Isaan Bricks And Mortar

charliemike11

Does anyone in the Udon Thani area know the best place to get materials for a wall and gate? Our local brickyard is ok but choice is small and he has a monopoly on the price?? Also gates? nice shiny ones I cant find them and am only here for a few weeks?? :)

Female Ferang needs assistance please

Does anyone in the Udon Thani area know the best place to get materials for a wall and gate? Our local brickyard is ok but choice is small and he has a monopoly on the price?? Also gates? nice shiny ones I cant find them and am only here for a few weeks?? :)

Female Ferang needs assistance please

If you search the forum you'll find a couple of old threads on wall/fence construction. Most walls are built by constructing a concrete frame reinforced with steel rod and with the gaps filled in with either concrete block or brick. This is then skimmed over with cement to improve the appearance. Usually the front wall will be topped with fence sections which match the gate. I expect by 'shiny ones' you mean stainless steel, which is probably the nicest material but also the most expensive. Alternatives are mild steel or mild steel with decorative alloy sections. I don't know about Udon, but the materials for the wall can be bought from any builders merchant. Many small firms make the fence sections, but these do vary quite a bit in quality and price. It is probably best to get personal recommendations (which is what I suppose you are really asking for). I bought in Khon Kaen but only got mild steel and alloy. Despite a firm assurance that it was rust-proofed, the fence needs regular maintenance to stop rust taking hold and there is a good case for stainless steel.

Edited by citizen33

Cheers citizen33

I will check out the threads..... Shiny stainless steel thats the stuff.....mild steel gets rusty so Ill avoid that.....If anyone knows of any decent suppliers of quality gates and decorative brick in Udon Thani please let me know :)

> Our local brickyard is ok but choice is small and he has a monopoly on the price??

Typical blocks for making most walls are about 4 Baht each, might knock the price down if you are getting a lot.

> Also gates? nice shiny ones I cant find them and am only here for a few weeks??

A friend installed a fence (five panels 6'x8') and sliding gate (15-18'?) for about 60,000 Baht I think.

Stainless gates etc. can look great - but if installed badly can look 'on the cheap'.

Both of my closer friends with large metal gates wish they had installed a remote opening motor etc. as a percentage of the whole cost it seems to be considered worth it when raining hard and not one wants to get out of the car. HTH.

To do it cheap and nice, make a living wall.

You'll need 2.5m or 3m concrete posts, sand, cement, steel mesh - this is to put the posts in. Put posts in at 3-4m spacings. They cost around 180 Baht here, perhaps 200 now.

Then drill the posts down the centre line at 20cm intervals.

Now take plastic rawl plugs and stainless steel hooks. I get them locally for 2.3 Baht each, but go to Global Home or Home shop, might be around 1 Baht. Fix into holes.

Now take stainless steel wire, I buy 100m rolls for 50 Baht at Home Shop and double loop around the hooks and twist until taut.

Plant Bougainvillea along the fence line and train as a creeper. They are 25 Baht each.

So for each 4m section should cost around 450-500 Baht.

I'd take photos but someone's 'borrowed' my camera.