Thai Import Duty: How 10% Becomes 85%

First thing you should be doing is getting in touch with a Thai Customs agent. Do you have a valid one year visa? If so, you may also be able to qualify for Duty free import of House Hold Goods even without a WP.

In either case you will need to give full invoice to your customs agent and let them advise estimated import Duty and Tax. Even House Hold goods shipments do not enjoy a "Blanket tax exemption".

The standard that Thai customs uses is "A Fair assesment of what is required to set up a houshold". This is subjective and can vary depending upon the customs officer.

Please also note that they determine this based upon the "Thai" standard of what is required, which may differ from what we feel is esential in the west. So to say you need 3 TVs, 2 gaming consols, 2 computers, 200 DVDs ect... will most assuredly not fly...

Many House Hold Goods shipments will have some import Duty and taxes owed...(unlessyou follow the advice of some and lie on the invoice and try to smuggle goods into Thailand, I do not recomend or advocate doing this).

--------------------------------------------

For everyone complaining about the way that courier companies calculate and charge for import Duty and Taxes... don't use them.

Get your self a customs agent to handle customs and delivery. Many companies in Thailand have items shipped via DHL/UPS (because the size of the package is vary small), but use the services of customs agent to do customs clearance.

Hi CWMcMurray, I have a 1 year Non-B visa but no annual extension of stay. The Thai Customs site says "1 year visa" but I am told by others they actually mean you need an "annual extension of stay" to escape duty.

You say customs want to see an "invoice", but I don't understand how I (or why I'd want to) produce an invoice for sending my own stuff to myself.

I'd be sending no computers, TV's etc., just household nik-naks. I worry how customs go about placing a value on said "nik-naks".

Hi CWMcMurray, I have a 1 year Non-B visa but no annual extension of stay. The Thai Customs site says "1 year visa" but I am told by others they actually mean you need an "annual extension of stay" to escape duty.

You say customs want to see an "invoice", but I don't understand how I (or why I'd want to) produce an invoice for sending my own stuff to myself.

I'd be sending no computers, TV's etc., just household nik-naks. I worry how customs go about placing a value on said "nik-naks".

I know of a person who was able to receive allowance for "House Hold goods" with a one year O-A retirement visa from Germany. This was about a month ago.

You would need an invoice for customs purposes. Everything has a value and customs will expect you to know the value of your goods and submit an invoice accordingly.

They will then go over it and may have questions about "Brand" of goods or need a more in depth description of certain items. They will then decide which should be required for your "household" and be duty free and which are "not required" and will need to pay import duty on.

The items that duty will need to be paid, they will look at the value and either accept or advise that the goods are "undervalued" if undervalued, they will advise the value that should be used. To be fair to Thai customs, some people do put rediculously low value on some items.

In some cases they may want to inspect the shipment, but usually this is not required.

This thread is scary.

I have 12 cu m (1000kg?) of my UK-life household effects (racking up storage costs as I speak) that I would urgently like to bring into Thailand in a container and if I go through with it, I am starting to feel I will regret the idea once I hit customs.

How will they assess the dutiable value of 10 - 20 year-old household stuff (basically 90% crap!). There are no sales invoices etc. as it's old used personal stuff. As a guide for myself, I've estimated I could replace all "the 90% crap" buying second hand on ebay in the UK for around £6,000. The 10% "sentimental" stuff I can't replace (which unfortunately is inextricably mixed up with all the cr@p).

How on earth do customs decide a value and what rate of duty are they then likely to apply? Shipping alone is likely to be £2,000 (before duty and tax are added to THAT it would seem!)

I'm getting more depressed about the situation as I type, having no WP or annual ext of stay to ease the way through.

Anyone with experience able to tell me what I'm in for?

I sent a lot of stuff over from the UK with seven seas door to door and did not pay any taxes or duty. You just have to send it over in a Thai's name, I sent it over in my wifes name and she just had to go to customs with ID and say it was her stuff. Thai customs are thieves so do it this way and don't pay the crooks.

• Like 1

I sent a lot of stuff over from the UK with seven seas door to door and did not pay any taxes or duty. You just have to send it over in a Thai's name, I sent it over in my wifes name and she just had to go to customs with ID and say it was her stuff. Thai customs are thieves so do it this way and don't pay the crooks.

