Thailand Airfare War Hots Up

george

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently bought tix from Phuket - Bangkok for THB 1100.

But the flight from Bangkok to

Koh Samui was very expensive by comparison THB 2400 approx.

On line booking and membership to Bangkok air club.

No rhyme or reason to the flight prices - except to say the most popular

flights may be reduced or priced to the passenger volume.

:)

Recently bought tix from Phuket - Bangkok for THB 1100.

But the flight from Bangkok to

Koh Samui was very expensive by comparison THB 2400 approx.

On line booking and membership to Bangkok air club.

No rhyme or reason to the flight prices - except to say the most popular

flights may be reduced or priced to the passenger volume.

:)

Bangkok Air built one airport and the blew it off and built a second on Samui.

Fine they have won design awards, but they expect everyone top pay

for their building program in the short run, not long term.

They have a monopoly and don't care what we think.

Add to that they don't respect the RESIDENTS who drive their own cars.

It is ALL geared toward moving tourists to hotels and back.

If you drive your own car, it must be parked at one end,

and then if you return on late flights you must cart your stuff 1/2 km away

to arrivals parking... because the guy driving the sometimes available golf cart

HAS GONE HOME.

This i find insulting to those who live and work on the island and travel regularly

to Bangkok, more regularly than ANY tourists. We usually come back with more

than we left with too, so either comback on a 4,500 baht flight,

to get 30 minute wait for a golf cart, or be prepared to walk a long way.

I have a Samui Residents Card / Bonus Club etc.

It typically costs more because it doesn't work on promotion flights,

only works on flights so damned expensive, that you avoid them if you can.

Phuket is a farther distance flight to Bangkok, but typically cost 800+ baht less.

But BA didn't have to build the Phuket airport.

Thanks for the info, Island Guy....

Here's one pretty important question/detail....

Since each pass is 4 one-way tickets, can a couple (two people) share that single pass for a pair of round-trips together???

Or...

Does the same single individual (named purchaser) need to use all 4 tickets him or herself.... and then any accompanying wife or spouse would have to buy a second pass???

Hi. Just called them and to my surprise they said (and they went to a supervisor to double check) that the named person could book for two people and that yes, you could buy one book and fly round trip with your partner. This wasn't how I understood the explanation in the Chaweng office, but they were just finding out details themselves. Also, I was able to, again, call in to extend a payment deadline on a web promotion fare booked online. Quite convenient but not something you would see reading the conditions of the fare online.

For other readers, and as someone who has a bad habit of venting when cranky myself, the agents I talked to were quite polite and helpful (although not as well briefed as they could have been). I have never had a BKK Air staff member be otherwise with me. This is certainly one of the best things about the airline. As a former travel industry worker I can tell you that the people you talk to don't have any control over pricing and other policies and deserve to be treated with equal politeness. And doing otherwise doesn't help your position one bit in tryng to get them to do something extra in your favor. If you are really steaming at least wait until you can get a supervisor. :)

How quickly this has become YET another lets bash Thai Airways thread.

............ But stop the moaning, whinging and complainaing here as if Thai Airways personally owes YOU something!

I thought we were simply reporting. As consumers. NOT being duped by a so called promotion and lame proclamation to actually compete in the marketplace. Just calling them on their bs. They owe it too themselves and their employees to stay in business. They owe me nothing. I'll vote with my purchase.

How quickly this has become YET another lets bash Thai Airways thread.

............ But stop the moaning, whinging and complainaing here as if Thai Airways personally owes YOU something!

I thought we were simply reporting. As consumers. NOT being duped by a so called promotion and lame proclamation to actually compete in the marketplace. Just calling them on their bs. They owe it too themselves and their employees to stay in business. They owe me nothing. I'll vote with my purchase.

They are doing fine, made a US$ 232,000,000 profit in first quarter of this year. Load factor of 70% around the network in the first half of the year. Doing quite well in comparison to carriers around the world. I'm sure they don't need to be told by a few TV.com posters how to price their fares. Prior to last years disastrous result they were doing fine too.