Passenger Fixes Faulty Airliner

LaoPo

Passenger fixes faulty airliner

Holidaymakers avoided a long delay to their flight home when a passenger fixed a mechanical problem with their plane.

Passengers on Thomas Cook flight TCX9641 from Menorca were told to expect an eight-hour wait while an engineer was flown out from the UK.

One passenger then identified himself as a qualified aircraft engineer and offered to try to remedy the fault.

He was successful, and the plane landed in Glasgow only 35 minutes late.

A spokeswoman for Thomas Cook said the company followed strict procedures to ensure the man was qualified to work on the aircraft, a Boeing 757-200, during the incident on Saturday.

The passenger worked for another airline, Thomson Airways, which has a reciprocal maintenance agreement with Thomas Cook.

“ It was reassuring to know the person who had fixed it was still on the aeroplane ” Keith Lomax :)

"When they announced there was a technical problem he came forward and said who he was, " she said.

"We checked his licence and verified he was who he said he was, and he was able to fix the problem to avoid the delay.

"We are very grateful that he was on the flight that day."

Holidaymaker Keith Lomax, from Stirling, was travelling home from a week's break with his wife when the plane's captain announced the expected delay.

"We were in the plane, ready for take-off, when he announced there was a technical problem and that an engineer might have to be flown out from Manchester to fix it," he said.

"Then a stewardess told us there was an engineer on board and they were checking out to see if he could work on it. He was obviously successful. When he came back onto the plane there was a round of applause from the back of the aircraft.

"It was reassuring to know the person who had fixed it was still on the aeroplane. What are the odds of something like that happening?"

Chris Browne, managing director of Thomson Airways, said she was "delighted" that one of the company's engineers came to the rescue of fellow passengers "even when the flight was that of a competitor".

She added: "This kind of initiative exemplifies Thomson's company philosophy of exceeding customer's expectations and it makes all of the team at Thomson Airways extremely proud.

"Flight delays can be very frustrating for everyone involved so it was gratifying that a qualified Thomson engineer, who has been with the company for 27 years, was in the right place at the right time."

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_n...est/8136193.stm

LaoPo

And the point is...?

I was on board a Singapore Airways flight from Don Muaung @ 2003 when a passenger in front of me went into convulsions whist we were beginning the take off, to tell the truth I was not even aware of it, until I saw a guy jumping from the seat across the aisle, then pulling this guy from his seat and laying him out along the aisle. He then shouted out to his companion something in German, which obviously translated to "get my case from above" which is companion then did. At this stage that he was working on the passenger, I realised that the guy's wife had come on board bearing x-ray document cases. I mentioned this to the doctor as he was working the patient and he asked to see the x-rays and then talked to the woman. Turned out that the guy had had a problem on the flight on the way over, had gone to the hospital to check out and they had actually advertised him not to fly back but to submit to full neurological procedures, he had obviously preferred to go home. The net result was that the plane was stopped on the runway and eventually paramedics arrived and took the guy away after he was stabilised. however during this time I had watched the doctor give at least three injections, mostly it's seemed into the neck. I later talked to the guy, the doctor, and made a remark about how lucky this guy was to have someone like him, literally three seats away from him with a full medical kit. He then told me that because of a previous incident when ever he travelled he did so with his emergency kit, and this is where I think the passenger got really lucky, turned out that the guy was not only a doctor at what I can only translate as an emergency casualty consultant.

How lucky can you get? After this experience I would figure that I would prefer one or more of 300 to 400 souls on board the aircraft be an emergency consultant rather than an aircraft engineer.

Edited by roamer

And the point is...?

I would figure that I would prefer one or more of 300 to 400 souls on board the aircraft be an emergency consultant rather than an aircraft engineer.

Well the point is, the doctor could not have fixed the aircraft, and the engineer would not have been able to handle the medical emergency, so I guess both flights got lucky.

And the point is...?

I would figure that I would prefer one or more of 300 to 400 souls on board the aircraft be an emergency consultant rather than an aircraft engineer.

Well the point is, the doctor could not have fixed the aircraft, and the engineer would not have been able to handle the medical emergency, so I guess both flights got lucky.

I just wonder what would have happened to both flights in the air?

Maybe it is time to get the third man (technical) back with the pilots, and a doctor or a good medic in the passenger cabin.