This is not completely true. In order for a Thai person to qualify for Import Duty exemption of Household goods. The Thai person has to have been living overseas for at least 1 year

I know of a person who was able to receive allowance for "House Hold goods" with a one year O-A retirement visa from Germany. This was about a month ago.

O-A is a retirement visa, any chance they had an annual extension of stay (easy to obtain) to go with that?

Edited by Marvo

O-A is a retirement visa, any chance they had an annual extension of stay (easy to obtain) to go with that?

It was a one year visa, not a 1 yr extension. I am certain about this (I saw the visa myself).

It's been my experience that anything sent via regular international parcel post has a very good chance of being delivered without customs duty. Even got several large, heavy boxes full of brand new hand tools in from Dubai OK this way.

This is not completely true. In order for a Thai person to qualify for Import Duty exemption of Household goods. The Thai person has to have been living overseas for at least 1 year

It is true cos they never ask to see passport, only ID

Yep. they are using UPS. The biggest Ripoff delivery company in Thailand. Stateside knows about the ongoing problems but does nothing. Also Costa's you sent a personal gift and were lucky. I had some stuff from the States via USPS, value $290 no duty. another $90 delivery and 900b customs. Its just the luck of the draw.

I have had the same experience thaicbr. It's the luck of the draw and the courier. UPS is the worst. 100% problems. DHL close behind but not 100%. I have had 4 boxes sent to me from companies in the US. One came UPS and I got hammered with a 4,200 baht tax valued at $164. Second box came DHL with same story as first box sent UPS and second box with DHL had no tax. Final box sent regular mail and no tax.

You figure it out. Does it help to have a Thai name on the box verses a Falang?

I just bought something from eBay. I paid like 400 bahts for taxes.

You need to tell seller to ship your item as gift or sth of lower values. They don't usually open up your packages. That will save you a lot on taxes.

It is true cos they never ask to see passport, only ID

not in my experience. After we moved back here from the UK they took my Thai passport away and returned it stamped, in Thai, saying that my duty free allowance had been utilised. They needed the passport to check I was actually out of the country for one year.

Another Amazing Thailand experience in which one pays a tax on a tax on a tax on a tax...

I recently imported some tractor parts from Italy and got an unexpectedly high bill for additional charges from the courier, UPS. Imagine my surprise to find from the very friendly and helpful UPS people that 10% duty is applied not only to the goods, but also to the courier charge. Imagine my further surprise to find that Customs stick on a per-kilogram charge BEFORE they calculate the 10% duty, and then imagine my diminishing surprise (by this time) to find that Revenue Department charges 7% VAT on the whole lot, including the duties.

And then imagine my complete lack of surprise to find that there was a further "taxable charge" payable to UPS (presumably for sorting out the above) and yet another 7% VAT on that. So I paid Thai VAT on a service to pay Thai VAT on a Thai duty on a Thai duty.

The figures (Thai Baht) worked out as follows:

a. cost of goods - 2,724.50

b. air freight charge - 4,301

c. Thai customs charge (300 per kilo) - 900

d. insurance (for something or other) - 70

e. Sub-total - 7,995.50

f. Thai customs duty (10%) on ALL of above - 799

g. VAT on both (e) AND (f) - 615

h. Taxable charge - 150

i. VAT on (h) - 10.50

j. Grand total - 9,570

From the above trouser-emptying experience, you can work out that the total import tariff comes to 85% of the value of the goods!! Riap Roi? Or Rip Off?

Not Really Amazed At All

Phang Nga

When I import whatever products from overseas into Netherlands, EU, it goes the same.

Import duty goes over the costs + freight price , when it arrives Dutch sea/air port. So, also over the freight / courrier costs.

Any services done by the courrrier service I also get a VAT over. As this has to be added to the parcel .. the costs delivered port goes up, so .. you pay import duty + VAT over that.

That's why I prefer such parcels to be sent via the post office, simple airmail.

+ EU directive Nr . 918/83 of 28 March 1983: all samples, with a value below ... Euro 22 are by law not to be charged with import duty ( and VAT), but above...

Another Amazing Thailand experience in which one pays a tax on a tax on a tax on a tax...

