In Case You May Have Missed It..........

waldwolf

For Info;

Recently, Microsoft made several new product announcements.

First was Microsoft AntiSpyware, which Bill Gates announced would be free to legal Windows owners. He forgot, however, to mention that, it will only work with Windows 2000 and WindowsXP operating systems. Seems, when Microsoft acquired the software from Giant, they (Microsoft) disabled its compatability with earlier versions such as Win98/98SE and ME.

Second, in his announcement of the upcoming release of Internet Explorer 7, Mr. Gates also neglected to mention that IE7 will only work (install) on WindowsXP or Windows 2000 platforms. (I believe one can safely assume it will also be compatable with "Longhorn", when it is officially released. :D )

Now, why am I not surprised. :o

:D:D

Why should one use five year old software like Windows 2000 and Win ME?

And Win98 is 7+ years old.

I love 2000 on my windows machine. Tried XP but honestly don't think its worth the $$$. Uses less resources than XP. I reboot about every two weeks when I install hardware.

Unless IE7 is less bloaty than the current version, I won't even bother.

cv

With you all the way on that one cdnvic. I still use W2K. I just find it more stable, more sane, and nicer to use. I have tried XP, XP SP1, and XP SP2 and each time have gone back to W2K. The system restore facility of XP is the only thing I miss. (rarely). Admittedly it does not have too many drivers ready for plug and pray, but it's no bother to pop the proper dirver in.

W2K and XP compatibility has nothing to do with evil B.Gates. M$ now promotes software writen under relatevely new .Net or M$ Framework enviroment, which is writen and works only on w2k and later releases.

M$ also officially canceled [ceased] support for W95,W98 and Me.

W2K only seems to work faster WXP. actually, with same features, and services running XP is faster.

But if you want something really fast go for Linux or better FreeBSD

But if you want something really fast go for Linux or better FreeBSD

I have a freeBSD machine sitting right next to this one, it's just been cannabalized for hardware atm. :o

Must agree though, its lightning quick compared to its original win98 OS. I can't blame MS for giving up on win98....everyone else did years ago. Sometimes a horse just needs to be shot and put out of its misery. Rather be stuck with a late model 95 than any 98.

cv