Arriving August 1st. Book Hotel Now Or On Arrival?

craigt3365

I plan to be in Phuket around August 1st for a few weeks. Should I book before I leave or when I get there? I have done it both ways, but one time was just after the tsunami (great hotel deals then).

Any recommendations would be appreciated! I lean towards a mid-range option ($50-90 USD/night). Nothing too budget or high end.

Thanks!

Craig

Hotel occupancy is very low this year and you won't have any trouble getting a room. I suggest you browse one of the late-booking web sites for good deals.

If you do not see anything your happy with on those sites, And you are arriving early morn in phuket.

look around the hotels for the best walk in deals and play them against each other. I have a friend in the uk does it all the time and i am amazed at the deals he gets.

But if your like me just choose something your happy with.

Walk in rates will be higher than the internet rates.

So check the hotel bookingsites for a good deal.

Not necessarily - my brother just spent 2 weeks in Koh Chang. Did a walk in to the hotel he wanted and paid 60% of their internet rate.

Times are tough out there, take advantage of it.

On Phuket (I don't know about Koh Chang): in 99% of the cases, walk in rates will be higher.

Also the hotel booking websites will be cheaper than the hotels own website.

Walk in rates will be higher than the internet rates.

So check the hotel bookingsites for a good deal.

Not necessarily - my brother just spent 2 weeks in Koh Chang. Did a walk in to the hotel he wanted and paid 60% of their internet rate.

Times are tough out there, take advantage of it.

Maybe if you bump in to the owner of the place but regular staff will not give you such a good deal.

If a bookingsite knows the hotel is selling lower than their rates, they won't sell that hotel again.

On Phuket (I don't know about Koh Chang): in 99% of the cases, walk in rates will be higher.

yepp

latestays.com a week before departure should get you the best deal hazzlefree

yepp

latestays.com a week before departure should get you the best deal hazzlefree

Dont walk in to a hotel looking for a rate, you will pay too much. Book online via one of the mentioned websites.

It is more expensive to walk in, even if the times are bad. The hotels have deals with these internet sites and the staff at the hotel cant give you discounts. We have booked from home this time, will also be there in august. We dont want to waste time looking for deals when we are there. We got some really really cheap prices on very good hotels this year. Try expedia.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. I got a great deal on a hotel yesterday in Kamala. Their web site showed 2,000B. Other booking sites showed rates from 2,000to 3,500. I called them and got a 1,500B rate. This is for an oceanview room and right on the beach! Looks like business is darn slow...

Again, thanks for all your help!