeds game, so I'm not going to record it; that's on one of the Astro Supersports channels, so True might also be carrying it.

SC

^^ SC ... you are forgiven.

Maybe I can watch the game, drink some beer and change nappies all at once!

you can always come to my house and watch the game but only coffee on tap and if you don't mind shareing the settee with my beloved your more than welcome.biggrin.png

• Like 1

David won't have slept well last night

as Wakefield slip below Wigan in the table; only Hull KR, Warrington and London lie below them on points difference, with a game in hand.

Still, it's early days yet.

Tonight, Leeds host Warrington, and Hull FC travel to St Helens.

I'll not be getting up to watch live, even though the Leeds - Wire game is on Eurosport.

The NRL Auckland Nines from last weekend is showing on one of the Supersports channels, I think. And on Saturday afternoon we should have the World Club Challenge, though the Astro on-line schedule seems a bit confused. There should be radio coverage here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/5livesportsextra

SC

as Wakefield slip below Wigan in the table; only Hull KR, Warrington and London lie below them on points difference, with a game in hand.

I'll not be getting up to watch live, even though the Leeds - Wire game is on Eurosport.

The NRL Auckland Nines from last weekend is showing on one of the Supersports channels, I think. And on Saturday afternoon we should have the World Club Challenge, though the Astro on-line schedule seems a bit confused. There should be radio coverage here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/5livesportsextra

SC

I will be up to watch whatever is on,there might be a slim chance that wales vs france 3am thai time will be on,w00t.gif I repeat slim chance what do you think sc.

SC

I will be up to watch whatever is on,there might be a slim chance that wales vs france 3am thai time will be on,w00t.gif I repeat slim chance what do you think sc.

Astro are showing Wales France on Astro Supersports something, and normally True carry similar.

Leeds - Warrington is on Eurosport.

The NRL Nines is on Supersports extra, I think, more or less all night from midnight to after the sun comes up.

I reckon Wales will struggle against France - the only game I'm anticipating enjoying is England - Ireland; for Scotland in Rome, I'll be hiding behind the sofa.

I don't think Warrington are going to do well this season - they've lost too many big names, and last season's Grand Final showed they don't really have the defence in depth that they should - particularly not in the attacking backs. Leeds will do well, as usual, I expect, especially with Tom Briscoe joining them; that's a big loss for Hull.

I'm not sure if the WCC will be on Eurosport or not;the Astro timetable is not to be trusted. I'll probably stay at home for it, and listen on the wireless if it's not on TV

SC

• Like 1

Indeed, i didn't (sleep well).

But i put that down to someone placing a pea under my mattress to test me (analogy to the the Princess and the Pea story)

But, then realising that I have new-born TWINS ... thought it more likely a pea on the mattress ... dry.png

humm ... as long as they (Wakefield) played to the best of their ability and for the full 80 mins ... I can live with defeat.

what a game sc.hull vs catalan dragons right up to the last kick where dragons could have drawn but it wasn't to be on a night of missed kicks[lost count] hull missed 5 dragons 3.in the end 36-34 to hull.

another one for sc.household names in my era,crooks any relation to lee,lynom any relation to joe,ellis,I used to play darts with an ellis whose son played up north 70s.and finely leon pryce was that the original.

with the start of summer rugby,the rain has come to Bangkok. It's just started pouring.

I'm hoping I'll catch a replay of the Hull - Catalans game when I get home - it sounds like a cracker.

Lee is Ben's father. I couldn't tell you about Tome Lineham, but his wikipedia page looks like it was written by his mother.

So two upsets and a nail-biter for the first three games of Superleague:

Wigan lose to Huddersfield, Warrington fall to St Helens (OK - maybe that's not much of an upset... St Helens have now won four in a row at the Halliwell Jones), and last night's game that could've been drawn with the last kick of the game.

Meanwhile.... no, I won't mention the other code

SC

good morning sc.and what is the other code you wont mention? is that the one that wales have just beaten france 27-6

I repeat wales 27 france 6.

Warrington played far better last night, but Leeds defence was outstanding. Kevin Sinfield's drop goal to seal the game came off the post, and Bennie Westwood burrowed through the Leeds tacklers on hand and knees to stretch over and give Warrington a chance, trailing 18 - 12 with three minutes to go, but that was the way the scores ended.

Smokie will be disappointed at coming up short at Langtree Park against St Helens.

I'm now pretty sure Eurosport are NOT showing the WCC, as they're saying on the schedule it's a repeat of the Leeds Warrington game, starting at 3.30 Thai until 5 pm Thai, and kick-off for the WCC is 4 pm... anyway, I'll check at the time.

SC

World Club Challenge warm-up show has started, kick-off in fifteen minutes.

Are you sitting comfortably?

It's not on Eurosport, contrary to my previous exuberant claims, so I'm watching on Wiziwig, with the BBC radio commentary in reserve...

And they're off with an early score from the Roosters, five minutes and the Roosters are six points up.

Wigan defence forces a knock-on, but they can't make anything of it...

