Moving Costs Australia To Thailand

Is there anyone who has had recent experience with bringing houshold goods from Australia. I understand the duty side of things my wife is Thai so should not be too many dramas there. Just looking at the costs and reliable shipping companies. Anyone had any recent experiences good and baad.

All helpful replies appreciated.

It really depends on how much of your personal belongings you want to bring.

Almost all electrical, house hold and furniture etc are much cheaper here than in Oz.

The are only two ways

1//A 40ft container could have plenty of space for everything. But besides the actual freight

costs, loading and other related costs in Oz are very high. Then a lot of costs in Bangkok too plus agency fees &"tea" money. Packing and transport charges too

2/ Airfreight is much cheaper than you think if you send a large amount like 500 kilos. Other than the airfreight charges there is nothing else to pay and no hassle. You can pack every thing yourself in old boxes or suitcases and take it yourself to the airport. We sold all our furniture and house hold goods before leaving Perth. We took only very personal things like clothes, paintings, valuables etc making the total weight up to 500k.

I know we saved a lot of money. Check people like DHL and the individual airlines

My best guess is that the shipping costs will be more than the items are worth. I shipped a box of things from the US and by the time I was finished, it cost me 51,000 baht. Other than sentimental items that I could have brought over in a suitcase, no way were the other things worth that much.

Is there anyone who has had recent experience with bringing houshold goods from Australia. I understand the duty side of things my wife is Thai so should not be too many dramas there. Just looking at the costs and reliable shipping companies. Anyone had any recent experiences good and baad.

I shipped my stuff from Melbourne to Pattaya - but I tried to sell as much as I could, before packing up the rest which comprised personal effects, favourite furniture and paintings. Was assured NON DUTIABLE (I did not bring in any electricals, electronics stuff or anything new)...but was told here I needed to pay 20k THB, which was "bargained" down to 15k. Other than the duty problem, I was pleased with the removalist and their Thai agents (King&Wilson in Melb and FourWinds in Thailand). Rather than risk further delays/problems, which is the reaction that thai customs expect I suppose, I decided to pay the 15k and experienced no issues after that.

I called King&Wilson to complain about the 15k which was contrary to their advise, but of course they pointed out some obscure fine print. Good try on my part, but I really can't bame them too much because they really do not know how thai customs "interpret" what is dutiable despite the existence of a list, and none of my items fell in that list.

Good luck.

I shipped my stuff from Melbourne to Pattaya - but I tried to sell as much as I could, before packing up the rest which comprised personal effects, favourite furniture and paintings. Was assured NON DUTIABLE (I did not bring in any electricals, electronics stuff or anything new)...but was told here I needed to pay 20k THB, which was "bargained" down to 15k. Other than the duty problem, I was pleased with the removalist and their Thai agents (King&Wilson in Melb and FourWinds in Thailand). Rather than risk further delays/problems, which is the reaction that thai customs expect I suppose, I decided to pay the 15k and experienced no issues after that.

I called King&Wilson to complain about the 15k which was contrary to their advise, but of course they pointed out some obscure fine print. Good try on my part, but I really can't bame them too much because they really do not know how thai customs "interpret" what is dutiable despite the existence of a list, and none of my items fell in that list.

Good luck.

Beware of FourWinds. A friend of mine moved in the opposite direction using FourWinds, only to find that its Australian business partner had gone out of business and all his property was held up for weeks on end while creditors were fighting over who owed what to whom. FourWinds did nothing to help and the manager did not return calls.

Good luck.

Beware of FourWinds. A friend of mine moved in the opposite direction using FourWinds, only to find that its Australian business partner had gone out of business and all his property was held up for weeks on end while creditors were fighting over who owed what to whom. FourWinds did nothing to help and the manager did not return calls.

So which company in Australia went out of business in Australia? More info please.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I am looking at using a container, I have good quality appliances etc that would not sell for what the are worth and are more expensive to replace in Thailand. Plus a lot of books, kitchen utensils, computers, furniture and so on.

If I can get it all over for a reasonable price I would be happy, my fridge alone would be 125,000 baht to replace, if I sell it probably get the equivilant of 25,000 baht here in Australia.

Edited by garyh

So which company in Australia went out of business in Australia? More info please.

I don't know the name of the Australian Four Winds counterpart (a local Oz freight forwarder) that Four Winds was using without checking back with my friend, not that it really matters as it is Four Winds who was handling the job and who should have taken responsibility for this problem.

This was about three years ago, so things may have changed, but my friend told me that Four Winds were an absolute nightmare and never to go near them. By the looks of it, they are still hit and miss - the poster who used them in this thread was unexpectedly charged 15K by customs, something that a good frieght forwarder would have been prepared for.

