Internet Connection

tjansen

I hope I am posting this properly. I have two questions.

The first is about the ADSL and PPP lights--general information. What does it mean if:

-they are both on

-then they both go off

-then the ADSL blinks, then becomes solid

-then the PPP comes back on and everything works. I have gone for a long while with this not happening, now it happens regularly but sometimes not for a few hours, then it starts again.

A different condition started tonight with the PPP going off and the ADSL staying on, at least for a while. What does that one mean?

MY SECOND QUESTION

I am getting fed up enough trying to keep all the links between TOT and me functioning to give the mobile phone approach a try. Last Sunday evening around 8:00 I tried out a friend's Nokia with AIS sim card. It was good enough to use Skype, just a bit choppy here and there. My TOT connection, when it is working, has very good speed for Skype except during some busy times. I usually use it after 10:00 PM and it is good. Am I deluding myself to think Skype will be OK with a Mobile Phone hookup?

I am used to using, and familiar with, DTAC but would readily go to AIS if they are faster. Would you know what the speed difference between DTAC and AIS might be? I think I will buy a Nokia 3310 or a 2730 if they are available, so I can possibly use 3G if it comes around.

My Information:

I live in Ban Pong Ratchaburi near Wat Don Toom

Billion ADSL 2+ Modem / Router,

Acer 4730Z

Windows XP with License and Updates

TOT ISP with faster option, I think 2.0 something

By the way, I have TOT coming out for their second (recent) look at the wires going to my apartment.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by tjansen

I hope I am posting this properly. I have two questions.

The first is about the ADSL and PPP lights--general information. What does it mean if:

-they are both on

-then they both go off

-then the ADSL blinks, then becomes solid

-then the PPP comes back on and everything works. I have gone for a long while with this not happening, now it happens regularly but sometimes not for a few hours, then it starts again.

A different condition started tonight with the PPP going off and the ADSL staying on, at least for a while. What does that one mean?

MY SECOND QUESTION

I am getting fed up enough trying to keep all the links between TOT and me functioning to give the mobile phone approach a try. Last Sunday evening around 8:00 I tried out a friend's Nokia with AIS sim card. It was good enough to use Skype, just a bit choppy here and there. My TOT connection, when it is working, has very good speed for Skype except during some busy times. I usually use it after 10:00 PM and it is good. Am I deluding myself to think Skype will be OK with a Mobile Phone hookup?

By the way, I have TOT coming out for their second (recent) look at the wires going to my apartment.

In simple terms, the ADSL light shows if the router has a connection to your ISP, when it blinks it means it is in the process of connecting. The PPP light shows that once the connection to your ISP has been established the router has negotiated and authenticated to gain access to the Internet over the connection.

If both lights are going out and the process of the router connecting starts again, ADSL light blinking showing connecting then going solid to show it's got the connection and then the PPP light coming on, it means the signal from your ISP coming down the line was interrupted for some reason, usually indicates your trying to run a higher than can be supported speed over bad wires/too long a distance from the telephone exchange or you have a telephone or other device connected to the line with either no ADSL filter or a faulty ADSL filter that is interrupting the DSL signal.

As for Skype over a mobile phone, over EDGE which is the best you can get at your location, it's not going to work with the low bandwidth available. Outside of Bangkok/central Thailand you can use a CAT wireless CDMA card which runs Skype great, but not an option for you unfortunately. TOT really should be able to figure out why your signal keeps dropping out, if they still claim it should be fine trying disconnecting any other devices on the line and just leave the DSL router.

Hope that's of some help

Martin

EDIT: Missed the PPP light going out but ADSL staying on, just means the signal is getting disrupted but not enough to completely lose the connection to your ISP but enough to make the router have to negotiate and authenticate again to get Internet access.

Edited by mjperry

DSL light = the physical phone line connection to the DSLAM on the other end of the line.

PPP or internet light = the completed connection after receiving an IP address.

If just the PPP light goes off the whole time while the DSL light stays on

and you have TOT,

then that's where it ends. Numerous people have this problem, and it's caused by poor router configuration on the TOT network. Unfortunately nobody working at TOT has a single clue how to solve this.

The above is almost all correct.

The ADSL light indicates that there is a connection negotiated between your modem and the DSLAM. The DSLAM might be located at the telephone exchange, or it might be a micro DSLAM, they are usually positioned in electricity poles.

From the DSLAM onwards, fiber optic cable is used towards the different ISP's (TOT, Maxnet, KSC, Csloxinfo,etc)

Once the ADSL link is active, your modem will start the PPPoE authentication. From the username and password, the DSLAM will know to which ISP to route your traffic. Once that ISP confirms your username/password is valid, the internet light will come up and you will have internet connectivity.

When both ADSL and Internet lights go out simultaniously, this indicates a problem with the connection between your modem and the DSLAM. Both are owned by the phone line provider you are with. The problem will likely as described in the post above, bad phone line, interfering equipment (phone/fax without using an ADSL filter/splitter), a power problem at the DSLAM etc...

When only the internet light goes out, mostly results from problems at your ISP, or the connection (fiber) between the DSLAM and ISP. This might still be caused by the phone line provider when for example they are routing you to a wrong ISP, or not routing you at all!

If the ADSL light never goes out, but the internet light often, you will likely gain from changing ISP. You can for example get Csloxinfo through your TOT telephone line!

If the ADSL light goes down often, changing ISP will not help as the problem is between your modem and the DSLAM...

In the latter case, only TOT can help you with finding the line problem.

If the distance is to far between you and the DSLAM, it is often beneficial to downgrade one speedlevel, since the lower the speed, the easier for your modem it will be to sustain the connection.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Monty,

My TOT lines seem to be constant dropping off line from 1700 to 0700 the next day… this happened everyday since last week. I did a SpeedTouch Connectivity Test and to my surprised, each test show a different IP address and the following addressess appear yesterday after several test.

Can you please tell me what is happening?

Andy

Your IP address is automatically assigned by your ISP. Whenever you sign in you will have a new address.

Only in case you have a fixed IP address it will always be the same.

So if your connection is lost... and connected again - you will have a new IP address.

Thats nothing ununsual

Your IP address is automatically assigned by your ISP. Whenever you sign in you will have a new address.

So if your connection is lost... and connected again - you will have a new IP address.

Thats nothing ununsual

Mine is a fixed IP address and it has been always the same since inception. Isn't it strange to have different IP address when I did the connection test lately.?

Thats nothing ununsual

Mine is a fixed IP address and it has been always the same since inception. Isn't it strange to have different IP address when I did the connection test lately.?

weird...

please test it: http://whatismyipaddress.com/

Hi Monty,

My TOT lines seem to be constant dropping off line from 1700 to 0700 the next day… this happened everyday since last week. I did a SpeedTouch Connectivity Test and to my surprised, each test show a different IP address and the following addressess appear yesterday after several test.

Andy

Hostname: 125.26.94.176.adsl.dynamic.totbb.net

ISP: TOT public company limited

Organization: TOT Public Company Limited Bangkok

Proxy: None detected

Type: Cable/DSL

Hi Monty,

Andy

125.26.83.138 This is different from my orignal IP address...

Hi Monty,

Andy

IMHO you don't have a fixed IP address

Hostname: 125.26.83.138.adsl.dynamic.totbb.net

Hi Monty,

Andy

IMHO you don't have a fixed IP address

Hostname: 125.26.83.138.adsl.dynamic.totbb.net

Thanks, I understand now