15 Northeastern Provinces Warned Of Flash Floods

george

15 northeastern provinces warned of flash floods

BANGKOK: --- The Meteorological Department Monday warned residents of 15 northeastern provinces to brace themselves for heavy rains and possible flash floods.

Rewat Tokpudsa, a forecast official of the department, said the heavy rains would be unleashed by the influence of the low-pressure ridge over the North and upper Northeast couple with the southwest monsoon over the Andaman and Gulf of Thailand.

He said the 15 provinces that would be hit by heavy rains Monday and Tuesday are Loei, Nong Khai, Udon Thani, Nong Bua Lamphu, Sakon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom Mukdahan, Khon Kaen, Kalasin, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buri Ram, Surin, Si Sa Ket, Amnart Charoen and Ubon Ratchathani.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-13

Khon Kaen (Chonabot to be precise) got a soaking on Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon but so far today no sign of rain thank Christ as the local Amphur still haven't put in the concrete road to my house that they have been promising for the last 2 years.

My pickup stays parked on the concrete road 300 meters away!

Update:

Flooding in Uttaradit, Surat Thani after heavy rains

UTTARADIT: -- Torrential rains caused heavy flooding which destroyed 300 rai (120 acres) of paddy fields in Thailand’s northern province of Uttaradit, while landslides continued to block a road in Surat Thani on Monday.

Flash floods and forest run-off inundated around 120 acres of rice fields in the municipality areas of Uttaradit after unusually heavy rains hit Uttaradit since last week, according to Somchai Mankemthong, mayor of Uttaradit municipality.

According to the initial assessment, the damage amounts to around Bt1 million.

The damage and flooding situation will be reported to provincial authorities in order to provide compensation to farmers as well as heavy machines to remove debris and dredge canals.

Meanwhile, more heavy rain in the southern province of Surat Thani triggered landslides and forest run-off in Phanom district.

Traffic between Phanom and Kapong districts was cut off. Roads were completely closed for repair for one week, according to an official of the provincial disaster response office.

In Phattalung, strong winds and heavy rains over the province on Monday, damaging 170 homes and more than 10 rai (4 acres) of rubber plantation, as well as durian orchards and other fruit farms in Kong Ra district.

Sakchai Petchote, Kong Ra local government chief approved Bt100,000 in preliminary aid for the victims.

According to local residents, the storms lasted for half an hour, blowing off roofs of many homes.

The emergency allocations will help residents repair damaged homes before heavy rains resume.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-07-13

Update:

Weather dept warns northeast of gusty winds and floods

Phang Nga's Takua Pa district has suffered its worst flooding in 30 years while the Meteorological Department has warned 15 northeastern provinces of gusty winds and floods from the southwest monsoon.

Muang Takua Pa Municipality Deputy Mayor, Santisuk Na Thalang, said Monday that forest floods had inundated the municipality since Sunday night and many areas were now covered with 50cmto two-metre-deep water.

"It's the worst flood in 30 years," he said adding that local authorities dispatched flat bottomed boats to assist the stranded residents and some families were evacuated from risky spots.

The damage and number of people affected would be determined soon, he added.

Meanwhile, Southeast Meteorological Centre chief Wanchai Sakudomchai said the southwest monsoon hoovering over the Andaman Sea, the South and the Gulf of Thailand remained strong, causing scattered rainfall in Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumphon, Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, and Phatthalung and two-metre-high tides in the Gulf. As for the Andaman coasts, 2-3 metrehigh waves were expected along with heavy rainfall and possible floods in many areas including Phang Nga's Takua Pa district.

Northeast Meteorological Center forcaster Rewat Tokpudsa said many areas of the Northeast had gusty winds and thunderstorms, resulting in a warning of heavy rains. They urged residents in the lowlying areas of Loei, Nong Khai, Udon Thani, Nongbua Lamphu, Sakhon Nakhon, Nakhon Panom, Mukdahan, Khon Kaen, Kalasin, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buri Ram, Surin, Si Sa Ket, Amnat Charoen, and Ubon Ratchathani to beware of floods. Warning of gusty winds and thunder strikes, they suggested people not to linger in outdoor spaces, not to wear metal accessories during thunderstorms, and to stay away from billboards.

In related news, heavy dowpours throughout on Monday sent forest floodwater from Doi Nang Lae to Mae Chiang Rai's Pukha Village damaging 100 homes and prompting locals to move their belongings up. Some sections of Paholyothin Highway (Chiang RaiMae Sai) were also under 50cmdeep water causing inconvenience to motorists.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-13

Big rain in Ubon Ratchathani province areas last night. Humid all day today. Pretty cloudy but not threatening rain as of this time of posting. Tonight...who knows, but local rice farmers have the black cat in a bag and are singing loudly! Hope it rains again for these people (my family members included).

All the best

BTW, I don't want floods, but this has been a very dry rainy season so far and people will suffer if their crop doesn't grow. Asking for the right amount of rain is like asking for the winning lottery numbers. Just wishing for a happy medium. Up to mother nature at the end of the day eh?

"Northeast Meteorological Center forcaster Rewat Tokpudsa said many areas of the Northeast had gusty winds and thunderstorms, resulting in a warning of heavy rains. They urged residents in the lowlying areas of Loei, Nong Khai, Udon Thani, Nongbua Lamphu, Sakhon Nakhon, Nakhon Panom, Mukdahan, Khon Kaen, Kalasin, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buri Ram, Surin, Si Sa Ket, Amnat Charoen, and Ubon Ratchathani to beware of floods. Warning of gusty winds and thunder strikes, they suggested people not to linger in outdoor spaces, not to wear metal accessories during thunderstorms, and to stay away from billboards"

I can quite caregorically confirm that I have never been hit by thunder. However I will not be taking any chances and have bubble-wrapped the entire house.

Also, I have removed all my bling and dug a hole in the garden and placed it there until its safe to wear it again. :)

Thunder strikes, that explains why my wife and her friends wait for the thunder before dashing out. I keep telling her, if you here the thunder the lightning missed. :) 3 days of almost non stop rain here.

Oh my! We are literally swimming here…When I say we: I’m speaking of course for all my fellow, south coast exports. Actually, our situation is so waterlogged that it has led to one of the most bizarre problems I have ever encountered in my life: the occurrence of man-eating sharks in our soi!

I’m sure there are other Thai Visa readers currently reading this post who are only too familiar with this extreme turn in events…To them; I can only say as a debutant in this area, your shared experiences in dealing with the unwanted presence of voracious predators in residential areas are invaluable!

Further to that note, I feel that it might be a good idea to keep this thread in permanence, updating it regularly with cunning shark-savy survival tactics such as avoiding prolonged eye contact, not turning one’s back, resisting the temptation to buy sweet or savory snacks from perambulating vehicles whose path has encroached on regular feeding grounds etc.

Good for rice! :)

unfortunately not strictly true.

In the right amounts yes, But too much at a given time can have the same effect on production quantities as none at all

Nice and wet here in A.San Sai, 10km North of Chiang Mai....

saves me a coupla hours watering the 'patch' tuesday.

rgdz

Edited by Brewsta