Clearing Personal Checks From Overseas Banks

G'day,

I had cleared a Bank of America check from the company previously. I thought since I still have the check book for my own personal checking account with them, can I do the same? That is, I write a check from my own book addressed to myself and deposit it with a local bank.

It'll be two days before I can go to the branch and ask, so I thought I pop the question there.

thanks

Matt

Bad idea unless you enjoy being raped.

Personal checks I've written in the past take several weeks to clear and the receiving bank takes a percentage (~10%) of the amount the check is written for.

Thai banks suck bad.

Edited by Texpat

G'day,

I had cleared a Bank of America check from the company previously. I thought since I still have the check book for my own personal checking account with them, can I do the same? That is, I write a check from my own book addressed to myself and deposit it with a local bank.

It'll be two days before I can go to the branch and ask, so I thought I pop the question there.

thanks

Matt

This is what I found as the best way to replenish my funds here. I go to the bank, write a check to myself and deposit it. I use Bangkok Bank. They charge a $10 fee, paid in baht at the time of deposit. It is deducted from your home bank account almost immediately but it does not show up in you Thai bank account for almost 30 days to the day.

I have done this a number of times and it is always 30 days. Last month the gal said it would take about 3 weeks. It was 30 days.

The first time I did this they said it was possible if I had an account with them for a "long time". No definitive answer as to what constitutes a long time.

It works fine for me however, no foreign ATM or wire transfer charges. Just need to plan 1 month in advance.

My experience is similar using Bangkok Bank except every time its been 3 weeks +/- 1 or two days. $10.00 fee and the exchange rate is exactly as posted when cleared. No extra deductions at either end. However that is not with BOA so perhaps they charge. No ripoff from my experience and have done it several times, the last time just last month.

The first time I did this they said it was possible if I had an account with them for a "long time". No definitive answer as to what constitutes a long time.

I have been told this is baloney, but I recently tried to deposit several checks from America into my HSBC Thai account and was told that it was impossible until I had been a customer for 1 year...due to US regs re money laundering.

Thanks for the replies. It's good to know that I can write a check to myself and deposit it locally.

First time I asked the company to send me a check, it took them a month to send me the check, then another 30 days for it to clear. So 2 months in total of waiting time. At least I'll save a month by going this way.

thanks

Matt