Trend Micro Anti-virus 2009

neverdie

I did a TV search but couldnt see anything.

Last year I saw Trend Micro Anti-virus for sale in IT City at Siam Paragon. Today, 'mai mee'. :) I couldnt find it at Panthip either.....tho its like looking for a needle in a haystack in that place.

Does anyone know where I can get this Trend 2009 other than online, as with my current internet connection I would rather do it by disc ?

I also saw a few others I don't really know about such as PANDA and BILL DEFENDER, has anyone got some advice about the current stuff, I need to update soon. Thanks.

You should not need more than basic AV protection. I have run them all, including the big blunderbuss Symantec, and AVG for +5 years has been perfect without the big CPU/RAM hit you get with the others. My XPSP2 is 5 years old, no updates + AVG 8.5

Bubba

Last year I saw Trend Micro Anti-virus for sale in IT City at Siam Paragon. Today, 'mai mee'. :) I couldnt find it at Panthip either.....tho its like looking for a needle in a haystack in that place.

Does anyone know where I can get this Trend 2009 other than online, as with my current internet connection I would rather do it by disc ?

I also saw a few others I don't really know about such as PANDA and BILL DEFENDER, has anyone got some advice about the current stuff, I need to update soon. Thanks.

Did you try Fortune?

Here a link to Thailand Resellers Trend Micro Thailand

Trend Miceo Thailand Office

Office: Trend Micro (Thailand) Ltd.

The Offices at Central World Tower, 999/9 Level 7th, Unit 709,

Rama 1 Road, Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330

Phone: +662 646 1968

A good freeware combination is: (Antivirus) Antivir http://www.free-av.com/ and (Firewall) Sygate http://www.tucows.com/preview/213160

Another good firewall:  http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/free-upgrade-security-suite-zonealarm-firewall.htm

Or if you would like to keep both programs within the same company: http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/antivirus.php and http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/firewall.php

Trend Micro used to deliver a freeware suite, but no more. There has been conducted a few tests lately where Antivir beat the regular/established non-freeware programs such as Norton and Norman.

You obviously have a net connection - why dont you go to an IC & download say AVG AV 8.5 to USB stick and install it on your machine - the daily updates are very small. AVG is <100Meg - and its free.

Bubba

Almost every time I have to clean a virus off a customer's machine, it has this piece of junk antivirus on it. AVG should be an acronym for "Another Virus Gets through". :)

If you must use a freebie, go with Avira's Antivir. It's got a detection rate that rivals the top paid AVs.

If you want the best the top three in terms of detection rates are:

ESET NOD32 (Very light on resources, never missed a virus in the wild according to Virusbulletin.)

Kaspersky

Norton (great detection rate, but a pig on resources, and very intrusive so I never recommend it)

Panda's not what it once was. Give it a miss.

Nobody serious about protecting their data uses AVG.

Edited by cdnvic

You obviously have a net connection - why dont you go to an IC & download say AVG AV 8.5 to USB stick and install it on your machine - the daily updates are very small. AVG is <100Meg - and its free.

Bubba

Almost every time I have to clean a virus off a customer's machine, it has this piece of junk antivirus on it. AVG should be an acronym for "Another Virus Gets through". :)

If you must use a freebie, go with Avira's Antivir. It's got a detection rate that rivals the top paid AVs.

ESET NOD32 (Very light on resources, never missed a virus in the wild according to Virusbulletin.)

Kaspersky

Norton (great detection rate, but a pig on resources, and very intrusive so I never recommend it)

I'll second that but like to add AVAST! Its doing a fine job free AVAST

Bubba

Kaspersky

I'll second that but like to add AVAST! Its doing a fine job free AVAST

Avast does very well in tests, about the same as Trend micro in detection rate. The cool thing about it is the ability to turn off scanning that you don't need. I use it on my linux machines.

Edited by cdnvic

I guess it's each person his own experiences. Because as oposed to what cdnvic posted we recommend our customers to go with AVG (not the free version) and whenever we get a Thai computer = virus bomb into our shop they have in 90% of the cases already installed NOD antivirus from the shop they bought it, but either it's not updated or it just isn't working, so we install AVG and it cleans up everything.

