The Mysterious Case Of The Missing Ballpark Franks

Ulysses G.

Actually, the photos of the label do not match the photo of her hand around the package. In other words, the photos prove nothing.

Excuse me? How exactly don't those match up? I took the picture on the day and the pack fronts come to you courtesy of Wal-Mart's website or are you suggesting there's some digital manipulation been done here?

I can hardly believe I'm bothering to reply to your post except that I'm interested to hear what kind of far fetched explanation you could possibly invent for your extraordinary assertion.

Sheesh - all this fuss about frankfurters?? Unbelievable.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The CM forum, food, bickering - nah.

Boo has already warned about the bickering. Continuing will force closure of this topic. <sigh> More about the imported beer please. Yes, I used to drink Coors when it was only available in Colorado - probably due to the novelty, but seemed pretty good ice cold at the time. Sorry to missed the function.

There used to be a place in San Francisco around 1959, out on the west end called Foot Long Hotdogs. On PCH, coming into town on Hwy 1. Northeast corner, out on the Palisades.

I'm not making this up.

My aunt and uncle from Berkeley picked me up at my parent's home in Palo Alto with my younger sister Anne. I think she was about 6 1/2 at the time.

We were going to the Nutcracker Ballet at the San Francisco Opera House.

This is what people imposed on young children in the 50's; sorry if I digress.

Imagine hot dogs that have that "Snap" to them. To a young kid, it was a Leviathan, but delicious.

Best hot dog I ever had; not another comes close.

I think they went bust in the 70's, they were a landmark.

Nathans....bleeh.

Everyone knows only Germans Italians and Hungarians know how to produce real sausage. OK, maybe Russians and a few other nationalities too....

So..... well this is a timely discussion as Oscar Mayer just kicked it yesterday. What do you know ?

But as for VenturaLaw, I know you're talking about the 7/4 celebrations. I personally can't remember one at the Consulate that ever fully met my expectations with food for quality, price, or quantity. Quite the contrary actually.

But then, on the upside, it's always nice to bump into a few Thai and Farang friends you weren't expecting to see there. And there're always a few odd Americans you see who you're glad you don't run in their circles.

BUT! My point about the Arabic wieners was, as Buddha has taught me, the 4th of July is the past. I cannot change it. Whether I ate a ballpark frank or not, it is already done. What can be changed is the present, by getting yourselves down to the Tesco or Big C and bringing yourself some wiener relief if that's what's necessary. C'est c'ast.

And then also, it never hurts to give UG a ribbing for never cooking himself a meal. I think he's claimed one time there was just some beverage and some mustard in his entire fridge ? Memory serving me correctly ?

I'm working my ar$e off in Alaska this summer and had a fairly proper celebration except for being at work when we had the bbq. But cash and duty call.

Peace Blondie - I like my Chiang Mai sausage as much as the next guy, but mine comes from a lady (not like that people!!) and gets cooked on a grill.

Well if you're in Alaska, RTD, you must try to bring us some smoked salmon (Indian Candy) and some frozen 2 foot long King Crab legs.

Unbelievable flatfish (200 kg halibut; Barn Doors), every variety of wild salmon, crabs to die for (see the documentaries in the genre Crazy Guys Risking Life In The Bering Sea)......

Life foodwise can be good in Alaska.

Makes hot dogs pale in comparison.

So..... well this is a timely discussion as Oscar Mayer just kicked it yesterday. What do you know ?

But as for VenturaLaw, I know you're talking about the 7/4 celebrations. I personally can't remember one at the Consulate that ever fully met my expectations with food for quality, price, or quantity. Quite the contrary actually.

But then, on the upside, it's always nice to bump into a few Thai and Farang friends you weren't expecting to see there. And there're always a few odd Americans you see who you're glad you don't run in their circles.

BUT! My point about the Arabic wieners was, as Buddha has taught me, the 4th of July is the past. I cannot change it. Whether I ate a ballpark frank or not, it is already done. What can be changed is the present, by getting yourselves down to the Tesco or Big C and bringing yourself some wiener relief if that's what's necessary. C'est c'ast.

And then also, it never hurts to give UG a ribbing for never cooking himself a meal. I think he's claimed one time there was just some beverage and some mustard in his entire fridge ? Memory serving me correctly ?

I'm working my ar$e off in Alaska this summer and had a fairly proper celebration except for being at work when we had the bbq. But cash and duty call.

Peace Blondie - I like my Chiang Mai sausage as much as the next guy, but mine comes from a lady (not like that people!!) and gets cooked on a grill.

What I like about the U.S. Consulate location is the significant history of the compound (although it is Thai history, it's really interesting). Regarding the grilled Chiang Mai sausage, sounds really good. I prefer the grill too. Cheers

Edited by venturalaw

Actually, the photos of the label do not match the photo of her hand around the package. In other words, the photos prove nothing.

Excuse me? How exactly don't those match up? I took the picture on the day and the pack fronts come to you courtesy of Wal-Mart's website or are you suggesting there's some digital manipulation been done here?

I can hardly believe I'm bothering to reply to your post except that I'm interested to hear what kind of far fetched explanation you could possibly invent for your extraordinary assertion.

