Built-in Cabinet And Shelves Needed

Thailaw

I have 2 offensive support posts protruding from my living room wall. The easiest fix, I think, is to put a cabinet and bookshelves over and between the posts, about 2.8 meters apart. Can anyone recommend a good cabinet maker that can do this job? I would like teak (perhaps not solid) and probably a granite top on the cabinet. Obviously, reasonably/fairly priced is a major plus. Name and contact information/location of shop would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Thanks. I have been to a few of the places on Thepprasit Road. The furniture is very nice, but the prices are absurd. And I don't see how one can avaod the "farang mark-up". Before anyone gives a final/firm price for a built-in cabinet, they will need to come to the house, measure the space, and it will be obvious that it is for a farang and the price will reflect that. So, I think I am still looking.

Thanks. I have been to a few of the places on Thepprasit Road. The furniture is very nice, but the prices are absurd. And I don't see how one can avaod the "farang mark-up". Before anyone gives a final/firm price for a built-in cabinet, they will need to come to the house, measure the space, and it will be obvious that it is for a farang and the price will reflect that. So, I think I am still looking.

The furniture makers on Thepprasit use very cheap qaulity balsa wood that wont last and they make everything hollow so very weak, if you want some qaulity for your money then try Homepro store they have a furniture made to order section at the very back of the store. They also only use solid wood and charge the same price to all Thais & farangs

As for granite, go to a granite shop after you have your woodwork finished as you will save money this way, the granite shop on sukumvit opposite the Pattaya Klang junction is very good i've used them many times but always haggle with them on the price as they usually always come down a little.

Edited by sotsira

I agree about the granite, and I have used the shop across from Pattaya Klang several times and found their prodict and work to be good. I just have to believe that there are better options for made-to-fit cabinet and shelves than HomePro. I'll take a look, but hopefully someone will provide some other options to compare price and quality.

The difference between the prices for comparable furniture is as wide in Pattaya as I have ever seen -- truly amazing. A very nice solid teak 4 poster bed at the Index shop on Pattaya Nua (between the Bus Station and Lotus) was B77,000. I bought a similar but better quality solid teak 4 poster bed at a shop in the new Village shopping center for B25,000. I don't see how some of these places sell anything or stay in business. It does mean, however, that a buyer must do a great deal of looking/shopping to feel he/she is getting an item at a "reasonable" price.

Unfortunately quality is expensive.

But I know of a farang cabinet maker who does outstanding work and yet charges prices that are in line with the Thai marketplace.

His shop is called "American Craftsman" and I'll pass your post along.