We even tried doing some tests on some of the worst virus infected computers we've had, where we tried to install the virus programs and run a scan one-after-another and every time it seemed that after AVG had run, the others did not find anything (well they didn't find anything even if they scanned first so obviously they weren't as reliable as AVG).

The only thing I have against AVG is that when it scans it swallows most of my CPU, a full scan of my computer takes around 9 hours and in that time my CPU is at 90% all the time no matter if I use the computer or not. It should be said that 9 hours is long for a scan, a newly installed Windows disk should not take more than 1 hour, it's just because I have so much "junk files" on my computer.

They're using a fake or cracked version of NOD32 then because every independent virus lab scores it number one or two consistently. It's the only AV to get over 50 VB100 awards. If you are putting AVG on customers' systems it just says that you aren't doing your research. I know they pay a nice commission when you do it (if they had a paid for AV on the system that simply hadn't updated, why sell them another, poorer testing one?), but the customer's data security should come first.

The latest AV-Comparatives test scored AVG as only a standard rating, citing it's poor detection rate on malicious scripts (42%) and it's high number of false positives as problems.

Avira scored an advanced rating, while NOD 32, and Kaspersky scored Advanced+ ratings.

One thing to come out of the tests is that Norton is becoming much less of a resource pig than it used to be.

Edited by cdnvic

Last year I saw Trend Micro Anti-virus for sale in IT City at Siam Paragon. Today, 'mai mee'. :D I couldnt find it at Panthip either.....tho its like looking for a needle in a haystack in that place.

Did you try Fortune?

Here a link to Thailand Resellers Trend Micro Thailand

Trend Miceo Thailand Office

Office: Trend Micro (Thailand) Ltd.

The Offices at Central World Tower, 999/9 Level 7th, Unit 709,

Rama 1 Road, Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330

Phone: +662 646 1968

Webfact,

No sorry I didnt try fortune :D , I didnt actually even try google, I only did the TV search and then came in to ask if anyone knew where it was for sale. What a fool :) .

The trend download via the net is expensive.

I looked at Kaspersky yesterday, but knew nothing about it, there was also Panda and Norton. I don't like Norton but its been at least 2 years since ive used theirs.

I'm not going to bite into the free stuff, its fine as some of you have pointed out but I want the REAL DEAL, not some taste tempter.

Eset Smart Security is just over 100USD for two pc's for 24months. The Eset NOD32, seems to only be sold in business packages for 5pc's or more....IS ESET SMART SECURITY the same thing?

And according to you all Kaspersky is good too, its a little bit more expensive, but nothing to get too upset about.

Trend micro is more expensive than both of them.

Mmmmm so much to chose from & so little time :D

Bubba

Kaspersky

I used Bit Defender for a two year subscription. When I went to renew it, I had all sorts of problems installing it. It was a real mess. I eventually had to get the uninstall program from them. Due to all those problems I ended up with Norton Internet Security. I'll agree that in the past Norton was a system hog. The new Norton is great. VERY light and other than the icon in the tray, it's hard to tell it is there. Updates are VERY often and if you want to see the last update, you have to actually open the window.

post-17093-1247543150_thumb.jpg

ADDED - If you buy Norton, make sure it is the 2009 version or it will still be a system hog. As a side note, it licenses three computers for less than $60 a year.

Edited by Gary A

Bubba

Kaspersky

Right on. I have done quite a bit of basic computer support and repair myself, and among a few other programs AVG Free Version is extremely common on troubled PC's. IMHO people who say they use AVG and never had a virus, are probably just not aware that they have a virus. Been a while since I been doing it though, things change fast and for all I know AVG could have released a killer last week. Although I doubt it.

For free AV I think Avira is better, and has an OK combination of user-friendliness and safety.

www.free-av.com

For one of the best (but far from biggest) collections of mostly free software I have come across:

www.filehippo.com

Forgot one important thing though, AVG users seem to be notorious when it comes to not installing the newer versions when the older ones expire and can't update anymore. Maybe because many are computer illiterates who haven't got the foggiest idea how or why, and just heard from a friend that it was great and free.

• 2 weeks later...
Remember that vendors make zilch on free anything - ergo the bias. Same/Same paid.

Bubba

Free AV is usually non-free AV with limited functions and/or user friendliness.

Virus definitions would be the same.