Southern Insurgency

cdnvic

I haven't seen much in the news about southern unrest this year. Are things calming down or has it just become old news?

I suggest you study daily the following URL :

www.nationmultimedia.com

www. bangkokpost.com

and you can see that nothing changed and nearly every day there are dead and/or injured in the southern region. A favorite target are the teachers, since 2004, 155 teachers have been murdered

I read them regularly but I'd noticed there being less and less reports of incidents. I wasn't sure if this meant anything because I know the Thai media are very prone to adjusting reporting due to political pressure.

Actually ThaiVisa used to be one of the best places to get updates. There used to be a couple of people who regularly posted in a thread dedicated to the situation in the Southern Provinces. I don't know what happened to it, but I know it used to attract some pretty negative comments on certain groups and could be quite vitrolic at times.

The situation is improving and the insurgents have changed some of their tactics which seem to indicate either more financing or better training or possibly outside influence.

Actually ThaiVisa used to be one of the best places to get updates. There used to be a couple of people who regularly posted in a thread dedicated to the situation in the Southern Provinces. I don't know what happened to it, but I know it used to attract some pretty negative comments on certain groups and could be quite vitrolic at times.

The situation is improving and the insurgents have changed some of their tactics which seem to indicate either more financing or better training or possibly outside influence.

The Perspective insert in last Sunday's Bangkok Post had a good article. Written by an Australian cultural anthropologist who has been studying the situation the last four years, he interviewed two jailed insurgents. One a general in the movement, one a bomb maker.

Common denominator for both was they were recruited in the religious schools, taught that Buddhist Siam had stolen their lands (Sultanate of Pattani).

Until Thailand grants these people some type of statehood, lets them run their Sharia law in this created state, the insurgency will continue.

I think someone have spread the hatred among them to Thai Buddhist..... I have many Thai friends.... both of them whether Muslim or non Muslim... they're study in public university in Thailand

I see they can unite together.... no racist happened among them.... even Thai Muslim coming from Narathiwat, they still become friend with Thai Buddhist / christian......