Do Aftermarket Ignition Amplifiers Make A Difference?

Hey Guys,

I'm no mechanic so I really don't know the answer to this one and hope one of you techies can give me the straight dope-

I've got a friend whose company makes automotive ignition amplifiers here in Thailand. He wants to design them for motorcycles and wants to test one on my bike. He promises me I'll see a gain in torque and horsepower and he's going to pay for Dyno runs to measure any change.

I don't know much about ignition amplifiers but understand the basic idea is to create a hotter and more efficient spark.

Question #1: What's the chance an aftermarket ignition amplifier could damage my engine or electronics?

Question #2: Do you think an ignition amplifier will improve horsepower or torque?

Question #3: If the purpose of an ignition amplifier is to create a hotter spark, won't this increase the operating temperature of the engine?

Here's a description of the product:

" Stream Line Power Booster ignition amplifier integrates Capacity Discharge Ignition (CDI) and transistor ignition technology to offer improved throttle response and smoother engine performance by providing optimal spark duration and maximum voltage output. The CDI technology provides maximum voltage by transferring all stored energy in the capacitor to the ignition coil so the ignition current can build quickly, making the product very effective at higher revolutions where a normal spark would diminish.

The strong, rapid spark prevents high rpm ignition miss that reduces peak power. The transistorized method generates high voltage by using transistors to cut off current to the coil, allowing a long energy discharge. This longer spark duration allows the Stream Line Power Booster to improve lower RPM throttle response and torque. The Stream Power produces a spark output that is typically 1.5-2.5 stronger than a stock ignition system and consumes about 35% less power than other ignition amplifiers.

"

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Like everything with a production bikes power train; performance ability is no where important as long life and safety requirements so the bike is designed as much. So individual systems can be improved; just as a high performance ignition system can help a car, so can steel braided brake line help improve braking. On a regular engine, not one designed for high performance, an upgraded ignition system will make very little difference. The ER6 is more performance oriented, so I'd say give it a shot and be the guinea pig, because normally a hot sparking system doesn't really decrease the life of electrical system components.

#1 – really don't know how your ECU and rectifier will handle the extra voltage; that'd be a big question for your friend.

#2 – Upgraded ignition systems have smoothed engines across the entire power band on hopped up V8's and a 2 stroke 250 for myself; noticeable improvement in how the engine ran but not sure of any actual power increases. Great that an Dyno comparison is being offered, you and other Kawaker owners will stoked to find out the results.

#3 – Nope, spark temperatures don't contribute much too operating temps; that's combustion and frictions game there

Bet there's someone here with more knowledge as it applys to bikes.

Like everything with a production bikes power train; performance ability is no where important as long life and safety requirements so the bike is designed as much. So individual systems can be improved; just as a high performance ignition system can help a car, so can steel braided brake line help improve braking. On a regular engine, not one designed for high performance, an upgraded ignition system will make very little difference. The ER6 is more performance oriented, so I'd say give it a shot and be the guinea pig, because normally a hot sparking system doesn't really decrease the life of electrical system components.

#1 – really don't know how your ECU and rectifier will handle the extra voltage; that'd be a big question for your friend.

#2 – Upgraded ignition systems have smoothed engines across the entire power band on hopped up V8's and a 2 stroke 250 for myself; noticeable improvement in how the engine ran but not sure of any actual power increases. Great that an Dyno comparison is being offered, you and other Kawaker owners will stoked to find out the results.

#3 – Nope, spark temperatures don't contribute much too operating temps; that's combustion and frictions game there

Bet there's someone here with more knowledge as it applys to bikes.

Cheers Fishenough,

Thanks so much for the detailed reply! Much appreciated.

Alright- I think it's worth giving it a try. I'll report back the results as soon as we've completed testing.

Funny you should mention steel brake lines as I have a set on the way (along with a Two Brothers Juice Box Fuel Injection Module) which I'm really looking forward to installing.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Just like high end sports cars, bikes are more performance oriented.

Back in the day you could slap a carb, headers and wires on a V8 and see big gains. Now everything is computer designed for efficiency therefore it will be harder to see significant gains.

I would say you would need more upgrades to really notice a difference the amplifier makes. cams, race pipe, head porting.

My after market CDI from ignitech made a big difference in power, part of the reason being the standard CDI couldnt ignite the mixture my carb was pouring into the engine! Checking the spark difference was like night and day from the stock unit.

You might look into a grounding kit to go along with you amplifier, as when properly installed they always show improved engine response and will help the amplifier do its job.

Thanks for your feedback wrathfultalon,

Happy to report that the Ignition Amplifier did make a noticeable improvement-

DynoGainGraphZm3.jpg

1.23 max horsepower gain and increased max torque as well. (More significant are that the gains extend throughout the power band) I can really feel the additional torque in the mid range.

PowerBooster1Sm.jpg

Cool product though to be perfectly honest I'm not sure how many people would want to spend ~9000 Baht for such a relatively small gain... Then again- the gains will vary from one bike to the next. The tuner at Dirtshop wants to test the bike again with stock exhaust. He seems to believe the ignition amplifier will create a bigger gain on stock setup than with the Two Bros race pipe but couldn't explain why... I want to test again once I get my Juice Box fuel injection module.

My friend who developed this product wants me to help him with the marketing. It's a cool product and it definitely works, but honestly I think the only people that would want/need this are racers and performance freaks (me? :) )...

What do you think? Thanks for your input!

PowerBoosterInstalled1Zm.jpg

Happy Trails!

Tony