New Passport

You were stamped in using a re-entry permit for an extension of stay? If so you visit immigration to transfer the extension of stay stamps into your new passport. If you only have a visa for entry you will have to carry two passports until you obtain a new visa.

Edited by lopburi3

It would depend if you are on a visa or on an extension of stay from immigration. Since you got your new passport abroad I guess you still have a valid O-A visa or a multiple entry non-O, then you need to carry both passports.

He was not asking about extensions of stay and really did not say what he has or if he qualifies - so the only thing we can say for sure is if visa entry only the permitted to stay can be moved to new passport (not the visa itself). If extension of stay it can be moved and old passport retired.

" If you only have a visa for entry you will have to carry two passports until you obtain a new visa."

He can't extend it?

Yes he can extend it, if he wants to. In that case immigration will just copy the details of his visa and permission to stay in het new passport and gives him the extension in his new passport.

What immigration cannot do is transfer a visa itself. So while the visa is still valid he has to use both passports. When he gets an extension of stay and the details are copied or he gets a new visa he only has to use the new passport.

Mario, sorry, I do not agree. While in Thailand with several ret visa based on a non im O visa from years ago I got my new passport at the Royal Netherlands Embassy in Bangkok. Once at the Immigration Nongkhai for my 90 days paper they saw my new passport and asked for a piece of paper the Embassy should have given to me. Some embassies do, the Dutch does not. So they gave that to me and I had to fill in my numbers etc.

Than they transferred the existing valid ret visa into it, my entry card, the stamp of my latest "come into the country" and some other things. And they wrote some stuff in Thai in my old passport on the first blank page.

Now I need the old passport only for a copy of the old non im O and all old ret visa when I want a new ret visa.

It is important to keep all old passports. Never throw them away !

...Than they transferred the existing valid ret visa into it, my entry card, the stamp of my latest "come into the country" and some other things. And they wrote some stuff in Thai in my old passport on the first blank page.

Sorry, Prajak, but you are mistaken. Immigration did not transfer the visa, ie the stamp you had received from a Thai consulate, to the new passport. They made an annotation about it in the new passport, but did not transfer it. This annotation is usually in the form of a stamp in Thai with the addition of some handwritten details.

Now I need the old passport only for a copy of the old non im O and all old ret visa when I want a new ret visa.

When you say "ret visa" do you really mean "visa" or do you mean "extension of stay"? I think it is the latter.

Nong Khai may not be very knowledgeable about doing things, but in other places you do not need to show your old passport with the original non-immigrant visa for the rest of your life. The annotation in the new passport about the visa in the old passport is sufficient and the information about your current extension of stay in the new passport is usually sufficient for a subsequent extension of stay, but Nong Khai has a reputation for doing some things differently.

--

Maestro

The non im O has not been transferred, it's true what you say. I have to keep that old passport and show it every time I want a new ret visa. They did transfer some other things but, I checked it, did not put a signature on it. So it is important just in case some police officer wants to see your ID while you are carrying the new passport only.

The non im O has not been transferred, it's true what you say. I have to keep that old passport and show it every time I want a new ret visa. They did transfer some other things but, I checked it, did not put a signature on it. So it is important just in case some police officer wants to see your ID while you are carrying the new passport only.

As Maestro said, it most be a local thing. Nobody drives around with his old and new passport, after immigration has transfered the details and permission to stay to your new passport.

I never show my old passport with the original visa in it for an extension, only the new passport.

Once extension of stay is transferred you should not need the old passport for anything. You surly do not need to show an expired passport to any police officer for ID. Your current passport is your ID and has your permission to stay. Only when using multi entry visa for entry do you need to keep an old passport (if you want to use the visa again).