Running Shoes

Siki

Need to buy some good running shoes. Any suggestions of a reasonable store to do this would be appreciated.

The Nike and all name brand stores that I looked at are flooded with marketing gimmick, fad of the month type expensive stuff. All of their shoes are very similar in build but come with very different names and colors. The sales people seem to know very little about the shoes except that you should buy the one that the happen to have in stock.

Does anyone know where they have a wide selection of shoes and sales people that know their shoes?

Aloha

Siki

Re: Running shoes: The matter is more complicated than you perhaps realize, first of all you must establish your own running status, i.e. are you a walker or a runner, if you are a runner, then what type of runner, long distance or short distance, and where do you do your running, in streets, trails, or fells, all those matters are important when selecting running shoes.

Then you need to establish your physical running style footwise, is it ... overpronation, or supination, (and to what extent) or neutral, and then whether you are a heel striker or forefoot striker important matters in order to avoid serious injuries not just for your feet, but for the whole of your body due to spine damage resulting from running in the wrong shoes.

When you have established the above, then you know which shoes to go for i.e. motion control shoes, stabilzing shoes, or neutral shoes, you can then go for the appropriate shoes from the following names... Asics, Brooks, Adidas, Saucony, Nike, Mizuno, etc ...

Unfortunately, they are not easily available in Thailand, try the big Dept stores, in BKK or C/Mai but even if the do have any of the above names they may not be of the type outlined above, and the sizes are often to small for farangs because running shoes must be a 1/2" bigger/ longer than one's normal shoes, therefore you have to go and buy online via the UK. or the US. it is worth doing because the health benefits of running, but if you only want to 'strut' as opposed to sportive running then go for any type of plimsoll shoe (trainer) as long as the "colour is fashionable" what?

Re: Running shoes: The matter is more complicated than you perhaps realize, first of all you must establish your own running status, i.e. are you a walker or a runner, if you are a runner, then what type of runner, long distance or short distance, and where do you do your running, in streets, trails, or fells, all those matters are important when selecting running shoes.

Then you need to establish your physical running style footwise, is it ... overpronation, or supination, (and to what extent) or neutral, and then whether you are a heel striker or forefoot striker important matters in order to avoid serious injuries not just for your feet, but for the whole of your body due to spine damage resulting from running in the wrong shoes.

When you have established the above, then you know which shoes to go for i.e. motion control shoes, stabilzing shoes, or neutral shoes, you can then go for the appropriate shoes from the following names... Asics, Brooks, Adidas, Saucony, Nike, Mizuno, etc ...

Unfortunately, they are not easily available in Thailand, try the big Dept stores, in BKK or C/Mai but even if the do have any of the above names they may not be of the type outlined above, and the sizes are often to small for farangs because running shoes must be a 1/2" bigger/ longer than one's normal shoes, therefore you have to go and buy online via the UK. or the US. it is worth doing because the health benefits of running, but if you only want to 'strut' as opposed to sportive running then go for any type of plimsoll shoe (trainer) as long as the "colour is fashionable" what?

:)

• 2 months later...
Hello Siki

About running shoes,many friends have already given your good advice. I would like to add an advice. When you buy the shoes in store, it's better at afternoon, and try some steps in the store or near the store if the store-keeper don't object.

Have a good time.

Sorry I need to ask. Why is it better to buy in the afternoon?

Hello Siki

About running shoes,many friends have already given your good advice. I would like to add an advice. When you buy the shoes in store, it's better at afternoon, and try some steps in the store or near the store if the store-keeper don't object.

Have a good time.

Because you will have been up and walking around and your feet will have swelled slightly. If you buy in the morning they may be a little tight and uncomfortable when you later start running in them.

Hello Siki

Have a good time.

Because you will have been up and walking around and your feet will have swelled slightly. If you buy in the morning they may be a little tight and uncomfortable when you later start running in them.

Good answer!!!

(I was hoping for something less scientific :) )

There is a shop in MBK selling Saucony and Brooks I believe. Cannot remember the floor, but looks like they are more geared towards runners.

There is a Saucony and a New Balance shop in Central World.

The SportsWorld style store in Central World sells the higher end Asics shoes also, but I wouldn't imagine the staff could give much advice on them.