House In Chang Mai

charlie1968

HI

HI ME AND MY WIFE WHO IS THAI ARE LOOKING FOR A SMALL PIECE OF LAND TO BUILD A HOUSE CAN ANY ONE HELP

THANKS

CARL AND SAENG

Carl, Your request appears to be a little helpless, show some common sense and initiative, go "online" and look for estate agents, there are plenty of them and they have masses of property for sale, in addition go and visit your favourite areas where you want to live where most houses and pieces of land on the market have "FOR SALE" signs, then look at your budget and see what you can a purchase, currently the property market is a buyers market, keep that in mind, also keep in mind that your good lady will be the legal owner of the property purchased.

You could try Satihoga Real Estate. Run by a very nice guy called Stephan. Check on the net. Not sure what he has for sale but he has helped many expats with Thai wives find land. It does not cost anything to e-mail him and ask. He can then keep an eye out for you. On the whole the further out of town, the lower the price but not always the case. Land can cost what someone is willing to sell it for and the size it is. 1m baht a rai is not unusal now but with the recession you are in the power seat as there are not so many buyers right now.

House builds can cost anything from 10,000 baht to 35,000 a square metre plus. It is all down to the specs of the property, design and your choices. Built two homes now. Be careful with the builder and I would always use one that is a registered company, has experience, can show you homes they built, insures the build during construction, and has a foreign person overseeing it or involved. That is no criticism of Thai contractors but it is so much easier and less hassle if you can talk direct to someone who is foreign. The Thai workers and engineers do it but it has foreign involvement which is very useful. The combination works very well. They also understand the standards expected and what you will want. And contrary to rediculous belief they are not overtly expenisive. The one I used was middle of the road on price but did a cracking job for me. If you pay a bit more using a foreign managed company, you save money in the end as you avoid all the hassles and problems associated with construction that can occur. You need the foreign person to discuss it with and they should help you avoid all the negative problems that you could well encounter. Some people try to do it themselves but unless you have been in construction I would not do that. It can have disastrous results as seen by some of the terrible quality homes built.

Do a search for chiang Mai builders or Chiang mai construction. Any decent company will have a good web site and can be easily found. If it looks like a badly put together web site and looks like they don't care then that tells you something about the company. They should have an office too and be available via e-mail and phone. It shows they care and are doing it professionally. Just as you would expect back home. Good luck. Hope you find what you are looking for. Thats my opinon for what its worth. Hope it helps. I would also check out Alant's land. Its for sale and cost nothing to look and see what you think. Might be just what you are looking for.

Edited by Gold2005