The aircraft are getting bigger and bigger, now 500+ is getting the norm.

The chance medical help is needed is growing!

Time for airlines to train at least one of the crew as a medic?

Or, much more simple, hire an EMS-nurse (male/female) and double as a flight attendant.

Edited by hansnl

Not that surprising considering how many airline maintenance workers are offered reduced fare or free flights.

I've been on at least a dozen flights where onboard MX personnel have made last minute fixes. Most very minor. Some not.

The aircraft are getting bigger and bigger, now 500+ is getting the norm.

No, the aircraft capable of carrying 500+ make up less than 0.5%

It's no wonder some people are nervous fliers with the way some people go off without checking facts first. You're on the internet already, look it up.

The chance medical help is needed is growing!

Time for airlines to train at least one of the crew as a medic?

Or, much more simple, hire an EMS-nurse (male/female) and double as a flight attendant.

It's routine for ALL flight crew to be trained in first-aid, CPR, and even automated defibrillators now. However, if a doctor is available it's always deferred to them.

Edited by cdnvic

It's routine for ALL flight crew to be trained in first-aid, CPR, and even automated defibrillators now. However, if a doctor is available it's always deferred to them.

Which flight crews? I'm sorry but in SE asia, I wouldn't anticipate someone on 1,2 GO, Nok, Garuda, or Vietnam Airways having these skills. How about some of the Indian, Bangladeshi or Pakistani carriers? EU, Aus and US operated airline FAs have training, but they can't be expected to do much and usually it's to move the PAX out of the way or to put a sheet over the corpse. It's unfair to the FAs as well. They have to call in the case to the ground consultant who then walks the FA through what to do. Very stressful, particularly when it's a rotund woman hollering and screaming as was the case on a flight I once took from DEL to ZRH. Would you have faith in the delicate man called to administer CPR n a domestic TG flight? I wouldn't.

Alot of physicians are sitting still when the announcement comes on asking for assistance. Often they get nothing in return except a shirt full of barf, a professional liability exposure and again, more stress.

Back in the good old days you had to be an RN to be a flight attendant. Maybe the oldtimers were right.

How often do passengers have serious medical emergencies on flights? Not very often.

Require all flight attendants be registered nurses? Bit overkill ain't it?

Perhaps they should have a few certified astronauts on board each flight in case the plane jets out of the atmosphere -- you know ... just in case.

Which flight crews? I'm sorry but in SE asia, I wouldn't anticipate someone on 1,2 GO, Nok, Garuda, or Vietnam Airways having these skills. How about some of the Indian, Bangladeshi or Pakistani carriers?

Thai and Garuda get CPR training, I can't find any info on the others. (Not going to fly them in any case)

Would you have faith in the delicate man called to administer CPR n a domestic TG flight? I wouldn't.

If he's been properly trained, why not? Delicacy doesn't mean squat in CPR.

Alot of physicians are sitting still when the announcement comes on asking for assistance.

What is your evidence of this? Or are you just making this up?

Back in the good old days you had to be an RN to be a flight attendant. Maybe the oldtimers were right.

Back in the "good old days" airliners had a much higher chance of crashing and killing everyone on board. There was also no defibrillator or other modern medical devices on the aircraft. Today the rate of death due to medical emergencies on aircraft is around 1 in 10,000,000 passengers. (FAA Civil Aerospace Medical Institute)

And the point is...?

I just wonder what would have happened to both flights in the air?

Maybe it is time to get the third man (technical) back with the pilots

I think this is very good, but only as an observer and advisor. Often when problems occur, pilot's are asked to solve this by themselves, but pilot's are pilot's and not engineers. Sometimes some problem sounds familiar to an engineer and it doesn't to a pilot. This can save precious lives here

------------------

Back in the "good old days" airliners had a much higher chance of crashing and killing everyone on board. There was also no defibrillator or other modern medical devices on the aircraft. Today the rate of death due to medical emergencies on aircraft is around 1 in 10,000,000 passengers. (FAA Civil Aerospace Medical Institute)

Rubbish, most planes still fly or the same models when jet-engine powered commercial aviation started.

An defibrillator has nothing to do with an aircraft safety but passengers. These also had defibrillators in those times, only not much modernized and compact version of today. Don't call everything in the future better, because I find much much more better in the " good old days ".