I recently imported some tractor parts from Italy and got an unexpectedly high bill for additional charges from the courier, UPS. Imagine my surprise to find from the very friendly and helpful UPS people that 10% duty is applied not only to the goods, but also to the courier charge. Imagine my further surprise to find that Customs stick on a per-kilogram charge BEFORE they calculate the 10% duty, and then imagine my diminishing surprise (by this time) to find that Revenue Department charges 7% VAT on the whole lot, including the duties.

And then imagine my complete lack of surprise to find that there was a further "taxable charge" payable to UPS (presumably for sorting out the above) and yet another 7% VAT on that. So I paid Thai VAT on a service to pay Thai VAT on a Thai duty on a Thai duty.

e. Sub-total - 7,995.50

h. Taxable charge - 150

i. VAT on (h) - 10.50

j. Grand total - 9,570

From the above trouser-emptying experience, you can work out that the total import tariff comes to 85% of the value of the goods!! Riap Roi? Or Rip Off?

Not Really Amazed At All

Phang Nga

consult an experienced person who is aware of all import/export duty taxes etc... not thiavisa..

GL :)

you got of lightly i bought fiberglass tubes for fireworks from china which cost 11000 bht with shipping to bkk.it cost me 14000 bht to get them out of customs/handeling agents ,thats like 130%. bloody thai rip off idiots.

e. Sub-total - 7,995.50

h. Taxable charge - 150

i. VAT on (h) - 10.50

j. Grand total - 9,570

Not Really Amazed At All

Phang Nga

Yep. they are using UPS. The biggest Ripoff delivery company in Thailand. Stateside knows about the ongoing problems but does nothing. Also Costa's you sent a personal gift and were lucky. I had some stuff from the States via USPS, value $290 no duty. another $90 delivery and 900b customs. Its just the luck of the draw.

FedEx may be worse. I loved FedEx when in the States, but here, I avoid them like the plague. Here’s my experience. I have a friend Stateside who is retired FedEx. He only pays 25 cents on the dollar for FedEx shipping. He sent me a cute toy stuffed rabbit (do not ask, it was supposed to be a joke) that cost him $12, using FedEx 2nd Day Air. Shipping cost (for him) was $15, which, unfortunately for him, he simply charged to his FedEx account. He enclosed the $12 receipt in the package, honestly declared the contents and the $12 value. The Rabbit arrived with nothing said about taxes or duty. Later that month, he received his statement from FedEx and learned he had been billed $45 in taxes and duty – no breakdown. It was a fait accompli, not worth an appeal – tuition in the school of hard knocks. The rabbit now had cost $72!

Private carriers like FedEx and UPS use private “in-house” customs agents. Here is my theory (I have no facts): I suspect companies like FedEx and UPS are in bed with the Thai government. They collect the highest possible duty from their customers; blame it on the government, then get a percentage, “a commission for their services,” which is incentive to go high. Everybody is happy except the unknowing customer.

Theory Two: Government workers (on both sides of the ocean) are lazy and would rather drink coffee than do a lot of paperwork to assess a duty that they cannot share. That is why I now ship everything by the postal service. If I want to buy something commercially, I have it shipped to a friend in the US, the friend repackages, hand writes a label, declaring the contents to be “gifts and souvenirs” (deliberately vague, but not untrue). I have ordered goods from Australia, the U.K., Hong Kong and Taiwan, shipped via my U.S. friend with this method. I have had more than a dozen shipments like this carrying electronics, tools and parts and have yet to be assessed one baht in tax. This is good for weights of up to about 9 kilos. Looks like AuntieEdna’s shipment weighed 3 kilos, and they skinned her alive. I realize it is a gamble each time, but so far, I am way ahead of the game.

Another method: If you have any friends abroad planning to visit you in Thailand, ship the goods to them – accumulate a pile with your “mule.” Then have them bring it in luggage. I have NEVER had an experience of duty assessed at Suvarnibhumi and you would not believe some of the stuff I have carted in, or had carted in (one time, a small rototiller in luggage, another time, a large selection of Makita lithium ion tools).

I paid my tuition to the school of hard knocks and I listened in class. There is always more than one way to skin a cat.

This thread is scary.