Roosters break, Sonny Bill Williams is brought down, quick play-the -ball - but it's an Interception! no it's not, he was offside and Roosters take a couple of tackles and burst through to score under the posts.

Jake Friend stabs a grubber through for himself, Bowen edges him off the ball but can't ground it, Josh Charnley flies over and Jennings touches down to score the third for the Roosters

Michael Mcllorum gives the Roosters another opportunity with a late shoulder charge on the kicker "You've got to be making a tackle, Michael", says the referee

Edited by StreetCowboy

A penalty for a high tackle gives the roosters a final chance for the first half, but Kenny Dowde puts a foot in touch as he touches down in the corner, and the half finishes with the Roosters leading 18 - 0.

And the second half starts with Wigan collecting the football, and making good yards in the tackle

And sustained pressure from Wigan sees Sydney penalised for off-side, Wigan spin the ball wide and Burgess scores in the corner

Poor handling sees Wigan juggle the ball again and again, and Jennings swoops through to score for Sydney

A high hanging bomb drops between Minicello and Tupo(?) the ball bounces forward off Tupo and Josh Charnley dots down for Wigan's second try

Wigan get a penalty near the Sydney goal line for interference at the play the ball..

Edited by StreetCowboy

Sustained pressure but Wigan are struggling to get the passes to hand but they recover, and the ball comes all the way across and back and brought forward and across and...

... Charnley in the corner!

24 - 14 - will Wigan rue their two missed conversions from the touchlines?

And from the kick-off, a knock-on on the first tackle kills their momentum, and eventually Sydney score their fifth

Wigan take a short kick-off, but the catcher is forced into the sidelines, and Sydney take the ball forward; a knock-on from the kick, and Sydney score with Kenny Dowde

And as full time approaches, some frantic dropping, and kicking and fumbling...sees Wigan recover, the ball comes back, Sydney get possesion and it's chaos again, and the referee says 'enough is enough' and that's it... Sydney 36 - 14 Wigan

Edited by StreetCowboy

this is for you sc.2 famous incidents stick in my mind as if they happened yesterday.

first was that missed coversion in front of the sticks up to his neck in mud and the last kick of the game to win the challenge cup.

1968 wembley wakefield vs leeds as eddie said poor kid. who was it.

second was that stamping on a players head which everyone saw,i cant remember his name but he was one hard nut,big forward.

I am sure I saw him play for rochdale hornets.

I'll do a bit of research over the weekend; just now I'm watching a recording of last night's Salford - St Helens game.

For the first five minutes the Red Devils take it to the Saints, but when St Helens can hold on to the ball they're slicing through the Salford defence, and the first try comes in the seventh minute as Jon Wilkins rolls over the try line in the tackle.

I'm going to resist checking the score on the internet, and watch the rest of the recording when I get home tonight.

SC

I'll do a bit of research over the weekend; just now I'm watching a recording of last night's Salford - St Helens game.

For the first five minutes the Red Devils take it to the Saints, but when St Helens can hold on to the ball they're slicing through the Salford defence, and the first try comes in the seventh minute as Jon Wilkins rolls over the try line in the tackle.

I'm going to resist checking the score on the internet, and watch the rest of the recording when I get home tonight.

SC

this is for you sc.2 famous incidents stick in my mind as if they happened yesterday.

first was that missed coversion in front of the sticks up to his neck in mud and the last kick of the game to win the challenge cup.

second was that stamping on a players head which everyone saw,i cant remember his name but he was one hard nut,big forward.

...As if it was only yesterday...

in black and white, to save on the license fee

SC

SC

the poor kid was don fox he wiped or tried to his forehead sank to his knee's as the final whistle goes [that's one out of two]

its the tuther one I cant get.

SC

the poor kid was don fox he wiped or tried to his forehead sank to his knee's as the final whistle goes [that's one out of two]

This might make you smile...

http://sabotagetimes.com/reportage/gerremonside-the-rugby-league-men-of-steel/

38 - 0 is not a happy score line for Salford, but at least the attendance of 6,353 makes them probably the best-supported rugby team in Barton-on-Irwell.

Sale Sharks 6,320 to watch them beat London Wasps.

It's pretty impressive that a place like barton-on-Irwell gets 12,000 rugby fans in a weekend, when Murrayfield attracts a pitiful three thousand or so for most Pro12 games.

SC

I've got Allan and Ray on the wireless at the Halliwell Jones where Warrington are taking the lead against Hull FC. Stefan Ratchford makes a tremendous brake but he's brought down by the full-back, who holds him down to let his team get back on side - certainly long enough to collect a yellow card and a ten minute rest on the naughty chair.

Warrington leading 10 - 6

Elsewhere, Bratford have taken a 6 - 0 lead over their nearest rivals for the wooden spoon, London, and Wigan are leading against Wakefield.

Warrington are not making the man advantage pay, and Trent Waterhouse gives away a penalty to let Hull FC relieve the pressure.