It's no wonder some people are nervous fliers with the way some people go off without checking facts first. You're on the internet already, look it up.

:) :

The 747-8 Intercontinental is the only jetliner in the 400- to 500-seat market, stretched 5.6 m (18.3 ft) from the 747-400 to provide 467 seats in a three-class configuration and a 14,815-km (8,000-nmi) range. Using 787-technology engines, the airplane will be quieter, produce lower emissions, and achieve better fuel economy than any competing jetliner.

The 777 seats from 301 to 368 passengers in a three-class configuration with a range capability of 5,240 nautical miles (9,700 km) to 9,395 nautical miles (17,395 km).

The 747-8 Intercontinental is the only jetliner in the 400- to 500-seat market, stretched 5.6 m (18.3 ft) from the 747-400 to provide 467 seats in a three-class configuration and a 14,815-km (8,000-nmi) range. Using 787-technology engines, the airplane will be quieter, produce lower emissions, and achieve better fuel economy than any competing jetliner.

The 777 seats from 301 to 368 passengers in a three-class configuration with a range capability of 5,240 nautical miles (9,700 km) to 9,395 nautical miles (17,395 km).

According to wikipedia the Airbus A380 can seat between 525 and 853! people with a range of 15,200 km (8,200 nmi, 9,400 mi)

:D

According to wikipedia the Airbus A380 can seat between 525 and 853! people with a range of 15,200 km (8,200 nmi, 9,400 mi)

:D

<LI>On Nov. 9-10, 2005, a Boeing 777-200LR Worldliner set a new world record for distance traveled non-stop by a commercial jetliner. The 777-200LR set a record distance of 11,664 nautical miles (21,601 km) on a route traveling eastbound from Hong Kong to London (Heathrow). The flight lasted 22 hours and 42 minutes. The achievement was recognized by the U.S. National Aeronautics Association, The Fédération Aéronautique Internationale and the Guinness Book of Records.

I was on a flight from KL - KK (Kuala Lumpar to Kota Kinabalu in Sabah . Half way through the flight , which was only 1/4 full , a man had a convulsion in his seat , shaking and foaming at the mouth . The young stewardess didnt know what to do , she just stood , looking panic stricken on her face. I said to her and another Stewardess to pull him out of his seat and put him in the centre of the isle as the man was shaking violetly in his seat etc.

A lady passenger 2 or 3 seats down from me was trying to get the best view and shouting " Whats Happening - Whats Happening " , SO , I told her the man had a contagious disease and we are all going to die. hahaha

Then just after that , the captain of the flight walked down the aisle from the cockpit , so I shouted out , "oh my god Who's flying the plane" , the captain replied , Dont worry sir , the co-Pilot has the controls .hahaha

The man who had the convulsion was fine in about 10 minutes and had a full recovery , however the lady with the question "whats happening " looked scared stiff , hahahah

:):D:D

Rubbish, most planes still fly or the same models when jet-engine powered commercial aviation started.

:)

If you came to Thailand on a 707 good for you, but once again you've shown you know nothing about aviation.

Hi,

regarding the tech prob, glad to see initiative being used to get the aircraft back to base, perfectly safe and sensible decision by all concerned.

I would imagine all airlines will have an Safety And Emergencies Procedure (SEP) course in place. What is actually involved in the course will however vary quite dramatically i am sure, depending on where the airline comes from. The crew will have attended a first aid course, and the senior cabin crew members will be trained on the use of the defibrillator carried on board.

Everybody will react differently to a potentially stressfull situation on board and aircraft. Its not something you could really determine 100% from a recruitment/selection procedure.

It would be silly for a pilot to go into the cabin and get involved. That job is delegated to the cabin crew and the pilots job is to fly the aircaft !.

Some aicraft have onboard sat communication with direct dial to a medlink facility manned 24 hrs per day. If a passenger falls sick onboard the crew can contact medlink, explain the symtoms, and then make a decision based on the advice they offer. Most of the time it can be dealt with onboard, occasionally it can end up with a diversion.

New generation aircraft are very straight forward to operate, thus no requirement for a flight engineer. The engineers panel has been incorporated into the overhead panel on the flightdeck and generally does not require much interaction during a normal flight.

A Boeing 777-300 in a 2 class config will hold well over 400 passengers.

Rgds.

Edited by khaosai