How To Search Windows For Multiple Files?

davejonesbkk

I have a list of around 50 articles that are saved on my computer that I need to find. The articles are about cities and famous landmarks (eg London- Big Ben) I think nearly all of the article files are named by the city or landmark but I think a few arent.

Is there a way of getting Windows (or some other app.) to search my hard drive with this list searching not only for file names but also text within the file? The files are all MS Word and I'm using XP.

Here's an example of what I'm searching for:

General: (Barcelona)

Park Guell (Barcelona)

La Rambla (Barcelona)

Barri Gòtic (gothic quarter) (Barcelona)

La Sagrada Família (Barcelona)

Montjuïc (Barcelona)

Edited by davejonesbkk

The easiest and free of charge solution would be the use the built-in Windows "Search" function.

Click on START ---> and you see a magnifying glass "search". Click on it and a dialog will open.

There's many software available most are not free but possible to trial.

An excellent utility is http://www.powergrep.com/msword.html

Cost some money... but offers a trial too

I have a list of around 50 articles that are saved on my computer that I need to find. The articles are about cities and famous landmarks (eg London- Big Ben) I think nearly all of the article files are named by the city or landmark but I think a few arent.

Is there a way of getting Windows (or some other app.) to search my hard drive with this list searching not only for file names but also text within the file? The files are all MS Word and I'm using XP.

Here's an example of what I'm searching for:

General: (Barcelona)

Park Guell (Barcelona)

La Rambla (Barcelona)

Barri Gòtic (gothic quarter) (Barcelona)

La Sagrada Família (Barcelona)

Montjuïc (Barcelona)

Do a Search on the directory you think the files will reside...

Is it C:\... or C:\MyFiles\ etc... just get to the lowest level you can so that you can have minimal number of files.

Then.. search for file name that looks like... "*barcelona*.doc;*london*.doc" put in the search box like this. for multiple files use a ';', for search pattern use a '*'... for file types... use *.doc, etc.

See below image:

th.206f175ba1.jpg

You can also search for text with in the file... just put some text in the 'word or phrase in the file'. keep it minimal to cover a broad area.