Prominent Academic Hits Out At Thaksin

george

Prominent academic hits out at PM’s "reckless" zoning policy

BANGKOK: -- Prominent Thai academic Thirayuth Boonmi has given a warning that the government's new policy of classifying areas in the country's strife-torn south in accordance with the level of cooperation with security forces' anti-insurgency effort could be seen internationally as an act of racial discrimination.

The Thammasat University lecturer said today that the zoning policy was both a mistake and unconstitutional. He urged Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to be calm

and clear-headed when considering solutions to the troubles of the south.

“The prime minister is behaving like a hot-headed teenager who thinks and acts with wrath and reckless speed....his zoning policy for the border provinces is the latest example,” Professor Thirayuth said.

He said today's Maka Bucha religious holiday represented a good opportunity for the prime minister to retreat from this mistake and for his government to win the hearts and minds of the Muslim south with virtue instead of intimidation.

--TNA 2005-02-23

It reeks of ghetoism, just typical of Toxins attitude to anyone who holds a different view to his own " I wanna be like george bush" attitude. The only peoples opinion he is interested in now are western bankers and political figures. Don't expect any compromise from him until this place is awash with bodies or it's election time again. Despot of the year award goes to Mr T....again

let's see how others will handle this situation - everyone can score more goals while sitting on the fence and giving advices.... Thaksin said he gives initiative to those who criticise him and let them do as they think better, since they say what he does isn't good. now, would that professor go there into those areas and risk his life and meet with people and do the "field work" - or simply talk talk talk in his academician style ? anyone can talk - can pick up plenty of talkers here in this Forum for instance. :o but who can realy DO something constructive and effective - not just talk? that will be seen.

my wife told me (she is staunch supporter of him) that in reply to criticism about South Thaksin simply invited those who critcise him at least to come along to those provinces - and even better to help by some real actions. but so far nobody is willing to go .... why won't they? criticism implies - the person criticising knows-how and CAN and WOULD DO better if placed into position. that is called - constructive criticism. otherwise it is useless and pointless - like all idle talks about him in this Forum. idle - coz they neither would change anything / influence the state of things nor even would be acknowledged seriously by those who do the work of govering. yeah, well - exercising once "freedom of speech" or "right of opinion" - aha ! as that saying goes: "dogs bark and caravan keeps going" ...

so, once again - let's see how others will solve this problem.... that is what I think Thaksin decided - "ok, if many say that I handle it not well - let them do it because they think they can do better"... may be Leakpai, former PM who is from South himself as I was told, would solve it? surely - will give money to poor villageres in need... anyone believes this?