I have 12 cu m (1000kg?) of my UK-life household effects (racking up storage costs as I speak) that I would urgently like to bring into Thailand in a container and if I go through with it, I am starting to feel I will regret the idea once I hit customs.

How will they assess the dutiable value of 10 - 20 year-old household stuff (basically 90% crap!). There are no sales invoices etc. as it's old used personal stuff. As a guide for myself, I've estimated I could replace all "the 90% crap" buying second hand on ebay in the UK for around £6,000. The 10% "sentimental" stuff I can't replace (which unfortunately is inextricably mixed up with all the cr@p).

How on earth do customs decide a value and what rate of duty are they then likely to apply? Shipping alone is likely to be £2,000 (before duty and tax are added to THAT it would seem!)

I'm getting more depressed about the situation as I type, having no WP or annual ext of stay to ease the way through.

Anyone with experience able to tell me what I'm in for?

Absolutely no problem. PM me with a phone number and I'll explain how to bring it in smooth and simple, not even an inspection.

FedEx and UPS will pay whatever it takes to avoid any problems with Customs, then pass the bill on to you.

My wife and her family send things to and from Thailand all the time using the post office. There's no import duties in the US or Thailand on personal property (logical - otherwise everyone would have to pay duty for everything in their suitcase and pockets on arrival in the country). We just fill out the shipping docs with the contents listed as "personal property" and send it. Haven't had a problem in the 7 years this has been going on, probably 20 things sent each way. Everything goes airfreight and gets delivered in a week or 10 days. We've sent packages up to about 2.5 Kgs containing everything except fresh food.

This won't work for commercial merchandise, but family and friends should be able to pick up small things and send to you.

For everyone complaining about the way that courier companies calculate and charge for import Duty and Taxes... don't use them.

Get your self a customs agent to handle customs and delivery. Many companies in Thailand have items shipped via DHL/UPS (because the size of the package is vary small), but use the services of customs agent to do customs clearance.

This is exactly correct.

If you Import on a regular basis, either direct from a manufacturer or using a Courier Company, appoint your own local Customs Clearing Agent, and when the parcel arrives have the Courier Company give the documentation to your Agent to arrange Clearing on your behalf.

The Courier Company will never make any attempt to ensure that the correct Import Duty Rate is applied to the item, they will simply accept whatever Rate the Customs Official decrees, using your own Agent you can translate the Commercial Invoice and supply Brochures etc. for the Customs Officer to examine - you can also indicate the correct Tariff Code which you believe covers the item. The Customs Officer may not accept this of course but you have the opportunity to go to the Customs Office - with your Clearing Agents Representative - and explain exactly what the item is and why you believe a particular Tariff Code (and therefore Import Duty Rate) should be applied.

Once you have set a precedent on the Rate in this way there is usually little problem with future Imports of the same item.

Patrick

Thanks to almost all who responded to my starter message (I'll leave out "madjbs" who thinks I'm silly, "glegolo" who called me a fooll (yes, 2 l's, but there again his member profile says he was a "fotball" coach), and the precocious "imaneggspurt" who delivers a fine turn of phrase considering his member profile says he's only 2 years old).

Anyway, matters arising...

1. If you have a job to do, your equipment breaks down, and you need imported spares immediately, it's just, perhaps, maybe, possible that you are not inclined to spend hours trying to decipher badly written and contradictory Thai government websites, but instead put your trust in a courier company that should know which way's up.

2. As we all know from bitter experience with visa renewals, etc, all Thai government regulations are discretionary and all departments corrupt.

3. My experience of UPS/FedEx/DHL: Remember the DHL advert in 2006 that showed a picture of a poor snow-caked b**tard on an ice floe with a DHL pack on his shoulder and the caption, "Our people go the ends of the earth for you. Evgeniy Darovskikh goes three times a week."? Well it seems that the Khao Lak area, Highway No 4, population of plenty, many large hotels, not much snow, etc, is comfortably off the end of the earth because DHL refuse to deliver there - you have to pick up from their Phuket office. FedEx did a bit better - they got as far as Thai Meuang, got lost, and I drove to meet them. So I tried UPS, subject of this thread, which managed to find my jungle retreat. OK - mafia stories, creative acccounting, etc, etc, but their freight charge was quoted lower than DHL, so my tax on tax on tax was lower, and they delivered to the door.

