ตีตนเสมอเจ้า

DavidHouston

Please help me with the phrase "ตีตนเสมอเจ้า" as in the following excerpt from Matichon:

นายชินวัตร หาบุญพาด แกนนำ นปช.ระบุว่าจะจัดงานแซยิดครบรอบ 60 ปีให้พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ ที่ท้องสนามหลวงและหัวเมืองใหญ่ในต่างจังหวัดทั่วประเทศในวันที่ 26 ก.ค.นี้

Mr. Shinawat Haboonphak, the leader of the UDDT announced that [they will be] holding a party in honor of the 60th birthday of Pol. Col Thaksin both in Sanam Luang and in other major provincial centers all around the country on July 26th of this year.

โดยจะจัดให้มีการโฟนอินของพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณไปยังเวทีต่างๆ

They also intend to have Thaksin "phone in" to [these] various locations.

ว่าไม่ทราบว่าพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณมีส่วนรู้เห็นเรื่องนี้หรือไม่

[However,] they do not know whether Thaksin is aware of and acquiesces to [having these parties] or not.

เพราะถ้าพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณมีส่วนรู้เห็นก็ขอเรียกร้องว่าพฤติกรรมดังกล่าว เป็นการตีตนเสมอเจ้าหรือไม่

Because if Thaksin has indeed agreed to and acquiesces in these affairs, he should be aware that this behavior will be called into question as to whether or not he is acting as if he were royalty.

I have assumed that "ตีตนเสมอเจ้า" means "acting as if one were royalty" but in a broader sense it might mean "acting above one's station in life" or "above one's social status". Do you think that this is a correct understanding?

Please also suggest any other corrections to my understanding of these sentences. Thanks.

Please help me with the phrase "ตีตนเสมอเจ้า" as in the following excerpt from Matichon:

นายชินวัตร หาบุญพาด แกนนำ นปช.ระบุว่าจะจัดงานแซยิดครบรอบ 60 ปีให้พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ ที่ท้องสนามหลวงและหัวเมืองใหญ่ในต่างจังหวัดทั่วประเทศในวันที่ 26 ก.ค.นี้

Mr. Shinawat Haboonphak, the leader of the UDDT announced that [they will be] holding a party in honor of the 60th birthday of Pol. Col Thaksin both in Sanam Luang and in other major provincial centers all around the country on July 26th of this year.

โดยจะจัดให้มีการโฟนอินของพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณไปยังเวทีต่างๆ

They also intend to have Thaksin "phone in" to [these] various locations.

ว่าไม่ทราบว่าพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณมีส่วนรู้เห็นเรื่องนี้หรือไม่

[However,] they do not know whether Thaksin is aware of and acquiesces to [having these parties] or not.

เพราะถ้าพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณมีส่วนรู้เห็นก็ขอเรียกร้องว่าพฤติกรรมดังกล่าว เป็นการตีตนเสมอเจ้าหรือไม่

Because if Thaksin has indeed agreed to and acquiesces in these affairs, he should be aware that this behavior will be called into question as to whether or not he is acting as if he were royalty.

I have assumed that "ตีตนเสมอเจ้า" means "acting as if one were royalty" but in a broader sense it might mean "acting above one's station in life" or "above one's social status". Do you think that this is a correct understanding?

Please also suggest any other corrections to my understanding of these sentences. Thanks.

I'd say your interpretation of ตีตนเสมอเจ้า is correct but you seem to have cut off something before this sentence. The ว่าไม่ทราบว่า implies that the article is quoting the comments of another person (not the UDDT leader) about the proposed birthday celebrations. If correct, this will change your translation.

aanon

Here's the complete 'sentence', David:

นายเทพไท ยังกล่าวถึงกรณีที่นายชินวัตร หาบุญพาด แกนนำ นปช.ระบุว่าจะจัดงานแซยิดครบรอบ 60 ปีให้พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ [ที่ท้องสนามหลวงและหัวเมืองใหญ่ในต่างจังหวัดทั่วประเทศในวันที่ 26 ก.ค.นี้ โดยจะจัดให้มีการโฟนอินของพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณไปยังเวทีต่างๆ] ว่าไม่ทราบว่าพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณมีส่วนรู้เห็นเรื่องนี้หรือไม่ เพราะถ้าพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณมีส่วนรู้เห็นก็ขอเรียกร้องว่าพฤติกรรมดังกล่าว เป็นการตีตนเสมอเจ้าหรือไม่

Perhaps it will be easier to see the meaning by first considering the sentence without the info in square brackets.

