Laos Hotel Information Please

PastEgo

Does anyone know of any hotels in Laos that

-accept visa I will be staing a few nights so do not want to pay cash via the ATM

-have a safe in the room or a main safe with the reception

somewhere in the $40-$60 price range please

thanks in advance

The only one I know of that will fit your requet is The Lao Plaza Hotel, however it will set you back around 8000-10000 bt per night(U.S.$210), now mine you this was a few year back now(???) :):D I would suggest changing some cash to Baht, I heard recently and I know for a fact a few years back when I was there ATMs nil to none, there is a Bangkok Bank and a Siam Commerical Bank in the capital Vientiane but as I recall service was limited. :D:D:D:D

Edited by BigSnake

I am sure there is quite a few that'll take visa these days - which ones are I couldn't tell you since I ain't stayed in a hotel in Laos for over 4 years! I'd hazard a guess the Taipan would take cards . . the thing is paying with a card anywhere in Laos they will pass the 3% bank fee directly to you.

However ATMs are absolutely EVERYWHERE these days - yes about 2 years ago the only International ATM was at the BCEL bank next to the Mekhong however now you are tripping over the things! Also official money exchanges are also common gone are the days of getting better exchange rates at the gold shops or market stalls.

If you live in Thailand just bring Baht over and pay the hotel in Baht - simple!

We stayed at the Three Nagas in Luang Prabang a couple of times in 2007, 2008 and I'm pretty sure they took Visa. It's a fantastic hotel in an old French colonial building, well located but a bit expensive - rates start around $US107 a night.

Rosie

I stayed at the new Vientiane City Inn and it's really pefect, wifi also working well, 2200 thb.

They have website.

Wow! That is a good price - I thought it would be $100+.

It does look a very nice new hotel - in a good location as well.

Not that I will ever need to stay at it - but interesting to know there prices.

Does anyone know of any hotels in Laos that

-accept visa I will be staing a few nights so do not want to pay cash via the ATM

-have a safe in the room or a main safe with the reception

somewhere in the $40-$60 price range please

thanks in advance

Try these places (Not in any particular order):

Hotel Beau Rivage Mekong

Nice place on the river, but a little bit further out of town. Lovely and quiet with a decent restaurant. definitely takes VISA, but I'm not sure about the safe.

Lao Orchid Hotel (Not to be confused with the Orchid Guesthouse)

They used to have a website but it seems to be offline at the moment. I think for the money this is the best place in town. Definitely takes Visa and closer to restaurants and sights. Not sure about the safe.

Hotel Khamvongsa

Recently opened, but looks great. On a slightly busier street, but don't let that put you off. I've been inside and it looks lovely. Very cheap rooms too. They take Visa card but I'm not sure about the safe.

All these places are worth staying at, and safe to leave valuables in. If you do need money, look out for the ANZV ATM's which are springing up everywhere. These let you withdraw 2,000,000 kip at a time rather than the 700,000kip limit the others seem to have.