Backpackers Work For Lodging And Meals

you can look it up at wwoof.org

There are about a dozen hosts in Thailand, and hundreds of hosts throughout the rest of the world, particularly western Europe.

Young farang, usually between 18 and 28 years old, sign up with the program, and for a modest fee, get lists of 'hosts.' They then email and inquire about details of what's going on (and what's required) at places that interest them.

I've been a host for several months, and each of the dozens of wwoofers I've met are fine folks. Not one bad apple in the bunch.

Interestingly, all the wwoofers are farang. Not one Asian or Thai has inquired. I asked a Thai friend why that is, and he said, effect; "Educated Thais look down on doing manual work. It's beneath them."

Too bad, it would be a great opportunity for them to rub shoulders with others from around the world, practice English, and probably learn interesting skills. For example, some of the activities at my acrerage include: propagating plants (including splicing), setting up solar panels, unique building methods that produce structures as strong as conventional ones the same size, but use half the materials. Plus, needless to say, the wwoofers and I share many interesting conversations on every topic under the sun.

Meanwhile, the majority of the youth of Thailand are stuck in intern programs getting 20 to 40 baht per day doing grunt work in office buildings. If you don't believe me, ask any recent students what they do during most of their waking hours - right after graduating from College.

Be careful wih programs like this in Thailand. Because of the Thai labour law you need a work permit and both host and wwoofer can be prosecuted.

that's the 1st mention I've heard in that vein. There's no money exchange and the wwoofers wind up staying a few days on average. It's much like having one or more family members show up to help out in the garden in exchange for a place to stay and some food.

I guess in the strictest sense, if your niece and nephew showed up to turn the soil in your garden area, you could say they'd need to have work permits, etc. ....seems unlikely.

Sounds pretty neat. How many do you have at one time and where do you put them up?

I've groups of 5 and 7, but mostly people staying solo and as couples. They stay in a self-contained, self-standing spacious apartment with kitchen - on my property.

Be careful wih programs like this in Thailand. Because of the Thai labour law you need a work permit and both host and wwoofer can be prosecuted.

that's the 1st mention I've heard in that vein. There's no money exchange and the wwoofers wind up staying a few days on average. It's much like having one or more family members show up to help out in the garden in exchange for a place to stay and some food.

I guess in the strictest sense, if your niece and nephew showed up to turn the soil in your garden area, you could say they'd need to have work permits, etc. ....seems unlikely.

It is more or less the same as with volunteering. Under normal circumstances nobody will be bothered with it. But if you have a beef with someone you are in a precarious situation, the same goes in the case of an accident while they are working for you.

I don't want to scare anyone off, but do consider what I said.

I have thought about having wwoofers help out on the farm when the Tamarind season is in full swing, but knowing the laws about sueing the local council because a paving stone caused them to trip [uSA EUROPE} i thought better of it,

I would think a way round this is to get them to read and sign a disclaimer, also there travel insurance should cover most eventuallities, as long as they dont state they were working,albeit free,

Cheers, Lickey..

One use of the anti-volunteer law was to get rid of some of the tsunami volunteers. I have been told by certain restaurant owners here that if they were being targetted and were even seen to lift a customer's glass off a table, they could be in trouble for "working." So, your mileage may vary; you're in the best position to judge your own relative risk.