4. Yes - bringing stuff through the airport in your luggage is the best way, and if you get stopped, the banter can be quite fun, e.g.:

When I imported some Yamaha drums in 1992:

"You have to pay duty on these."

"But the form says TV, hi-fi, etc. It doesn't say drums."

"The form is not perfect."

"It's not a perfect world."

(We sat down on the bench and he offered me a cigarette.)

"If you don't want to pay me something, you don't have to. But if you would like to, you can."

When I imported an A0 digitizing tablet in 1993:

"WHAT is that??!!"

"It's a kind of drawing table."

(We unpacked it, revealing some electronics and wires.)

"It doesn't look like a drawing table."

"It's a special kind of drawing table."

(After a pause.)

"Have you got any money for me? Say Yes."

When I imported a dehumidifier from Hong Kong in 2006:

"What is it?"

I explained. The official then brought out a schedule and a calculator and spent some seconds performing calculations.

"Do you have a receipt?"

I produced the HKD receipt, he pulled out another schedule and carried out performing calculations. Then he looked up at me expectantly.

"Well... how much do I pay?"

"Up to you!"

I have learned a lot from all your replies, and now hope that "Phitsanulok", who cryptically offered to explain by phone how to import personal effects without inspection, shares his knowledge with the rest of us.

I have learned a lot from all your replies, and now hope that "Phitsanulok", who cryptically offered to explain by phone how to import personal effects without inspection, shares his knowledge with the rest of us.

Yes auntyedna, I too would like "Phitsanulok" to illuminate us all. I have so far resisted the temptation to attempt to contact by phone for a private consultation session.

Being a freight forwarder myself, I'd like to clarify some statements made in this thread.

1) the way the duties and taxes were calculated for the OP is correct and done the same way all over the world - as far as I know and as stated by other posters before.

2) Most people who complain about rip-offs are those who do not consult with a freight forwarder before they import. Many misunderstandings can be clarified before they occur if the importer has a clear understanding of the process prior importing.

3) Duties are imposed on the VALUE and NOT the purchase price of an item. As for the case with the silver coins, it is indeed the value you will be taxed with. Moreover, customs officers all over the world have the duty to challenge the values stated in the invoice as it is their job to impose import duties on the correct value.

4) It is further the duty of the customs officer to find the highest possible duty rate as he represents the interest of the country collecting duties. The freight forwarder, as a representative of the importer and fighting for his interest, tries to find the lowest possible tariff for the same item. Thailand customs are actually easier to negotiate with than in other countries. Bear in mind that the customs tariff is harmonized and the tariff numbers apply all over the world!

Example: I had years ago the case with dive masks. Customs officer wanted to classify as "other products made from rubber" = 40% duties. We argued that this is "sporting equipment" = 15% duties and settled on this rate.

I don't know. You all write a lot of things. Somebody of you tried to search in Google about "income tax thailand"? This work very well!!! :)

The most important you find here:

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Sampl...?menuNme=Sample

The tax rate is different about what you want import and from where. The cheapest rates are from ASEAN-Countries. It's like EG in Europe.

And for shure, the cheapest way is seafreight, because the freightcosts are much more lower. But you must wait between 4-6 weeks. Sometimes it's a good idea to wait a little bit longer and pay much more smaller. But FARANGS must become everything Quick!!!! :D

• 1 month later...

Just imported a PC part (very small) from the USA had the company state it was a gift with no commercial value on the paperwork, the actual item value is $149 + $25 shipping, they want 700bt at customs love to know how they assume the value to come up with 700bt (as there is no value stated on the paperwork:) anyhow been here over 12yrs so been through all this b4, i haggled with them at customs and they brought it down to 400bt.

Dont forget the fact that we also have the added inconvenience of having to go all the way to the customs office (350bt in Taxis fares for me, 2way) also you dont get a dr to dr delivery (with customs held goods with EMS)

The above was via USPS and the Thai postal service here.

BTW: Do not use Fedex/DHL/UPS etc to import goods here they will rip you off like there's no tomorrow!!

Edited by beekaykay

To be honest... the absolute worst thing you can ever do is put "gift, no commercial value" on the invoice, this raises a red flag for customs...