I relocated to Pattaya from Melbourne about 3 years ago and used Allied Pickfords. They are international and my stuff was delivered by them (Thai personell of course). Costs were determined on your valuation of items and of course shipping charges. I had to go to Bangkok to pay the duty, which was minimal. I had heard it could be anything up to a 6 figure amount depending on how they were feeling at the time, but I was pleasantly surprised. Allied came to the house packed and crated everything, and when it was delivered here, they unpacked it all and took away all the rubbish. All in all a very non-stressing move as far as that goes. Hope that helps - if not - up to you! Cheers!

I did it last year... Perth to Bangkok. AGS World dropped off a 20 foot container which I packed myself with the help of friends. Arrived in Bangkok 15 days later. Only cost us about 3,000 Baht for "Tea money" and taxes. . . Total cost to move all our furniture and personal belongings to Bangkok = $3,500 AUD. Much better then selling off your furniture and buying new stuff here. I am about to do the return trip next month and am using AGS World again. They are providing 5 labours which will cost 3,000 Baht. Total cost to return will be around $4,000 AUD.

Old post from me :

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Bringing-Container-t13983.html

post5

i send a container in Thailand 24 may 1999 i ask my student friend to put everything on his name , as student no tax will be paid ..

Did not have any problems, a friend of the family was on the dock , the company i use was Sea Land service ( bangkok ) 02 661 3388 - 02 661 3408 one must be fax.

The cost was very low between Australia and Thailand, the most was the packing and put in container..

Find good people and it will be fine, make sure the tax is not to high on landing ..

I did not show myself there..

BCR Freight was the shipping company, 3500 weight 2o' container 43 piece of house hold .

Everything was in English and Thai

BCR Freight Elwood Victoria

I used these guys and the service was very good.The BKK base company is managed by Europeans and the communication was good.

You can email Stein on: [email protected]

and put all your questions forward first.It will cheaper for you to pack your own container with help from mats in Auss then giving it over to an agent in Auss.If you got quality stuff it's worth paying the duty.

Good luck hope this helps

United Relocations (Thailand) Co. Ltd

360/21-22 Moo-Ban Sri Krung,

Rama III Road, Yannawa

Bangkok 10120, Thailand

Mobile: +66 (0) 8 9665 2050

Tel: +66 (0) 2 285 3974 / 75

Fax: +66 (0) 2 285 3976

I used In-Tend International Co Ltd (contact Hawk Cheng M.D.) a couple of years back for Bkk to Sydney - excellent service. Today I contacted them and got the local agent in Sydney

Elton McKay

Accord Logistics Pty Ltd

Alexandria

9669 2333

I can highly recommend In-Trend in Bkk - no non-sense on-the-ball organisation - www.intend.net

I don't know the name of the Australian Four Winds counterpart (a local Oz freight forwarder) that Four Winds was using without checking back with my friend, not that it really matters as it is Four Winds who was handling the job and who should have taken responsibility for this problem.

This was about three years ago, so things may have changed, but my friend told me that Four Winds were an absolute nightmare and never to go near them. By the looks of it, they are still hit and miss - the poster who used them in this thread was unexpectedly charged 15K by customs, something that a good frieght forwarder would have been prepared for.

Again you are jumping to conclusions, getting your facts wrong and slagging Four Winds. If you read again you will note that he advised that the origin agent did not advise him that tax was due in Thailand. In fact, if you read again, he advised that Four Winds saved him oney by reducing the cost.

Again you are jumping to conclusions, getting your facts wrong and slagging Four Winds. If you read again you will note that he advised that the origin agent did not advise him that tax was due in Thailand. In fact, if you read again, he advised that Four Winds saved him oney by reducing the cost.

Eh? So you have experience with Four Winds? Probably not. Go use them and report back on your experiences. You have none.

Edited by dbrenn

• 4 weeks later...
I used In-Tend International Co Ltd (contact Hawk Cheng M.D.) a couple of years back for Bkk to Sydney - excellent service. Today I contacted them and got the local agent in Sydney

Elton McKay

Accord Logistics Pty Ltd

Alexandria

9669 2333

I can highly recommend In-Trend in Bkk - no non-sense on-the-ball organisation - www.intend.net

Thanks for this info, the correct link to the Bangkok shippers is: www.in-tend.net

In-Tend International Co., Ltd.

77 Tanakul Building, 2/F, Rm 205, Rama 9 Road,

Huaykwang, Huaykwang, Bangkok 10310

Tel: 662 – 246 7883-4

Fax: 662 – 246 7885

Edited by patrickq