Computer Club At Tuskers

eek

Nope i didnt know about that link. Tnx.

I kept noticing the ad in Events in the CM Mail. All they have listed is: The Chiang Mai Computer Club: Tuesdays 1 p.m. at Tuskers Bar. Info: 087-180-4665. It would be more helpful if they put their website details in the Events ad. Maybe someone will pass it on..or ill send them an email/msg.

Ok..so the question is in the title.

What actually goes on at the computer club?? :)

:D

If all a person does is write email and read the news, then they probably won't get much out of it. If they use use different programs, jump around the web, use wireless, try new things, read Wanda Sloan and try her suggestions, etc., you get invaluable info.

The first 3 weeks of the month is "technical", the 4th week is bring laptops, and do live work (Tuskers has wireless access).

The club follows an agenda that really makes the difference in the meetings. Members can go on the web site and enter whatever issues they want to cover and those will be guaranteed to be addressed. The issues can be PC, MAC, and/or Ubuntu; doesn't matter. You want to discuss something, the club discusses it.

We have some members (one in particular) whose hobbies are trying out new and improved hardware. This one individual reported on his success in transmitting his wireless around his moobaan and being able to get a signal driving up Doi Sutep.

We have discussed how to use sling box to get live TV from the US 24 hours a day at no cost after buying the H/W.

If you have any interest in the computer, how it works, and how to expand how you use it, you will be amazed at how much you can learn and how much you enjoy coming to the meetings.

I'd like to post on the club's forum web site, but it requires administrator approval. So if anyone knows an administrator, tell them to check for recent signups and approve them. :)

There was recently some trouble with a bunch of Russians taking over the host of the web site for apparently nefarious purposes, which was still having the effect, last I heard, of preventing some functions on the web site from being performed. This could be one of them.

I visited the computer club 2 years ago with a friend.

Wasn’t very impressed. Most of the meeting involved some loud American speaking to the group; no one else could get a word in. Except for the speaker, never saw anyone there under the age of 70.

If you are an advanced computer user than you may find this club boring, mostly someone giving a talk about the basics and that was it.

You have quite an ability to draw conclusions, sassienie, from a single experience two years in the past. It may well be that most of the time you draw correct ones, but I can assure you from experience, which while albeit limited is not nearly as limited as yours and is much more recent, that in this case you are quite and utterly wrong. :)

Hubby attends the meetings regularly and I've been to a couple. He especially likes the opportunity to order lunch from the Tusker's menu and drink a beer during the meetings. My observation is that the average age of the members is less than 70 but probably over 50, but younger people are always welcome.

Because of what he's learned at computer club, I'm able to watch TV shows that are suppose to be available only to US viewers, and he's hooked up our computer to our dinosaur TV. That took a bit of doing, but the computer club geeks guided him thru it over several weeks of meetings.

Sure this is stuff he could have learned about from searching the internet, but it's always nice to ask about something in person, especially while enjoying Tusker's food and beer.

Hubby attends the meetings regularly and I've been to a couple. He especially likes the opportunity to order lunch from the Tusker's menu and drink a beer during the meetings. My observation is that the average age of the members is less than 70 but probably over 50, but younger people are always welcome.

Because of what he's learned at computer club, I'm able to watch TV shows that are suppose to be available only to US viewers, and he's hooked up our computer to our dinosaur TV. That took a bit of doing, but the computer club geeks guided him thru it over several weeks of meetings.

Sure this is stuff he could have learned about from searching the internet, but it's always nice to ask about something in person, especially while enjoying Tusker's food and beer.

NancyL described it very well; come and share and learn, have a nice lunch, meet new people.

Anyone interested in computers should come to (a) provide help to others and/or (:) receive help from others. Some of us older types have been using computers and a whole multitude of different programs for 20-30 years, so we have intentionally learned a lot. And then we experiment with other programs, try things Wanda Sloan recommends, etc., and inadvertantly learn even more. It is surprising how broad the knowledge base is in the club.

Attendance should be based on what you want to learn and share, not on age of the members. But, maybe most importantly, use the web site and the agenda attached to each meeting notice and add what you want to talk about. That insures you get your specific questions answered at the meeting. And the leader is very accepting to the group suggesting that we may have strayed off the subject if one member starts dominating the discussion.

And, of course, you can limit attendance to only those meetings whose agendas interest you.

I'd like to post on the club's forum web site, but it requires administrator approval. So if anyone knows an administrator, tell them to check for recent signups and approve them. :)

I am the admin for the Chiang Mai Computer Club. Currently the email notification system is not working and so I do not get notified (nor do you) when you register. As a result I check manually every day or so. We've been getting a lot of suspected spam registrations, so I have to do some checking before approval. I have approved your registration and you should get an email confirmation from me shortly.

Anyone wanting to know what goes on should read the Meeting Notes and the Meeting Announcements.

-BD

• 2 weeks later...