Tom Lynam has a chance to break fo the try line but he's brought down short, a boot into goal and Joel Monaghan ... has the ball snatched from his grasp but it goes loose, and Warrington bring it back from the ten metre line, there's a break that comes to naught but they're into the Hull half...

Scrum to Hull, Lynam looks like he might get away, but instead he gets bundled into touch, and it's a scrum to Warrington. An early kick for Warrington eludes Joel Monaghan's grasp as it bounces away, but it's a goal line dropout.

Wigan are running away 30 - 6 against Wakefield, 12-6 to Bradford against London...

Warrington bring the ball back from the half-way line Chris Bridge breaks one tackle, passes out of the tackle, Gareth O Brien, to Benny Westwood, Joel Monaghan puts the kick in and is it Richie Myler that downs the ball - no, it's Ben Evans for his first try that pounces on the short grubber kick as the Hull defence comes up quickly, and it's 14 - 6 as Stefan Ratchford lines up for the extras, 19 metres back, 10 metres left of the post, with a bit of wind behind him - perhaps too much Guinness the night before? The wind takes the ball over for 16 - 6

And a penalty gives Stefan Ratchford the chance to further extend Warrington's lead on the brink of half-time... there's the hooter ... and it's 18 - 6

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

And the second half starts with a stalemate - neither side able to break through the opposing defence, but Hull makes the first break, Westermen to Crooks - oh - but it's a knock-on by Ellis as Monaghan gets back to cut down Crooks.

Still scoreless in the second half. Warrington pinned back to their tryline by a long kick from half-way.

Hull will take the ball away from a scrum ten metres from their tryline.

Ray and Allan are complimenting James Child on his performance, as he awards a penalty to Warrington, while up the M6 at the DW Stadium, Wakefield have pulled back to 30 - 18 down. Joel Monaghan knocks on and the attack peters out.

I'm off to my bed now, so we'll see what is the final score in the morning....

SC

Warrington have to defend their line and Tom Lynam looks like he has gone over in the corner. Can Ben Crooks get the conversion from the far touchline? No...

18 - 10 half way into the second half, and it's tipping down with rain in Warrington.

Chris Bridge gives away a penalty and Hull have another attacking opportunity. But a handling error sees Warrington take the ball, two tackles up to the half way line.

"Oh, Crikey, Ray, how can the referee give a knock-on for that?" and Warrington have another attacking opportunity.

Whiting penalised, perhaps unfairly; what's going on, Ray? He's making sue they're back ten, Allan.

Frantic defence from Hull, three tackles gone. Penalty against Hull for ripping, and Warrington are a metre from the line. One tackle. Two tackles. Monaghan to Myler to TRatchford, Ratchford is stopped, ten metres out. Grubber kick fielded by Hull and the attack peters out.

And I've got work in the morning, so I'm off to bed

Edited by StreetCowboy

My apologies for the interruption to service.

Warrington held on to finish 18 - 16 ahead of Hull FC

Wigan beat Wakefield 46 - 24

and London continued their dismal start to the season with a 25 - 12 loss to Bradford, who wipe off another 2 points from their 6 point penalty for going into administration.

SC

This week's Thursday night football saw Widnes prevail in the end to run up a flattering 32 - 18 scoreline, after trailing 8 - 12 at half-time.

The artificial pitch looked a bit ropey.

Tonight Huddersfield host Leeds, who have won all three games so far.

Unfortunately, I'm off on a business trip tomorrow evening, so there'll be no commentary this weekend; I hope to be back in time for Salford Warrington on Friday night, but as I am working the morning after, you might have to put up with live commentary from the video recording on Saturday afternoon.

SC

Next week is a Cup Weekend, and South Wales and North Wales start on their journey to wrest the Challenge Cup out of England for the first time...I thought there was supposed to be some French teams giving it a go as well, but no sign of them yet. Catalans might be favourites, but they join with the other Superleague clubs in the fourth round.

Edited by StreetCowboy

Wakey entertain Catalans on Sunday, both sides looking for their first win of the season.

Meanwhile Warrington will be looking to run up a big score against struggling London Broncos.

The Champions, Cup Holders and Pie-Eaters travel to Castleford.

The table is beginning to thin out, with St Helens edging away at the top of the table with four wins out of four and a formidable +100 points difference. At the other end, Wakefield, Catalans and London are all looking for their first points, while Bradford close the gap on them after losing 6 points for going into administration.

Sadly, I can't offer any live commentary this weekend as I'm travelling

SC

SC

after rattling my little bit of brain it suddenly came to life,the other incident,i should be ashamed that it has taken me this long to remember someone who was born just up the road from me in aberdare,he was known as the hardest man ever to play rugby league.capped for wales then played for great brittain till being banned in 1975-1976 for stomping on n.z.player john greengrass's head in the 25-24 win over n.z. who banned him for life.have you got it yet?

HE WAS KNOWN AS BIG JIM MILLS.

hudd. 12 leeds 12 with both teams missing drop kicks in the final minutes.