Thai Airways Stuck With Airbus Jumbo

george

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Airbus made the SO wrong mistake by retiring the concorde and instead built the a380. I hope the a380 lands on a scrapyard! I want to go back to the future. Concorde flew for 27 years without one single accident! , The one in Paris wasn't caused by the concorde itself but by debrie on the runway throwen up by the tires and hitting the fuel tanks.

I flew Concorde once, very cramped and expensive, but DAMNED fast getting you there.

I would have loved they do a Concorde II.

I was not far off when the one went down in Paris, a few klicks off, driving along.

Heard it... bloody miserable day that was.

Tentatively, each of THAI's A380s would be designed to carry 500 passengers, compared to 471 on SIA's first A380, which made its maiden flight from Singapore to Sydney last Thursday.

An A380 could accommodate up to 853 passengers in an all-economy configuration. The upper deck of THAI's A380 caters to premium passengers, with 14 first-class seats in the front section and up to 68 business-class seats behind. The 418 economy-class seats would occupy the entire lower deck.

"Our A380 concept is zeroing in on our hallmark -- passenger comfort and services with the touch of Thai-ness, without being too lavish," Mr Pandit said.

http://www.tg-elearning.com/mambo/index.ph...9&Itemid=59

Got to love his frank description of his idea of service!

I think the 'too lavish' he was referring to was the suites that Singapore Air and Emirates chose. Thai is just planning to have standard first class seating. Also Singapore Air has very wide business class seats on the A380, perhaps the widest business class seats of any airline. Some people even complain that they're too wide and dislike not being able to have better positioned arm rests closer in. My guess is that Thai will also use more standard width business class seats.

I recently booked return first class London to Bangkok with Emirates for £1500 while the equivalent with Thai was more than double this.

Flying 2 legs on the A380. Some airlines have the good sense to fill their planes regardless of whether they are 'lavish' or not.

Might not get the same deal again but more likely to fly with them again if I enjoy the trip.

Like the Concord has nothing to do with the OP, neither does the Paris wreck have anything to do

with them going kaput, nor the multimillion Dollar wrongful death lawsuits.

Ultimately the A380 will bankrupt Airbus, sooner after one goes down, as the airframe matures.

Who is buying bigger SUV's.

BR>Jack

Spoken as an genuine American patriot, who is a little(?) bit sour that after the collapse of the American car industry also in the aircraft industry is not any longer the biggest in the world.

having the whole top floor for first and business class is inspired. It means that they will still have some seats available for paying customers after they have given out all the freebies to their staff and politicians. You see they really knew what they were doing back in toxin's time

Similar to the failing Elite Card program, one reason Thai Airways is on the ropes is because of the many freebies given to VIP's and insiders.

Not yet to mention the money they spend on crew accomodations, why a captain on a Chiang Mai flight should sleep in a suite room in one of the best hotels in town. To name only this small example.