Shop Help?

bangbuathongben

Hello all, this is a thread that I am hoping will make my life easier when i return to Thailand. I am a British man who has a thai wife, and I am curently in the process of setting up my own shop, a sandwich shop. This is where I need some help, more ideas the better. I have premises and a great design for the interior of my shop. The one thing that I am struggling with is where to buy my produce. The sort of things like cooked meats, varietys of bread and decent cheeses. I currently have a Macro card, but as good as this is for salads and tinned goods these products are unobtainable. So I was hoping that if I placed a thread on the subject, then maybe some people would have some ideas or even previous experience in this matter. Thanks in advance for any help.

Foodland has a pretty fair deli counter and there is reasonable locally produced sliced meats (Ham, Salami) produced available in most supermarkets. Some of the expat butchers scattered around Thailand also have decent sliced meat.

Cheeses and bread are the age old expat dilemma I'm afraid but they are both starting to make an appearence in Thailand. Personally I find the French Bread in Tescos very reasonable indeed.

I already mentioned this one here: Eurofood, importer and distributor of dried meat, fresh salmon, smoked salmon, oysters, cheese, pasta, wine...

Eurofood (Eurofashion Ltd), Sukhumvit 63

Tel: 02 391 7462, 391 7571

Fax: 02 391 9133 [email protected]

-Check the restaurant/bakery/butchery Bei Otto on Sukhumvit 20.

-Also UFM Food: It's at the end of Sukhumvit 33/1 (next to Villa Market). It's a pastry/bread school + factory. They deliver to supermarkets in BKK. In the office there is a lady who speaks fluently English, ask for their brochure; they are able to make bread, cakes or prepare anything you order.

They also have a shop (facing the parking lot) where you'll find paper,

plastic and styroform containers, ingredients, utensils, etc...

Hey!You stole my idea!

Just kidding and there is plenty of room for more sandwich shops.

Mine will be delicatessens like NYC's Stage and Carnegie delis with overstuffed hot corned beef and pastrami sandwiches.

Hope to have a chain to rival the Pizza Company then franchise it to China,Singapore,etc.

There are Subways and a couple Amazing Sandwich shops in Chiang Mai as competition.

Get a good name and a domain name for it.I already have my dotcom name and website in development and plan to cater and deliver throughout BKK.

Hope we can establish a friendly rivalry! :o

Thanks for all the positive comments made. And seeing as the feedback was so helpfull, does anybody know of any shopfitting compainies that would be worth speaking to about the construction of the interior of my premises. I have the design and drawings so this should be a straight forward make and fit (if there is such a thing in Thailand) So I was just wondering if anybody knew or had any idea on this type of thing. Can someone point me in the right direction.........

Thank you all for replying to my thread you have been a great help. You are all invited for a free sandwich for your support (when the shop opens in 2 months time) Oh and it is situated in The Mall Bang Khae.... so feel free to come and give me some feedback on my venture......

That's just up the road from me - I'll be claiming my free sarnie!!

Though maybe my post was not so helpful as the others, especially if you don't remember Arthur Dent who found it was his only skill when broke on a strange planet.

On the more constructive side, about 3 km down the main Petch Kasem road where the Mall Bang Kae is, towards Bangkok, on the left, is the roadside market which has lots of fresh produce, especially veg. It's actually very good.

Location of shop, roughly? :o

Shola,

I remember a nice little sanwich shop on suk soi 33/1, opposite the Bulls head.

Owner was a nice Irish lady me think.

Yummy sanwiches anyway.....

just my 2 satang

Sally is the gals name and I think she helps out at O'Reill'ys now on Silom.

Foodland have a wholesale division run by a German guy.

Cheese I would suggest Carrefour.

Bread you can buy direct from Au Bon Pain.

Location of shop, roughly? :o

Shola,

I remember a nice little sanwich shop on suk soi 33/1, opposite the Bulls head.

Owner was a nice Irish lady me think.

Yummy sanwiches anyway.....

just my 2 satang

Sally is the gals name and I think she helps out at O'Reill'ys now on Silom.

Foodland have a wholesale division run by a German guy.

Cheese I would suggest Carrefour.

Bread you can buy direct from Au Bon Pain.

Yeah I go for Au bon pan( or Au bon Pang as I call it! :D ) whenever I come accross one, but unfortunatly I don't live anywhere near one!

I make my own sarnys at home, but it's not the same as a yummy one from a deli!

2 Satang I will check out that sarny shop next time I'm around that way :D