If they see this statement and no value is listed on the invoice then they will interepret as follows: "Thai customs can assess at any value they feel is fair" which is usually higher than the actual invoice value.

If they see this statement and a value is listed... then they will normally interpret as follows: "The value listed is more than likely undervalued and does not represent the actual value of Goods"

Do your self a favour and just use the actual value of goods...

• 1 month later...

I just have a quick question, hope this topic is still hot to warrant a reply as I am frustrated with searching on the internet for nothing.

I am an expat working in a hotel doing event management. My clients are all corporate companies coming to do their meetings/seminars here. THey usually send their meeting materials like welcome packs, gifts for their delegates etc via a courier company like FedEx / DHL etc. and they usually list my name as the receiver as I am the one coordinating all their event, and as they usually do not arrive before the package.

WHat I would like to know is:-

1. Fedex is always asking me as a receiver of these packages, to list the items sent and the materials they are made from, and to list them in Thai. From what I know, everything is already listed in the airway bill, and I'm sure they can read English, is this actually necessary or are they just out to irk me?

2. One of the options to clear customs for these packages is to clear it under my personal name, and that I would have to send them a copy of my passport. I am ok with this except the last time I did this, I got a notice 2 months after the group has left, that I owe the Thai Customs some outstanding duty charges. Unfortunately the notice was entirely in Thai, so I don't know what exactly it was that I owe them, but it was about THB 200. It's a small amount but if I am to do this for every group, it does make a difference to me. I know it's not the import duty as that was paid upon delivery to the courier company. So I would like to know what is it I've paid and how to avoid it.

I hope to get some ideas soon as I have another package stuck at customs and they won't clear it until I send them my passport details.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

WE just got shafted too...

I ordered a SAMPLE package from a distributer to be sent to the wifes shop

it was in her name wrote in THAI

Was sent via DHL

She got asked to pay 600 baht and did so without challenging why.

The guy told her if the package was worth less than $5 she didnt have to pay

Then i asked what and how did the 600 baht get calculated..

She says that their is a reciept in the package that says $18

so even if that's true (which i am still waiting for her return home and a big fight over how incompetent she is)

she just got taxed 100% from DHL

your not alone suckers...

She says that their is a reciept in the package that says $18

so even if that's true (which i am still waiting for her return home and a big fight over how incompetent she is)

could it be that customs opened the package, found the 18$ receipt and assessed the value accordingly? Please do your homework first before slagging off Thai customs in this and at least one other thread.

1. Fedex is always asking me as a receiver of these packages, to list the items sent and the materials they are made from, and to list them in Thai. From what I know, everything is already listed in the airway bill, and I'm sure they can read English, is this actually necessary or are they just out to irk me?

Thai customs want to know what you are importing. There should be a Packing List and an invoice, but this is more than often not sufficient to describe the goods. THE AWB does not list any goods, or just a brief description. The Thai translation shows that the people handling customs clearance at FedEx have not been issued a talking dict.

2. One of the options to clear customs for these packages is to clear it under my personal name, and that I would have to send them a copy of my passport. I am ok with this except the last time I did this, I got a notice 2 months after the group has left, that I owe the Thai Customs some outstanding duty charges. Unfortunately the notice was entirely in Thai, so I don't know what exactly it was that I owe them, but it was about THB 200. It's a small amount but if I am to do this for every group, it does make a difference to me. I know it's not the import duty as that was paid upon delivery to the courier company. So I would like to know what is it I've paid and how to avoid it.

I hope to get some ideas soon as I have another package stuck at customs and they won't clear it until I send them my passport details.

For this shipment too late as it is already in your name. For future shipments, you may ask the hotel to be the consignee. They can write off all the costs encumbered whereas you as a private person cannot.

As for the 200 Baht, send me a scan of the document to my e-mail raro [at] thaivisa.com and I'll have a look at it.

• 2 years later...

If this topic isn't already closed try this :- if the item/s being shipped are not too large or heavy, use the good old Post Office ( EMS service ) either to or from Thailand. No import duty etc and I've sent small packages both ways several times. UPS -- definately worth a miss, I found out the expensive way shipping from Thailand to the UK -- rip off