Plecostomus

I have 4 large ones. They live in a pond. Just lately I see them swimming around in circles, but not showing aggression. Is this mating behaviour? If so what are their requirements

I've only known of them in indoor fish tanks. They are a very ancient species, and I think are catfish related. They are very interesting, but what they do in a pond is anyone's guess. You can track information on the Internet I'm sure.

they start off eating lots of green but are actually carnivorous. as for mating? i gave mine to the jerusalem zoo when he got too big for my tank; and he ate some of their fish, so now in pleco only tank... mating? clueless.

bina

Thanks for the replies so far. All I have found to date is a tunnel/cave, with the entrance just wide enough for the mails pectoral fins. One of these 18" beauties is a little swollen behind the pectorals, other than that not much else to go on. I hope not too carnivourous, I have just put some 2" Koi in. My boss was using the pond for Pla-Duk. The water had to be changed every other day, and the smell :) .

OK back on topic. I'll try some plastic pipe under some rocks.

Bina back in the UK I used to buy small plecs, and when they got too large swapped them at my friend's aquarist shop for a small one. :D

OK I got a bit more. They are territorial, with the males caring for the brood. The males are broader across the head, and to breed a 750 gallon tank may be required. Also cave/tunnel spawners, with the female chased off once mating is completed. Hatching is anywhere between 4-20 days.

good going... never have run in to any one actually breeding these monsters although most arent wild caught so somebody somewhere must be breeding them...

male is the brooder? sounds like a cichlid!? but they arent...

bina

they start off eating lots of green but are actually carnivorous. as for mating? i gave mine to the jerusalem zoo when he got too big for my tank; and he ate some of their fish

Plecs are mainly herbivorous but will scavenge and eat meat too. Very, very unlikely they killed healthy fish, I would say the fish either died and they fed on them or they latched onto very sick fish. They are not a predatory species. I sold them professionally for years and never heard of a solid case where they killed fish, but they were often blamed for it when owners looked into their tank and saw the plec eating another fish's body.

Don't know a great deal about breeding them though, sold them in the UK so for the aquarium trade and I don't think they have been bred often in tank conditions. Does sound like you have a breeding pair in your pond though, make sure they have a cave/tube to lay the eggs and just leave them too it would be your best bet. The rainy season has probably set them off, an influx of fresh water is often recommended for breeding many types of fish in aquariums, especially certain species of catfish.

They have taken very well to lakes in Thailand and breed well in them, but quite an achievement to have them breed in a pond I think. Congrats. :)

If anyone wants a smaller version of this fish for an aquarium, try Ancistrus, very similar and only get about 5 inches long depending on the species.

male is the brooder? sounds like a cichlid!? but they arent...

Maybe a little confusion there Bina, 'mouthbrooding' is well known amongst Cichlids, but Plecs are not mouthbrooders. With many species of fish the male will take over the main care of the brood once they have hatched.

Edited by burman

Don't know a great deal about breeding them though, sold them in the UK so for the aquarium trade and I don't think they have been bred often in tank conditions. Does sound like you have a breeding pair in your pond though, make sure they have a cave/tube to lay the eggs and just leave them too it would be your best bet. The rainy season has probably set them off, an influx of fresh water is often recommended for breeding many types of fish in aquariums, especially certain species of catfish.

They certainly got a good influx of water yesterday. The water coming of about 1/4 of our roof was going in at about 5 gallons a second yesterday.

I have/had two in my 80 gallon tank. One is white and much smaller than the dark brown spotted one. The spotted one is about 10.5 inches long. I took him out of the tank a couple weeks ago and put him in a jar outside. Since then the inside tank started growing black algae or black something. Anyways it was ugly. It was growing on the glass as well as the bottom rocks. I put that big one back in the inside tank and sure enough he is eating whatever that black stuff is. The tank is nearly cleaned up within a week.

• 2 weeks later...