All the best.

ตีตนเสมอเจ้า is strictly used as "acting as if one were royalty". I never heard anyone use it for general meaning because acting as if.. is a serious offence.

However the word เจ้า can be used wider in other expression for non-Royalty's situation such as:

ข้าสองเจ้า บ่าวสองนาย = The one who loyal to two Royalties/bosses.

Khun Aanon,

Is the following what you had in mind for a rendering of the Thai sentences:

นายเทพไท ยังกล่าวถึงกรณีที่นายชินวัตร หาบุญพาด แกนนำ นปช.ระบุว่าจะจัดงานแซยิดครบรอบ 60 ปีให้พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ [ที่ท้องสนามหลวงและหัวเมืองใหญ่ในต่างจังหวัดทั่วประเทศในวันที่ 26 ก.ค.นี้ โดยจะจัดให้มีการโฟนอินของพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณไปยังเวทีต่างๆ] ว่าไม่ทราบว่าพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณมีส่วนรู้เห็นเรื่องนี้หรือไม่ เพราะถ้าพ.ต.ท.ทักษิณมีส่วนรู้เห็นก็ขอเรียกร้องว่าพฤติกรรมดังกล่าว เป็นการตีตนเสมอเจ้าหรือไม่

Mr. Thepthai discussed the statement of Mr. Shinawatra Habunphat, of the DAAD leadership group. [Mr. Shinawatra] revealed that [his group] is organizing a 60th birthday party for Pol. Col. Thaksin at Sanam Luang and in other major provincial centers to be held on 16 July of this year. [This celebration] will also feature a “phone-in” by Pol. Col. Thaksin to various locations. [Mr. Thepthai] wondered whether or not Pol. Col. Thaksin knew of and agreed to [this birthday party]. If Pol. Col. Thaksin were to know of and participate in [the planning of this celebration], he should be aware of the fact that this behavior might be considered as “acting as if he were royalty”.

What do you think? Thank you all for your replies and comments.

And it is phrases like "โดยจะจัดให้มีการโฟนอินของ" that bring my reading to a halt trying to parse the words "การโฟนอิน" into English. :)

And it is phrases like "โดยจะจัดให้มีการโฟนอินของ" that bring my reading to a halt trying to parse the words "การโฟนอิน" into English. :)

If I can't figure it out in Thai I go 'outside the square' and sound it out as a 'loan word' and sometimes it clicks. Slap the forehead and say 'Of course! (TELE)PHONING IN'.

and yes David, Sanam Luang? The gall of the man! I doubt he could say he didn't know exactly where these parties were going to staged. He is after all directing the whole campaign from deep in the 'bunker'.

Khun Aanon,

Is the following what you had in mind for a rendering of the Thai sentences:

Mr. Thepthai discussed the statement of Mr. Shinawatra Habunphat, of the DAAD leadership group. [Mr. Shinawatra] revealed that [his group] is organizing a 60th birthday party for Pol. Col. Thaksin at Sanam Luang and in other major provincial centers to be held on 16 July of this year. [This celebration] will also feature a "phone-in" by Pol. Col. Thaksin to various locations. [Mr. Thepthai] wondered whether or not Pol. Col. Thaksin knew of and agreed to [this birthday party]. If Pol. Col. Thaksin were to know of and participate in [the planning of this celebration], he should be aware of the fact that this behavior might be considered as "acting as if he were royalty".

What do you think? Thank you all for your replies and comments.

That's better David. You have all the players in their correct roles. If it were important to keep the whole as one sentence, I'd suggest this structure:

"Speaking about _____, Mr Thepthai said that _______."

Also, I find ขอเรียกร้องว่าพฤติกรรมดังกล่าว เป็นการตีตนเสมอเจ้าหรือไม่ to be quite strange because it almost seems like เรียกร้อง [normally 'demand; request; appeal'] is being used as equivalent to ถาม. Another, perhaps better, way of looking at it is that เรียกร้อง here is a shortening of เรียกร้องให้พิจารณา [Thepthai appealed to Thaksin to consider whether...].

อานนท์