You're excused. For the photographs to be offered as proof requires a statement (foundation) from the photographer who took the photographs. We now have that. However, what is missing is that you admittedly took the Ballpark Franks photo from the "Wal-Mart's website". To be evidence of Ballpark Franks being at the celebration, would it not make sense that the Ballpark Franks emblem be from a photograph of a package of Ballpark Franks actually at the celebration, not from a website? Is this far fetched to you?

Edited by venturalaw

It never seizes to amaze me where yanks can get upset about. Even a dumb wiener seem to be enough

The word is ceases (not seizes).

Who is upset? But I understand that you are amazed. It's due to a lack of understanding. Some may say ignorance, but then that may cause upset.

Edited by venturalaw

It never seizes to amaze me where yanks can get upset about. Even a dumb wiener seem to be enough

Who is upset? But I understand that you are amazed. It's due to a lack of understanding. Some may say ignorance, but then that may cause upset.

Please, do not `amaze` me any further, the wiener story is bad enough already...

Please, do not `amaze` me any further, the wiener story is bad enough already...

Sorry, but I don't take responsibility for your emotions.

Sorry, but I don't take responsibility for your emotions.

Snickering....

Did anyone see any "Ballpark Franks" - at all - at the Independence Day Celebration"?

At 2:30 in the afternoon - when the gates first opened - they were serving skinny dogs that seemed to have come from a Thai convienience store and I have not met even one person who thinks that they saw a big, juicy Ballpark Frank all day.

Perhaps I am being petty, but they were advertised everywhere and a large percentage of the expats that I know went especially on account of those franks and would like to know to know where they vanished to. When I left in the early afternoon everyone waiting in line outside was asking about them and I felt bad saying that they seemed like boiled, 7/11 specials to me.

What happened to the real deals? Where is Nancy Drew when you really need her?

Petty?? Yeah a little bit, just get in mind TIT, aka., This is Thailand.

The CM forum, food, bickering - nah.

Boo has already warned about the bickering. Continuing will force closure of this topic. <sigh> More about the imported beer please. Yes, I used to drink Coors when it was only available in Colorado - probably due to the novelty, but seemed pretty good ice cold at the time. Sorry to missed the function.

I drank one of every American beer except Budweiser because where I come from all you can get is Bud, Bud Light, Bud Ice, Bud Dry, Bud American Ale, Bush and maybe Michelob if you're in a highbrow place, I never want to see Bud again. But mostly I stuck with the Sam Adams Lager, I was a little tipsy so paid no mind to the hot dogs but as you said is it really that important.

I think the non-Yanks are the ones that are upset..... Maybe some disenfranchised expatriot yanks.... but by far the majority of "upset" posters seem to be non-yank.... just an observation

MSPain

PS I also find it amazing that it is so upsetting... As usual, seems a simple solution.

I think the non-Yanks are the ones that are upset..... Maybe some disenfranchised expatriot yanks.... but by far the majority of "upset" posters seem to be non-yank.... just an observation

MSPain

PS I also find it amazing that it is so upsetting... As usual, seems a simple solution.

As an American living here, I on occasion miss what I sometimes, but rarely, enjoyed in the U.S. - a good hotdog, or steak, etc. Short of returning to the states (not a desirable choice), I was looking forward to the 4th of July celebration (an event that, since adulthood, I rarely participated in while living in the U.S.). No big deal for I am much happier here.

Did anyone see any "Ballpark Franks" - at all - at the Independence Day Celebration"?

At 2:30 in the afternoon - when the gates first opened - they were serving skinny dogs that seemed to have come from a Thai convienience store and I have not met even one person who thinks that they saw a big, juicy Ballpark Frank all day.

Perhaps I am being petty, but they were advertised everywhere and a large percentage of the expats that I know went especially on account of those franks and would like to know to know where they vanished to. When I left in the early afternoon everyone waiting in line outside was asking about them and I felt bad saying that they seemed like boiled, 7/11 specials to me.

Surely there must be more to life than this to worry about?

Edited by sassienie

Surely there must be more to life than this to worry about?

a poet wrote once " don't criticize what you don't understand"

In fact we would maybe hear about the merits of a fine goose pate from a French man.

You hear about the quality of a luke warm boiled hotdog from an American.

Anybody that has dined on fine USA food knows that on 4th of july you have a dog right off the charcoal grill a bit brunt on the skin . If charcoal grill used properly nobody would be concerned about what kind of franks they were since they would have tasted great regardless.

But as I posted I was just joking about the conspiracy theory. The VFW buys the wieners from the US Embassy Commissary in BKK. The Commissary is run by Haliburton and maybe the franks are not made in the US but somewhere else for international distribution, perhaps Australia.

Is this also where they acquired the Mt. Dew, Dr. Pepper, and Bud Light? Is this Commissary open to the general public? I seriously would fly down to Bangkok, solely to purchase the a fore mentioned items (or pay a nice premium to buy them in Chiang Mai)..

-Mestizo

Where is this commissary? I'm interested. Is it in the Embassy compound? I've neither seen nor heard of it.

Or is this another black ops, covert operation that the Hollywood pundits from Manchester and Portsmuff dreamed up?

Those Ballpark Franks likely have either truth serum or rfid chips in them, ya know.

Edited by Texpat

Me and my four little ones enjoyed ourselves.

PERIOD

However. We were constantly asked if were american and how did we infiltrate such a high so event. My husband has a house in westhampton beach, one in malibu and one in scotsdale az. He choses to leave us here slumming it, while he makes a few dollars. Ive informed him of the concern over the hot dogs.