Shipping Personal Effects Out

pauleddy

Variation on old thread--Shipping

I need to spend time in Spain for family stuff. I can fly Bus Class so that will allow for about two large suitcases and hand luggage (sound right?).

It looks like I will have clothes/books/small items enough for ANOTHER two large cases or two teachests. I cannot reduce more. I will not take furniture, TV etc.

Unlike some posters, I don't need half a container.

Should I try for excess baggage with the airline? Thai EMS? A shipper? It will be door to door. DHL want about 11,000b for one 20kg box (I will need about five), but EMS is not much cheaper.

Are there any customs procedures?

All experiences/comments gratefully received.

P Ed

Would be interested in any Recent experiences with this as well, as want to ship some stuff from UK here.

I need to spend time in Spain for family stuff. I can fly Bus Class so that will allow for about two large suitcases and hand luggage (sound right?).

It looks like I will have clothes/books/small items enough for ANOTHER two large cases or two teachests. I cannot reduce more. I will not take furniture, TV etc.

Should I try for excess baggage with the airline? Thai EMS? A shipper? It will be door to door. DHL want about 11,000b for one 20kg box (I will need about five), but EMS is not much cheaper.

P Ed

Would be interested in any Recent experiences with this as well, as want to ship some stuff from UK here.

P Ed

Fine! Do u think I shd post this on Travel and Migration???

• 3 weeks later...

bon chance!

P Ed

Fine! Do u think I shd post this on Travel and Migration???

Maybe you could ask to share some space with someone who is also shipping their goods abroad.

I have just had all my stuff shipped to UK with Crown and they did an excellent job. They were very thorough about packing and my things arrived 6 weeks later.

I had a single 21' container but there was enough space for other goods and would have been happy to have someone ride in on my shipment for a small fee.

Extra luggage is charged per kilo... something like 1,300 Baht per extra kilo depending on the airline and so 2 cases full is going to be 50k ++ making shipping much cheaper.

My only issue is that they fumigated my shipment and everything has an odd smell which is slowly going.

• 3 weeks later...

Tango 7, would you post contact details for Crown (haven't heard of them) and tell us how much it cost for the short container (door to door)? I guess the fumigation is a UK requirement, rather than the shippers, I recall importing some wooden products to UK from Chiang Mai many years back and it had to be sprayed.

I'm in the reverse process, shipping some things from Canada to Thailand.

However, I'm most interested in the handling of it once it arrives in Bangkok. Are there shippers that one uses going either direction, that are reliable and not too costly?

Info on shipping companies in Thailand that handle this kind of thing much appreciate.

Excess baggage is charged at 1% of the First Class fare, per kilo.

Check with the airline about Unaccompanied Baggage rates, they are cheaper.

Have your checked out the clearing of goods when you reach Spain??